• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Just booked Simbas Castration U/D - Its today and hes now home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Tuesday 1st May.
Can anyone tell me what to expect? I've had rats 'done' in the past and I keep them in a seperate cage on vet bed for a few days post-castration. Is it the same for guinea pigs? How long until he could meet his potential girlfriend?
Any other advice?

Re: Just booked Simbas Castration

Hi Debs. I had my little boy done yesterday and like you I didn't know what to expect. I took him just before nine and he was all finished just after 10! When he was home last night he was a bit subdued but this morning (24 hours after) he's back to his little self. Last night he didn't poo or wee much but this morning there was loads so I know at least one part of him is working!

He has a C&C cage but I made it a bit smaller to limit his movement and have lined his cage with newspaper and white towels (I looked at jackie's piggies about hospital cages). From reading the forum and other people's experiences as long as you keep an eye on him and clean his cage every couple of hours he should be fine. I looked at Spike's bits (or lack of) this morning and couldn't tell that anything had been done!

Thank you so much for that :D
Can he eat the night before? Do I restrict his food the day after aswell? Or just feed him like normal?
I hope he doesnt look too different 'down there'...I'm very proud of my boys manly bits! haha. But its gotta be done so he can get a girlfriend!

Spike didn't have much down there anywhere compared to my cousin's guinea pig so he doesn't look any different!

You don't have to restrict food. I just didn't give him his morning veggies but he had hay and food all night.

Simba has his hay spread over his cage and he just eats that...that will be a problem post-op wont it? In case it irritates the wound. Shall I just put small piles in regiularly, so it doesnt go everywhere?

@Debs111 said:
Simba has his hay spread over his cage and he just eats that...that will be a problem post-op wont it? In case it irritates the wound. Shall I just put small piles in regiularly, so it doesnt go everywhere?
Put hat into a hay rack and bed them on towels for at least a week do not give less food than normal. The day of op give everything as you would normally.

Spike has a pile anyway. I wouldn't have thought hay on the floor would be a good idea just in case and to be on the safe side. I daren't put in a hay rack for Spike. The only ones I've dound have a metal bit sticking our for a mineral stone but with Spike being so skitty he would lose an eye!

Hes currently in a Zoozone cage (until I get his Tommy cage) so no bars so no room for a hayrack :)

hi, after i had star done was told not to put him with the sows for 4 weeks, don't know if this is the same advice everywhere.
i didn't restrict his food before the op, guinea pigs can't vomit so you can carry on feeding as normal, i just had to take hay and pellets in on the day of the op, so he could start eating as soon as possible, i kept him on towels for about a week, and changed them regularly, just put a handful of hay in at a time for eating, and fed him as normal.
star didn't even look as if he had been operated on, he was as bright as a button when i picked him up, and all went well.
have you made sure your vets are experienced with the procedure, it's worth asking what their success rate is.
hope it all goes well, keep us updated.

They've been brilliant with my rats castrations and any other procedures (lump removals, cat spaying, various other rat treatments etc) so I'm sure they'd be ok :)

of course forgot you said about your rats, yes they must be fine, silly me.
By the way my daughter is thinking about getting rats,and she is busy finding out about them, what same sex pair is best to get? any other info would be great. she has already found out alot about them.

Well the day has arrived and I am SO nervous for my baby :( :-\

good luck simba, sure he will be fine,
I'm nervous too,patch (gonna change his name)who I am re-homing from the RSPCA has been booked in sometime this week for his neutering, don't know when though, will phone Friday to see how things have gone.

good luck to simba hope everything goes ok :-\

I hope all goes well. You will have to keep him separated for at least three weeks, after three weeks he can be put with a girlfriend but many people give it an extra week or two to be on the safe side. The reason why you should feed them like you normally would is because the food absorbs the anaesthetic, increasing the chances of them getting through the op. The only special treatment I gave my guineas was making sure their environment was clean and dry at all times but apart from that I didn't do anything else. :)

maisydaisystar said:
of course forgot you said about your rats, yes they must be fine, silly me.
By the way my daughter is thinking about getting rats,and she is busy finding out about them, what same sex pair is best to get? any other info would be great. she has already found out alot about them.

I would get at least three, either one neutered male and two females or a same sex group of males or females.

Re: Just booked Simbas Castration U/D - Its today!

So would you keep them om the bedding they're used to? Or put newspaper down instead?
Simba beds on cardboard squares.

when star was neutered i kept him on regularly changed towels for about 10 days, but put handfulls of hay for eating in a corner.

@Debs111 said:
So would you keep them om the bedding they're used to? Or put newspaper down instead?
Simba beds on cardboard squares.

I put newspaper down when my guineas had their ops. O0

Just rung up and everythings gone fine, hes just coing round and I gotta ring bakc in an hour to see when I can colelct him :D

Brilliant news and he will be much happier when he is put with a little girlie, even though he has at least three weeks to wait. O0

So pleased it's gone ok. When my little guy got done I didn't sleep a wink the night before!

I made his cage a little bit smaller for a few days and just laid newspaper and got some really cheap white towels from Tesco and changed them regularly. Also I got told to check the wound twice a day to check for swelling etc.

Oh and if you already have a girl friend fro him don't do what I did and get the cages confused before 3 weeks is up... I nearly had a coronary!

Get well soon Simba :)

well done little man :smitten:

Getting 1 or 2 gitlfriends for him next week...and then Simba will meet them on the 1st June :D

If he's anything like Spike he will love it! Rumbling is so funny to watch... it's like a guinea pig trance/raindance.

Buffy on the otherhand is so disinterested in him! She just puts her bum up to the divider (next to his face) and poops! Says it all really!

@Debs111 said:
Getting 1 or 2 gitlfriends for him next week...and then Simba will meet them on the 1st June :D

That's nice. Are you buying them or rescuing them? Whatever you do can we have some pictures. :)

miss_piggy said:
If he's anything like Spike he will love it! Rumbling is so funny to watch... it's like a guinea pig trance/raindance.

Buffy on the otherhand is so disinterested in him! She just puts her bum up to the divider (next to his face) and poops! Says it all really!

ahahahaha nice one Buffy

and watching piggies rumble is so funny,the other pigs just sit there like " whatever"

Buying them, its easier :)

Hes home anyuway! Not a happy piggie AT ALL! Very very sulky but has done a pile of massive poops and has made Mummy very proud of him! Now just to see him eat...

;D He sounds like he knows what has gone on, but wait and till he finds out the rewards. ;D

Yeah he'll find out its all worth it!
The vet nurse said I could let him meet girls in 5days :o But I think I'll give it at leeast 3weeks! Dont want baby piggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back