indoor play pen with base?

morning all!
been looking around and what do you think of something like this? does anyone use something similar? i’m pretty sure they are the same as c&c grids just made from plastic sheets which i thought may make the girls feel more comfortable rather than having open bars all the way round! the only down side i could see to this is possible chewing? but i don’t actually know how easy it would be for them to do that!

i was then thinking of using a few of your ideas.. getting either playmats or a baby mat as the bottom, lined with puppy pads, will that be enough or will i need something on the pads too?

i’ve looked at cage liners too but not really sure how they work! would i need to wash it every day? if i got a cage liner, would i be okay to just use that ontop of either the mat or playmats? sorry for all the questions! just a want to get the best i can for my girls!🥰

Attachments

• 8F02735A-82B4-477D-BDD6-FDE7F065537A.webp
    8F02735A-82B4-477D-BDD6-FDE7F065537A.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
morning all!
been looking around and what do you think of something like this? does anyone use something similar? i’m pretty sure they are the same as c&c grids just made from plastic sheets which i thought may make the girls feel more comfortable rather than having open bars all the way round! the only down side i could see to this is possible chewing? but i don’t actually know how easy it would be for them to do that!

i was then thinking of using a few of your ideas.. getting either playmats or a baby mat as the bottom, lined with puppy pads, will that be enough or will i need something on the pads too?

i’ve looked at cage liners too but not really sure how they work! would i need to wash it every day? if i got a cage liner, would i be okay to just use that ontop of either the mat or playmats? sorry for all the questions! just a want to get the best i can for my girls!🥰
I have one of these, it has a bottom, it’s clear plastic which my boars don’t chew, I peg towel at the back like 1/4 just to give them that safe feel, I place a waterproof mattress protector on bottom and place puppy pads on top then fill with hay, they love it, it’s on top of a 160 ferplast cage,

Attachments

• AED1AFB9-CA4A-4468-B34A-B9C976519003.webp
    AED1AFB9-CA4A-4468-B34A-B9C976519003.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 3
Nothing wrong with the Perspex grids but, given this is a temporary thing, not their permanent home, the benefit of actual grids is that they will cable tie together, concertina up, store easily and don’t need to be rebuilt when needed - simply unfold the grids. It literally takes me five minutes - put down base, unfold grids, put two connectors on the end two grids to join it into a cage.
Using these plastic panels will mean you can’t cable tie so will have to fully build with all connectors and fully take down every time.
Of course it’s a very personal thing and you may not find that a problem!

You’re piggies are fully used to wire sides in their enclosure so having c&c bars isn’t going to cause them problems. You can always pop a sheet over some of it if they are nervous when they first go in.

You would only be able to put water bottles on that one wired panel.

A proper fleece liner has the absorbent already stitched in (it’s a piece of fleece at the bottom, then the absorbent layer, then the fleece all stitched together as a sandwich). You would still want something waterproof underneath it.
Some liners have a waterproof backing instead of the fleece backing (so waterproof backing, absorbent layer, fleece top - so you could technically put them directly on the floor) but these can sometimes smell more quickly.
You don’t need to wash them every day - just with any fleece, washing every 3-5 days is usually enough.

I have one of these, it has a bottom, it’s clear plastic which my boars don’t chew, I peg towel at the back like 1/4 just to give them that safe feel, I place a waterproof mattress protector on bottom and place puppy pads on top then fill with hay, they love it, it’s on top of a 160 ferplast cage,

oh yes of corse! sorry i remember now! thanks so much!

Nothing wrong with the Perspex grids but, given this is a temporary thing, not their permanent home, the benefit of actual grids is that they will cable tie together, concertina up, store easily and don’t need to be rebuilt when needed - simply unfold the grids. It literally takes me five minutes - put down base, unfold grids, put two connectors on the end two grids to join it into a cage.
Using these plastic panels will mean you can’t cable tie so will have to fully build with all connectors and fully take down every time.
Of course it’s a very personal thing and you may not find that a problem!

You’re piggies are fully used to wire sides in their enclosure so having c&c bars isn’t going to cause them problems. You can always pop a sheet over some of it if they are nervous when they first go in.

You would only be able to put water bottles on that one wired panel.

A proper fleece liner has the absorbent already stitched in (it’s a piece of fleece at the bottom, then the absorbent layer, then the fleece all stitched together as a sandwich). You would still want something waterproof underneath it.
Some liners have a waterproof backing instead of the fleece backing (so waterproof backing, absorbent layer, fleece top - so you could technically put them directly on the floor) but these can sometimes smell more quickly.
You don’t need to wash them every day - just with any fleece, washing every 3-5 days is usually enough.

apparently you can still cable tie these, they actually come with the kit! brilliant thanks so much! and i can just buy a fleece liner from most places can’t i, doesn’t have to be from a certain place?

apparently you can still cable tie these, they actually come with the kit! brilliant thanks so much! and i can just buy a fleece liner from most places can’t i, doesn’t have to be from a certain place?

That’s much more helpful then! There must be a gap which isn’t visible on the picture!

A fleece liner is a specifically/custom made item - places like cavy couture….I’ll find the link to recommended suppliers.
If you want just a fleece blanket (which isn’t a liner) which you can get from any homeware shop (you need polar fleece though) from but then it needs puppy pads underneath

EDIT - this is the link for uk fleece liner suppliers
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

That’s much more helpful then! There must be a gap which isn’t visible on the picture!

A fleece liner is a specifically/custom made item - places like cavy couture….I’ll find the link to recommended suppliers.
If you want just a fleece blanket (which isn’t a liner) which you can get from any homeware shop (you need polar fleece though) from but then it needs puppy pads underneath

EDIT - this is the link for uk fleece liner suppliers
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

brilliant thankyou so much!

oooh thats a good idea! i didn’t think lino would come in pieces big enough though! would lino alone be okay to use do you think if i managed to find a bit big enough?
try a local carpet shop - i once went in and asked if they had any off cuts in the back for a cheap price

Back