• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

MITES !

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 1169
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1169

My sow and her 5 bubs have mites / mange mites :(

Well, whats the difference ?
Where can i get the oral ivermectin from ?
How do i prevent mites from coming back again ?

Help all your advice on mites PLEASE :-\

Its gonna cost £40 or more pound for a consultation and a spray :'(

Do NOT buy that invermec from Ebay. You need to take ALL the piggies to the vets for treatment. They all need three treatments 7 to 10 days apart. An injection costs £4 at vets for pets in bulwell each one of your piggies needs doing. Please do not buy anything that is the wrong strength for piggies.

I agree with the above, they all need to go to the vets, esp as they are babies! Check all 22 other guineas too!

Please listen to us iloveanimals take them all to the vets ASAP if you need spare carriers ect JUST ask I live pretty near you will help you any way I can :) just please get them ALL seen by a vet. I know you dont like Byrons and yes they are pricey. Go to vets for pets they are open till 7pm every week night.

Ok ive also rang davisons too both are around £40 so why is vets 4 pets only £4 ?

teh actual injection costs that, its the consultations that are more money.

Babies with mites need to see a vet and get treatment started urgently. You could lose them if they are not treated very quickly.

It is more than likely that your other pigs will have contracted them as well so they will need the vets too.

There are plenty of forum members in your area who I am sure would be more than willing to check your other pigs over too to sort out who needs treatment so you can get it under control nice and quickly.

well I'm ringing vets 4 pets tomorrow to see how much they are all together.

I saw on another forum she has bathed them al (mum and bubs )l in a johnsons mite shampoo...

I am really worried as they arent even a week old (i am sure they have to be 14 week + ) and obviously the mum is nursing so there is a lot of chance of ingestion, poisioning, whatever

Is this a really bad risk?

I know of a very reputable person you can get it from. YOU do not have to go to the vets. I use it on my piggies. Its not from Ebay either. PM and i will give you the details.

iloveanimals said:
well I'm ringing vets 4 pets tomorrow to see how much they are all together.
Good its £15 consultation then £4 per pig for its injection so thats £96 then £15 on top of that then two more lots of £96 for the other doses they ALL need

WHATTTTT ? WHERES £96 COME FROM ? theres only 6 of them ! ?

They need more than one dose!

ANd i am sure they shouldnt have been shampooed in that stuff you used until they are at least 12/14 weeks!

so £15 + £24 = £4 each injection :-\ = £39 How many times 2 ? = £78 ?

Piggiewiggy said:
I know of a very reputable person you can get it from. YOU do not have to go to the vets. I use it on my piggies. Its not from Ebay either. PM and i will give you the details.
Sorry but the op is 17 and the Vets is where she should go

I agree, you should not be told to use that yourself unless you know what you are doing...

these are baby guinea pigs, she NEEDS to go to the vet!

No they dont ! I'm not letting my bubs go through with a needle i cant bear it ! I'm not letting my bubs suffer from a needle i just cant let them go through that when they havent got mites :-\ :'(

I was reply to pumkin by the way ,meaning not all my piggies have mites and some are tiny bubs and I'm not letting them go through with having a needle stuck in them :-\

iloveanimals said:
No they dont ! I'm not letting my bubs go through with a needle i cant bear it ! I'm not letting my bubs suffer from a needle i just cant let them go through that when they havent got mites :-\ :'(
They need it and its takes two seconds Vets may give the babies a spot on treatment. Look even though they might not show signs of mites every single piggie you have needs treating at the same time. Do not mess about get them ALL to the vets. If you dont you could lose them ALL.

I'm gonna treat my 6 piggys that have mites first thats my prioritie :( Then if any others show signs then ill get them treated too. But at the moment only 6 of my piggys have mites so I'm NOT going to let my others get put through pain for nothing ! :-X

Well thats your choice, but you might want to read up on mites, and what it can do to babies as young as you have, and sows that have just given birth....basically it can result in death.

It is your choice to keep that many animals, so it is your responsibility and the animals right to get medical care. It is illegal for you to leave them there suffering.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you sound like you are allergic to the vet!

There are lots of treatments that dont involve a needle, but if it has got to the stage where hair is missing here there and everywhere, that will probably be the fastest and most effective method.

Take them to the vets, even if not for treatment, just for an opinion :)

Ive got an opinion up by ringing 2 up ! They said its ok to treat them with the shampoo and spray and cream i already have for mites andif they dont work then book for a consultation after so thats what I'm going to do . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back