• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Inoperable tumour

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bianca is our piggy with ovarian cysts. Looking back I first posted about the possibility of her having these over two years ago. When it was finally clear that this was indeed the problem, we decided to go for cyst-draining rather than an operation. Ever since, we have kept a very close eye on her behaviour so as to judge when she appears to be getting uncomfortable. We took her back many months ago for a check, but it would have been too risky as the cysts were small and too near an artery. So, the one drainage of the cysts seems to have kept her going for almost two years.

In the past couple of weeks, we noticed that she had lost more fur around the middle (because of the cysts) and looked more rotund in that area (I assumed because of the cysts). Her behaviour remained, and remains, lively, so I held off taking her to the vets just yet ... until yesterday, when we found bright red blood on some hay and we noticed that her bottom was dirty. £200 later, we learnt that she has an inoperable mass around both kidneys (I think 4 cm in diameter). Nothing to do with the cysts, which couldn't be seen because of the tumour.

So, although she still seems her normal self, lively and with appetite, she is a very poorly piggy. The vet has given her a larger dose than usual of a stronger painkiller than usual, to be given twice a day. We continue to monitor her behaviour, albeit even more closely and anxiously, as we now need to judge when the right time comes for euthanasia.... The vet counselled against us taking a larger sized bottle of painkiller because it wouldn't all be used ... so it's most definitely less than six months. Perhaps one.

My question at the moment pertains to her bottom. It is even dirtier than when we took her to the vets yesterday. My supposition is that she is too uncomfortable to bend over to clean it, although I would have thought that the strong painkiller would have alleviated that. Perhaps she is just too distended. I attach some photos of her. My daughter tried to clean her bottom very gently with water on a cloth yesterday, but didn't get it all off then. What do you advise we do? They are not piggies that like being handled (Bianca will barely tolerate a stroke) and so we only really handle them for weighing and nail clipping. The vet commented, after doing the ultrasound, that she is very tender across her underside. We can't leave her bottom like this, though, can we? We don't want to distress her.

.B.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpg

Ophelia and Bianca turned 5 today, so I also attach a picture of them with a special birthday vegetable platter.

B4.jpg

Oh poor girlie. I’m sorry about the diagnosis and that you’re in this position. I appreciate you don’t want to distress her but it’s necessary to keep her clean and dry to prevent other problems. Even though she doesn’t like it I’d give her a very quick bum bath and if possible keep her on vet bed as that drains pee away and helps keep piggies drier.

Thank you so much for your reply. I immediately went and looked up 'bum baths' here, so she had one, accompanied by nuggets, in the bowl for the weighing scale. It looks a lot better. My daughter said she has seen her curling up upon herself to scratch, so why would it be that she is no longer cleaning herself there? Or is it that there just too much wee (and blood) as the kidneys are implicated (the vet thought that the reason for the blood)?

IMG_2663.jpg

Is fleece not like vet bed? Do I buy one of those on amazon that are advertised for dogs and cats?

Poor little lady, you can buy vet bed for cats and dogs it usually has a green back (bottom side)
vet bed is quick thick and curly and is excellent at wicking any pee away from the surface and should help her keep dryer

Vet bed and vet fleece are very similar - both are very good for draining wee away and keeping the surface dry. You can cut it to the size you want and can cut small pieces to go under houses/beds and then change them more frequently. It’s often advertised for cats and dogs, but it’s definitely suitable for guinea pigs. You can wash and dry it very quickly in the washing machine.

Well done for giving her a bum bath. She probably feels a little better for it. Sometimes if they are not feeling well or are in pain they do not move around as much and end up sitting in their own wee, which is why they can get very wet and dirty. This is even more so if they have either a kidney problem or a urine infection because they are producing more wee or sometimes even constantly dribbling wee. If they are in discomfort, they can find it difficult to clean themselves properly round the back end and that is also another reason why they end up looking dirty.

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry. It is always so tough when you come up against an untreatable health issue. Is she on painkillers?

Cut the vetbed into suitable pads for her preferred denning area, which you can easily exchange 2-3 times a day to minimise the impact.

You may find the further practical care advice in this link here helpful; your problem is not just the bum but the soles of the feet and the whole undercarriage and how to look after it. Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

How to lift up a piggy without handling them: How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

This is a guide I am never happy to link in but you may find it helpful for the coming weeks. It has a section that deals with caring for terminally ill guinea pigs and aims to be a practical guide to help you with the various challenges you inevitably come up against during that time in order to help you make the best of it so you feel less helpless and overwhelmed.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Would it be better if we took Ophelia with us to the vet for Bianca's sake, or leave her behind for her own sake? It has not at all been helped by the fact that a family member suddenly passed away two days before her diagnosis. We will also have a house sitter soon after we put her to sleep and I'm worried how Ophelia will behave during grieving.

Would it be better if we took Ophelia with us to the vet for Bianca's sake, or leave her behind for her own sake? It has not at all been helped by the fact that a family member suddenly passed away two days before her diagnosis. We will also have a house sitter soon after we put her to sleep and I'm worried how Ophelia will behave during grieving.

Hi

HUGS

I am ever so sorry for your family loss and that is all coming together in a big storm.

Please give the clinic a call and ask them how they handle guinea pig euthanasia, and what your options are.

Personally, I tend to take an already dying piggy that has removed themselves from their mates (inside the cage, usually a hut or a corner) and whose mates have already made their goodbye visit on their own but I bring home the body in case the companions/companion want to come up for a last sniff or lick (not all will).

Hi

HUGS

I am ever so sorry for your family loss and that is all coming together in a big storm.

Please give the clinic a call and ask them how they handle guinea pig euthanasia, and what your options are.

Personally, I tend to take an already dying piggy that has removed themselves from their mates (inside the cage, usually a hut or a corner) and whose mates have already made their goodbye visit on their own but I bring home the body in case the companions/companion want to come up for a last sniff or lick (not all will).
Thank you

It’s very hard when we know a piggy is dying.
By spoiling her, giving her lots of treats, making happy memories you are doing everything right.
Remember that you are already grieving for her.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
Thank you. This is very true :hug:

Terminal care is such a bitter-sweet time.

But by cherishing together the joys still to be had while you are grieving underneath makes the pain bearable and also means that you will be spared the normal guilt/soul-searching trip after the loss.

Terminal care is such a bitter-sweet time.

But by cherishing together the joys still to be had while you are grieving underneath makes the pain bearable and also means that you will be spared the normal guilt/soul-searching trip after the loss.
Oh I know I'll feel the guilt, 100%. I worry I don't spend enough time with them (though when I do, you can bet that they are interested in food) but we had to buy more painkiller from the vets today and we hadn't expected that she would last until the end of the one.

She still seems her happy little self, which is very poignant. All that painkiller is keeping her comfortable for now. She is even mounting Ophelia which must press on that 4cm+ tumour around her kidneys. The vet told us that the painkiller he has prescribed is not (usually?) given to guinea pigs and not at that dose. It’s Rheumocam, 1.5 mg/ml oral suspension for dogs, given at a dose of 0.2 ml. (We have only ever had the one for cats, at a lower dose - I can’t remember the details.) They are being SO spoilt - new carrot cottage, mounds of ready-grass, forage, snacks of coriander whenever, nugget trails whenever, slightly more generous meals than before, *whole* roses 🌹 picked just for them… Don’t worry - we’re not over-feeding and I’m now 5 years into being trained in which foods Bianca can tolerate and what would constitute too much. As far as they’re concerned, we’ve now become very compliant and responsive slaves. About time too, they would say with a nose rub.

I should add - she is managing to keep herself clean now and we haven’t had to give a bum bath recently. The vet bed is brilliant. Thank you for all your help and advice.

We thought Bianca wouldn't get through the bottle of painkiller. Instead she is finishing the second bottle and is very lively still. And being spoilt :luv: We left them with a family member when we were away and said that they could have more treats, and indeed they look bigger (Bianca was thin). I don't think they even had to wait and rub their noses, just wheek. Bianca was quite happy begging for treats at the bars when we returned.

Bianca is such a sweetie: lively and bright. She looks better for having been spoilt. She had lost weight.

(It's probably confusing having two of Bianca's slaves posting together on one thread. I'm PiggieintheMiddle's mother.)

Bianca plays a game with us. We put the syringe in front of her... she totters a few steps away... we put it in front of her again... again she walks away a little... we follow her a third time and... she finally takes it. She likes it and knows what is happening but she isn't going to make it straightforward.

On a side note, Bianca has always been part of the chonky club, but Ophelia has never quite made it...

Never mind... she must have read this. She played Mission Impossible this morning, before eventually sucking the syringe before I had time to register and push the end down. Ophelia was very eager for the nuggets that come with it.

Back