Malnourished Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
H
Hello everyone! Passing by to give a little update on Stanley.
He seems a lot, lot, happier. He squeaks all the time, especially when he wants cucumber, doesn't hide in his little house anymore, and doesn't play dead when I put him on the ground.
However, I noticed something earlier that got me worried. When I let him out of his cage yesterday, he peed a little on the floor and when I cleaned it I noticed that his urine is not clear, is actually brownish. Is that normal? I am worried it may be blood in his urine. Has anyone seen urine like that?
have you given him any carrots or beetroot? That can colour the urine sometimes. But certainly ask on the Health and Illness section in case it is something else. Pleased he seems to be settling in.

Welcome to the forum, Stanley is a brilliant name, my first piggy was called Stanley. :tu:

025.jpg

H

have you given him any carrots or beetroot? That can colour the urine sometimes. But certainly ask on the Health and Illness section in case it is something else. Pleased he seems to be settling in.
I haven't given him carrots in a few days, and I've never given him any beetroot. I changed his bedding to a absorbent pad, and it's white. So I'll observe, if it's indeed brown urine, I'll take him to the vet. I read online that urine darkens after it oxidizes, so maybe it was that.
He does seem to be adapting better. He does get bored so easily. I need to get him a companion and a bigger cage, but I'll only be able to do that in a couple of months. Looked online for DIY toys and I'll fetch him some today, and hopefully he will be a bit less bored.
Welcome to the forum, Stanley is a brilliant name, my first piggy was called Stanley. :tu:

025.jpg
Oh, what a cute piggie. He looks so adorable

He was a very friendly fella, we were very sad when we lost him at 6 years of age.

I haven't given him carrots in a few days, and I've never given him any beetroot. I changed his bedding to a absorbent pad, and it's white. So I'll observe, if it's indeed brown urine, I'll take him to the vet. I read online that urine darkens after it oxidizes, so maybe it was that.
He does seem to be adapting better. He does get bored so easily. I need to get him a companion and a bigger cage, but I'll only be able to do that in a couple of months. Looked online for DIY toys and I'll fetch him some today, and hopefully he will be a bit less bored.

Oh, what a cute piggie. He looks so adorable

Urine usually dries a yellow to orangey to rusty colour on white towels, but you only need to worry if you either find reddish spots in the middle of a patch or a reddish rim around a differently coloured urine patch - this indicates blood in the urine.

A very simple boredom breaker is to use a large paper bag and put some hay and small pieces of veg in it, then leave it on its side in the cage. Guinea pigs will love a good rummage! If the paper is fairly thin it will tear if the piggy happens to panic and tries to get out of the wrong end, but I have never had that happen.

Urine usually dries a yellow to orangey to rusty colour on white towels, but you only need to worry if you either find reddish spots in the middle of a patch or a reddish rim around a differently coloured urine patch - this indicates blood in the urine.
I checked his bedding and it looks more like a rusty colour as you said. I'll continue to observe, but I believe I have nothing to worry about

A very simple boredom breaker is to use a large paper bag and put some hay and small pieces of veg in it, then leave it on its side in the cage. Guinea pigs will love a good rummage! If the paper is fairly thin it will tear if the piggy happens to panic and tries to get out of the wrong end, but I have never had that happen.
I'll have to check some stores, and see if I can find paper bags, cause here the markets and shops don't give any. But I found some toys, pet safe, and put in his cage. Also I saw online a DIY treat hanger, and he loves it.

Thank you all very much for helping me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back