• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump on chin

Honey&truffle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve just noticed a lump on my pigs chin. It’s quite big . What could it be?
It don’t seem to hurt her when touched and she is eating and drinking as normal .

the white lines is how big it is .

Attachments

• IMG_8359.webp
    IMG_8359.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 3
I agree. Get it checked out. Then we will be able to give you the correct information with regards to our experiences. Good luck. ❤️

I would get her checked by a vet. It could be so many different things! Cyst, abscess, all sorts.
It's good she's acting and eating normally though 😊

Thank you guys! Gonna try get her into the vets tomorrow for them to have a look at it ! Just so annoying that I’ve got all these issues going on one after the other ! ❤️

Update . Good news it was an abcess which has been drained now and she is on antibiotics too. We also have to clean the wound x2 daily and make sure it doesn’t scab over .

How do these occur in the first place ?
Glad you got it sorted. I’ve had a piggy with an abscess under his chin. His was from his tooth root. Not sure how he got it. Do her front teeth look ok? Has she been prescribed any painkillers? What type of antibiotics is she on and for how long? Sorry for all the questions. lol.

Glad you got it sorted. I’ve had a piggy with an abscess under his chin. His was from his tooth root. Not sure how he got it. Do her front teeth look ok? Has she been prescribed any painkillers? What type of antibiotics is she on and for how long? Sorry for all the questions. lol.
He said it’s not from her teeth as it’s too far down to be that. So I’m confused as to what’s caused this? Her front teeth look normal from what I can tell. She’s been prescribed metacam and Baytril. Unsure how long for . I guess until I finish the bottle. She’s got to go back in 2 weeks.

Ok. That all sounds good. Hopefully it will be all sorted by then. My boy had 6 weeks of antibiotics but his abscess was 4cm across 😢

Facial/neck abscesses if not caused by infected tooth roots can be caused by any injury to the skin becoming infected so scratching themselves with a sharp claw, being nipped or scratched by a cage mate, hay poke to skin would be some reasons that spring to mind. I had one guinea pig who had 3 during his life time, one in his neck and 2 on his face. For some strange reason it seemed to be just Peanut (out of 6 piggies) who was troubled this way.

I hope your piggy heals up quickly.

Ok. That all sounds good. Hopefully it will be all sorted by then. My boy had 6 weeks of antibiotics but his abscess was 4cm across 😢
Awww bless him. Yes they said if it doesn’t go away they may need to operate on it because of how big it is . So fingers crossed 🤞

Facial/neck abscesses if not caused by infected tooth roots can be caused by any injury to the skin becoming infected so scratching themselves with a sharp claw, being nipped or scratched by a cage mate, hay poke to skin would be some reasons that spring to mind. I had one guinea pig who had 3 during his life time, one in his neck and 2 on his face. For some strange reason it seemed to be just Peanut (out of 6 piggies) who was troubled this way.

I hope your piggy heals up quickly.
Thank you! That makes sense . And wow , they seem pretty common then! Tbh the bale of hay I’ve been using recently has been sharper than normal so maybe it’s that

Is 0.9ml x1 daily baytril safe I’m overthinking it all now because my other pig was on x2 daily .

She’s 1.2kg.

When Pepper first has his abscess he was on 0.5 baytril once a day. This did not work at all. He was 1.2kg as well. So hopefully your higher dose will do the trick 🤞🏻

When Pepper first has his abscess he was on 0.5 baytril once a day. This did not work at all. He was 1.2kg as well. So hopefully your higher dose will do the trick 🤞🏻
Would you say this incision is open and unscabbed? She was such a good girl letting me do it lifting her head up for me 🥺 but it’s still difficult to know if I’m doing it right bevause nothing was oozing out . I wasn’t told to squeeze it , just to make sure it’s open and take the scab off .

Attachments

• IMG_8403.webp
    IMG_8403.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 4
Looks nice and open at the moment. Maybe give it a little squeeze, towards the hole to see if any thing comes out. What did your vet give you to flush it? I used a plastic syringe (with no needle) and put it right in the hole

Also nothing oozed out of Peppers either. I still flushed it and kept it open as long as I could (10 days)

Looks nice and open at the moment. Maybe give it a little squeeze, towards the hole to see if any thing comes out. What did your vet give you to flush it? I used a plastic syringe (with no needle) and put it right in the hole
I haven’t been given anything to flush it. Hes just told me to bathe it with boiled warm water and take the scab off it . Should I maybe flush it?

I’m thinking maybe nothings coming out at the moment because the vets already got loads out and I heard it takes a while for more to make its way out.

Well as it was quite a small abscess your vet is probably hoping the antibiotics will clear it up. Just do what the vets advised but keep a close eye on it in case it flares up again.

Well as it was quite a small abscess your vet is probably hoping the antibiotics will clear it up. Just do what the vets advised but keep a close eye on it in case it flares up again.
Was he poorly from the abcess or a side effect from the antibiotics ? That’s not very good . I wory about side effects with things

He lost about 200g because his tooth was hurting but we didn’t know that to start with. Then it became a huge abscess which was operated on and stitched open. Then the operation and very strong antibiotics caused the not eating. Then he lost the tooth.

He lost about 200g because his tooth was hurting but we didn’t know that to start with. Then it became a huge abscess which was operated on and stitched open. Then the operation and very strong antibiotics caused the not eating. Then he lost the tooth.
Oh bless him . Yeah I’ve heard the tooth abscesses aren’t very nice :(. It’s so hard to know what’s up with them isn’t it . Silly pigs !

Do you know why the vet would tell me to use 2.5 kg dog weight of the dog metacam with that dog syringe . Because when I measure it into the normal 1ml syringe it is not even 0.1 which seems like nothing . But my mums saying it seems double the amount of what my dog has . But I’ve read that Guinea pigs have more metacam than dogs because they metabolise it differently .

Do you know why the vet would tell me to use 2.5 kg dog weight of the dog metacam with that dog syringe . Because when I measure it into the normal 1ml syringe it is not even 0.1 which seems like nothing . But my mums saying it seems double the amount of what my dog has . But I’ve read that Guinea pigs have more metacam than dogs because they metabolise it differently .

Usually you do not use the dog weight syringe that comes with it.
My vet calculates the dosage, gets rid of the dog/cat weight syringe and gives me a normal 1ml syringe.
Dog metacam is three times stronger than cat metacam so the amount needed is smaller.
Piggies can tolerate quite high doses.
Your vet will have calculated the dose based on weight and clinical need. It does seem to be quite a low dose. If you are concerned your piggy is in pain, then please speak to the vet again. Dosages can be adjusted.

Is she getting pain meds twice a day? Piggies metabolise them in around 12 hours so once dose every 24 hours usually isn’t enough.
With that said, with a smaller dose, it would need to be given once a day due to the fact that splitting it would render each half dose all but useless.

Make sure you are weighing her each morning so you can be sure she is still eating plenty of hay. Any medical issue and pain can cause them to not eat enough and you could need to step in with syringe feeding.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Usually you do not use the dog weight syringe that comes with it.
My vet calculates the dosage, gets rid of the dog/cat weight syringe and gives me a normal 1ml syringe.
Dog metacam is three times stronger than cat metacam so the amount needed is smaller.
Piggies can tolerate quite high doses.
Your vet will have calculated the dose based on weight and clinical need. It does seem to be quite a low dose. If you are concerned your piggy is in pain, then please speak to the vet again. Dosages can be adjusted.

Is she getting pain meds twice a day? Piggies metabolise them in around 12 hours so once dose every 24 hours usually isn’t enough.
With that said, with a smaller dose, it would need to be given once a day due to the fact that splitting it would render each half dose all but useless.

Make sure you are weighing her each morning so you can be sure she is still eating plenty of hay. Any medical issue and pain can cause them to not eat enough and you could need to step in with syringe feeding.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Basically the vet didn’t give me metacam as I said I’ve got some at home for my dog so we can use that to save buying more . He just said to use 2.5kg dog dose weight but we’ve called up and the receptionist also said this. So I’m quite confused as they won’t give it me in mls.

I’ve been giving 0.3ml x2 daily at the moment just to give me time to work out the dosages . She doesn’t seem to be in any pain at the moment which is good but I guess it helps with the inflammation side of the abscess too . Do you know what the highest I can go up to with the metacam just incase . She is 1.2kg .

Pepper was prescribed 0.4 dog loxicom twice a day when he was 1.2kg by a very good guinea pig vet.

If she seems ok on 0.3 I’d leave it at that for now and see how she gets on.

This morning to tonight.
I think it’s looking better already. So hard to get the scab off and make sure it’s open . Does it look open? I’m unsure wether it’s healing on the inside or not

Attachments

• IMG_8411.webp
    IMG_8411.webp
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8425.webp
    IMG_8425.webp
    53 KB · Views: 3
Back