• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

MITES !

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 1169
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
iloveanimals said:
Ive got an opinion up by ringing 2 up ! They said its ok to treat them with the shampoo and spray and cream i already have for mites andif they dont work then book for a consultation after so thats what I'm going to do . :)
SHAMPOO AND SPRAY is a not what you need you NEED TO SEE A VET ASAP anything off the pet shop shelf is no good.

PerfectPiggies said:
Well thats your choice, but you might want to read up on mites, and what it can do to babies as young as you have, and sows that have just given birth....basically it can result in death.

It is your choice to keep that many animals, so it is your responsibility and the animals right to get medical care. It is illegal for you to leave them there suffering.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you sound like you are allergic to the vet!

There are lots of treatments that dont involve a needle, but if it has got to the stage where hair is missing here there and everywhere, that will probably be the fastest and most effective method.

Take them to the vets, even if not for treatment, just for an opinion :)
I agree 100% with you Cherry
iloveanimals if you do love your animals get them seen too by a vet all of them.

Of course i :smitten: love my piggys all of them BUT not all of them have mites is ALL I'm saying so I'm NOT going to put them in an uncomfortable condition when they dont need to be ::)

iloveanimals said:
Of course i :smitten: love my piggys all of them BUT not all of them have mites is ALL I'm saying so I'm NOT going to put them in an uncomfortable condition when they dont need to be ::)
All I can say is your being very silly about this we have given the correct advice on taking each and everyone of your animals to get the treatment they need. Then you have the nerve to roll your eyes. My best friend is a vet and has been for the last ten years. I have been trained by her to do injections among other things. I could very easily go and get all the stuff and treat your animals for you at cost cheaper than the vets. I live a stones throw from where you live you know that. There is no need to give a teenage wobble at me I am only telling you what NEEDS to be done to save the lives of each and everyone of your animals.

Yes i no that and i didnt roll my eyes for real its only an icon ! I clicked the wrong one ? But thanks everyone 1

All I'm saying is there my piggies and I'm treating them
I'm ringing vets tomorrow already rang 2 ! Just o compare prices and what involves. I'm not paying £40 odd pound for a spray for definite or a cream or shampoo as i already have all those.

Ill let you all know what happens. :)

Keep us posted won't you, if its GG products you need to tell her if they are working as you'd expect too :)

Hi I'm sorry but i didnt get you ? tell who that its not working ?

Sorry, I meant if you got the shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas :) but you haven't, got mixed up ::) Keep us posted anyway.

I know you've read all the other posts and made your decision but I just felt the need to reiterate a point. If you treat your pigs that have it now and not the rest then the other piggys that have the mites, (even though they are showing no signs at the moment) will reinfect the pigs you are getting treated which in the end will add to your cost for medcation.
Mites can be difficult to get rid of when you have a lot of pigs. I only have 4 and it took me three treatments to be sure I got rid of them because I rescued a pig with severe mites. My other 3 showed no signs and were kept in a separate room but prevention is a lot easier than curing. I'm hoping you've already taken this into account.

Just an extra point, the sprays and shampoos are not very effective against mites. They may say that they get rid of them but if you check the ingredients and they do not contain ivermectin then you are wasting your time and money. Only ivermectin is efficient against mites/mange mites. They are the same thing.

Yep, oral Ivermectin on day one and ten and a bath on day three to get rid of any eggs and ease any sore skin :)

The ivemec I use is oral. Its only £11 including post(price at february). The person who sells it is a breeder and shows his guinea pigs so he knows what he is doing. I would strongly recommend contacting him to buy some.

I'm on holiday as from tomorrow but can anser any pms when i get back

You must treat all piggies if even only 1 has it.

I'm far from an expert on this, I'm new to piggies but have gained a wealth of info form this forum and online.

I would say it is far far kinder to take them to the vet and get them an injection to get rid of the mites, that will hurt for 2 seconds or so, than to have them ill and hurting far more with untreated mites.
It is a bit like having a child and putting them in for an operation, that you know is going to do them good, but you just about can't bear to let them go through because it will hurt and they are your babies. But the long term effects will be much better than the very short term pain of an injection.

Just to also add, my John Anderson has had treatment for mites form the vet..3 lots drops on his back which doesn't hurt at all. He also had an injection of antiobiotics because he was scratching at one particular spot and it was getting really red. A day or so later and the red bit was gone, his fur starting to grow back and one happy piggie.
Also get some shampoo and melt form gorgeous guineas (email them to ask if ok for babies, etc) and with a combination of both, your piggies should be healthy and happy.

But please please don't let the thought of a 2 second hurt injection put you off going to the vets.

She hasnt used GG, she has used another shampoo filled with chemicals, that does work anyway (ive used to in the past) and used it on guinea pigs that are only a few weeks old, and still taking milk from mum!

The fact that they are babies, says to me that even trying to treat them yourself is just irresponsible!

Piggiewiggy said:
The ivemec I use is oral. Its only £11 including post(price at february). The person who sells it is a breeder and shows his guinea pigs so he knows what he is doing. I would strongly recommend contacting him to buy some.

I'm on holiday as from tomorrow but can anser any pms when i get back

You must treat all piggies if even only 1 has it.
She has 11 baby pigs. It is against the law to not seek veternary help.
iloveanimals have you got an appointment at a vets today I am offering you a lift there :)

edited on request

Nope - I'm considering just going to go round the corner to my local one which is the most expensive but they said theyve got a spray or something for mites would this be good ? as ive heard you need an injection ? it will be £42 98)

I can imagine the injection being better as it has been proven to work. Go for the Injection 100% no matter how much it costs! ITS THE PIGGIES LIFE THAT COUNTS, not money!

I dont no who will give them injections though as they all said different things and I'm confused - some say they treat them with spot on - mite spray - 1 box of 6 tubes for £20 or something - I just dont no. :(

The injection is obviously straight into the blood stream, so works well...if they are bad, they will suggest that.

Spot On is not as effective and if its mange mites they need oral or injection depending on the severity.

Just gonna ring my mum to see if i can go to the vets - But ill have to walk with them for a bit.

Its gonna cost over £45 so ill update soon. I think :-\ Thats if they give me an appointment for today

PumpkinPiggies has already offered you a lift, if you ask her I am sure she wont mind...

And shes brilliant with guineas, so she might be able to have a look, and maybe even treat them if you ask her and give her a donation to her pigs...worth a try!

How an she treat them - they need professional advice dont they ? :-\ I dont mind waking

I dont know, talk to her not me! ;D

I just know she knows a lot when it comes to guineas, and if its not too bad, might be able to treat it for you...maybe saving you money :)

Well, my mum said ive got to use the stuff i bought for them not long ago just in case for mites etc or wait for her to come back and take them as we dont have to pay if i can ask my dad or someone.

if you arent going to take them to a vet, at least let pumpkin help you!

The stuff you brought is cr*p and will not help them, if anything it will end up poisoning them!

I paid loads for that c**p ! Just in case, well my mum said cant you bath them or something and i said i already have and she said well ask your dad ! Well, i dont no when shes coming back but she just said ring my dad to take me. >:(

[colorr]Mos not

I am locking this topic as I think th original postr now has th avic sh ns to ci what to o nxt. Plas not that as a forum w always support ownrs sking vtrinary tratmnt as soon as possibl as it is in th bst intrst of th pigs.

Mmbrs ar rmin about th forum ruls about bing polit an civil as som of th posts on this thra ar anything but.

Plas contact m if you hav any quris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back