indoor play pen with base?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hey everyone!
just looking for some recommendations please on indoor play pens, we currently have a little small pet pen but i don’t trust my girls won’t try to jump over it! we use it when its too hot in the shed as well as while we are cleaning the hutch so they will be in there a few hours / half days at a time. i need one with a bottom really as i feel like puppy pads would be such a waste, i also need it to fold / collapse down for easy storage. i’ve looked on both amazon and ebay but can’t seem to find what i’m looking for so thought i’d ask all of you on the off chance someone may know where i can get one! thanks

re the base - i used a piece of lino for years - puppy pads then a fleece on top.. you can roll it up when not in use. my pen was from Zooplus but i don't think they sell it now - it was metal and folded up

re the base - i used a piece of lino for years - puppy pads then a fleece on top.. you can roll it up when not in use. my pen was from Zooplus but i don't think they sell it now - it was metal and folded up

oooh thats a good idea! i didn’t think lino would come in pieces big enough though! would lino alone be okay to use do you think if i managed to find a bit big enough?

You need something absorbent - lino is fine as a base but it can’t be used standalone otherwise they will be walking in pee. You will need to put puppy pads or newspaper down (and then something on top of that).

My local flooring shop sell vinyl flooring on a roll but it is a lot more expensive than the solution I have. I just use a sheet of plastic (off the roll from an independent garden centre - was £1 a metre) which I then cover with some newspaper (I always have loads of it). I then use c&c grids which are cable tied together except the end two grids. The grids concertina flat for storage and opens quickly when needed. I then just pop on a couple of connectors to join it together and I’ve got a cage in five minutes
When this is used for weeks at a time when they have to move inside, i just pop fleece over the newspaper, otherwise if it was just for a short time, I’d just use the newspaper and pop a pile of hay in the middle

You need something absorbent - lino is fine as a base but it can’t be used standalone otherwise they will be walking in pee. You will need to put puppy pads or newspaper down (and then something on top of that).

My local flooring shop sell vinyl flooring on a roll but it is a lot more expensive than the solution I have. I just use a sheet of plastic (off the roll from an independent garden centre - was £1 a metre) which I then cover with some newspaper (I always have loads of it). I then use c&c grids which are cable tied together except the end two grids. The grids concertina flat for storage and opens quickly when needed. I then just pop on a couple of connectors to join it together and I’ve got a cage in five minutes
When this is used for weeks at a time when they have to move inside, i just pop fleece over the newspaper, otherwise if it was just for a short time, I’d just use the newspaper and pop a pile of hay in the middle

brilliant thankyou so much!

How about a fabric puppy Pen? They sell them on ebay and Amazon and they fold away. Again, you would have to put something absorbent on the base, here’s an example of what I mean Large Pet Play Pen Puppy Dog Cat Cage Durable Fabric Foldable Travel Pop up Tent | eBay if you search, you can find ones that hold a water bottle and have a removable floor

ooo didn’t think of that as i thought it would be hard to wash! that’s brilliant ill definitely be taking a look at what i can find, thankyou!

Playpen with bottom, I use it as an enclosure, add waterproof mattress protector and puppy pads on top and loads of hay everywhere, my two teddies love it, I’ve towels covering only a 1/4 of the back so they feel safe, they have water bowls instead of bottles, good luck 🤞

Attachments

• DF8FC107-7299-4633-BFAF-FC456E44E50E.webp
    DF8FC107-7299-4633-BFAF-FC456E44E50E.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 9
Playpen with bottom, I use it as an enclosure, add waterproof mattress protector and puppy pads on top and loads of hay everywhere, my two teddies love it, I’ve towels covering only a 1/4 of the back so they feel safe, they have water bowls instead of bottles, good luck 🤞

aw brilliant thankyou so much!

A shower curtain liner (the type that keeps the water in) can also work well as a floor protection layer ... topped with whatever your favorite play surface is (fleece, towels, puppy pads, etc.). They're usually pretty washable, either with a hose/wiping or in a washing machine.

A shower curtain liner (the type that keeps the water in) can also work well as a floor protection layer ... topped with whatever your favorite play surface is (fleece, towels, puppy pads, etc.). They're usually pretty washable, either with a hose/wiping or in a washing machine.

ooo that’s a good idea!

I use this from amazon, I got the biggest size and it takes up most of my floor space when in use but the girls love zooming around it! I line the inside with fleece but newspaper or puppy pads would work too, I'm sure. It wipes clean super easily then folds up to go back in the cupboard when they're not using it.

We have BunnyBusiness playpens from Amazon and use waterproof floor mats (sold as a thing to go under baby feeding highchairs!) with newspaper on top, as a base.
Oilcloth wipe clean table cloths are similar I think to our floor mats, if you want a different size or shape or pattern- but we pop down 3 of the baby feeding floor mats slightly overlapped :)

I use this from amazon, I got the biggest size and it takes up most of my floor space when in use but the girls love zooming around it! I line the inside with fleece but newspaper or puppy pads would work too, I'm sure. It wipes clean super easily then folds up to go back in the cupboard when they're not using it.

ooo what a great idea! how do you put a water bottle in there or do you use bowls?

We have BunnyBusiness playpens from Amazon and use waterproof floor mats (sold as a thing to go under baby feeding highchairs!) with newspaper on top, as a base.
Oilcloth wipe clean table cloths are similar I think to our floor mats, if you want a different size or shape or pattern- but we pop down 3 of the baby feeding floor mats slightly overlapped :)

thanks! will have to check this out

I use spare c&C grids cable tied together - they fold flat when needed - and can be pushed around to fit into any size/shape space.
For the base layer I used a large piece of outdoor tablecloth that I got cut off the roll at the local DIY store, and then cover this with towels and an old fleece blanket.
Having some sort of set up like this is super handy as a play pen, but also if you need to take a sick piggy with you somewhere, or go away for a night or two and want to take the piggies along.

I use spare c&C grids cable tied together - they fold flat when needed - and can be pushed around to fit into any size/shape space.
For the base layer I used a large piece of outdoor tablecloth that I got cut off the roll at the local DIY store, and then cover this with towels and an old fleece blanket.
Having some sort of set up like this is super handy as a play pen, but also if you need to take a sick piggy with you somewhere, or go away for a night or two and want to take the piggies along.

this is a good idea however worried about them chewing the cable ties! yes it sounds brilliant!

this is a good idea however worried about them chewing the cable ties! yes it sounds brilliant!

As I said I use grids cable tied together. The have never once tried to chew them because they can’t get to them - put one low down and one high up on each grid, cut the excess off. The bottom one will be hidden by whatever base and bedding you use

As I said I use grids cable tied together. The have never once tried to chew them because they can’t get to them - put one low down and one high up on each grid, cut the excess off. The bottom one will be hidden by whatever base and bedding you use

oh yes of corse i didn’t think about the base covering them!🤦🏼‍♀️

will this one be a suitable size? its the biggest we can fit in our flat!

Attachments

• 37142815-FEBF-4F02-9F13-1D6ED50CABAF.webp
    37142815-FEBF-4F02-9F13-1D6ED50CABAF.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 8
Would you be able to fit any of the other recommended runs, or a 2x4 using grids?

The good thing about grids is you can ‘fit’ them in. As long as you have minimum 12 grids (8 holes) to make the run/enclosure.

Back