Is it okay to have 2 male guinea pigs together?

Obsxura

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

I’ve only ever had female guinea pigs together throughout my life (only two males during separate times, when I was very young and another one years later).

Now I am just wondering if it’s okay to have two male guinea pigs together?

They will be from the same breeder and would have lived together already before I get them.

My question is, is it okay to have two males, since they’re going to be growing together?

I know it may be a silly question, but as I mentioned, I’ve only ever had females in pairs and had no issues there, so I’m just asking here to be certain that my decision is either okay or not!

They would have many hideouts and hay and two separate water bottles and all other accessories that would keep them both entertained and safe from accidental injuries.

Also my guinea pigs are I guess “free range”😆 they are free to roam the whole house whenever we are at home (which is always pretty much).

I have linked a thread for you, it explains what works and what doesn't. Yes you can have two boars together, many of us prefer them. They can fall out as can sows but there are many happy pairs on this forum.

Yes it’s absolutely fine - many of us, myself included have boar pairs. Boars tend to become friendlier as they age and that is one reason why I prefer boars to sows.

What matters for any pair, regardless of their sex, is character compatibility. Being from the same litter or being babies together doesn’t actually mean much. They have to be compatible and this is why getting babies does come with some risks - you won’t know if they are compatible until they are in their teens.
Most boar pairs make it together than not though so while you do need to be aware of the risks and have a plan for a fall out (which is they will need to be caged side by side without physical contact), don’t let it worry you too much

Make sure their cage is large (if they are ever to be locked into a space even for a short time each day it needs to meet sizing) - sizing for boar pairs is bigger than sows pairs - boars need 180x60cm.
You need multiple of every item and it is very important that you do not use any hides which only have one exit (single exit hides can mean one pig traps the other inside and can be a flash point for issues particularly with teen boars)

I have had only one boar pair as I fell in love with a sow twenty years ago when I restarted my piggy story but I do love my 'husboars' (neutered boars living with sows). Boys often mellow with age while sows become more uptight in older age with their hormones never slowing down.

1727459501201.webp

You may also find these guides here helpful for learning more about what maks boars tick and how to work around the challenges that come because our pet system and not because boars a re bad.

Back