• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ill piggie

• Thread starter Thread starter cgibson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
what are these post op complicationjs?

how do i give the bio lapis?
how do i make it up?

I'm getting really really worried about him

i have the small packets of bio lapis, it is a 5 pack joined together, it has for rabbits written on the front.
have i bought the right one for my piggie

Thats fine for guineas. One sachet per day for 5 days, it helps keep the flora in the gut healthy whilst the guinea is taking antibiotics. You can either sprinkle it on his food or add it to their water. Sprinkling it on the food may be the better option :)

If he is not eating, you need to syringe feed him. His system will shut down very quickly if he is not eating :(. For now, mush his pellets in hot water to the consistency of thick soup, allow to cool (so it is lukewarm) and syringe feed him that. Tomorrow, get some baby food...I hear they love potato and carrot and apple and pear (not tried it myself!). You can mix the bio lapis in water in a jug and give him some via a syringe also. There are several sites online where it shows you with photos how to syringe feed if you havent done it before, just put `syringe feed guinea` pig in google. Place the syringe by his back molars and gently squeeze the food down it. You will have to get up during the night too to feed him. It really is important to keep food moving through his gut :)

he is nibbling at things but i have to put it right underneath his nose for him to eat then he just nibbles at it.

i have tried mixing food with water and giving it to him but it is thick, and he
wont eat it.

he will eat a bit hay and thats all

I have just give him 2ml of bio lapis, is that enough or shoulg i give him more.

Mine have pain killers pre op so that they are not in any pain when they come round. Re diet fruits and roots are big offenders too, they have the 'wrong' ratio of Ca:Ph. But, stones can reform even if piggy is on a perfect diet, you can (and I'm sure you will :) ) only do your best :) I pay around £100 for this op including x-rays, it depends on the area you live in and the practise manager, the equipment at the vets- a lot of things combined, they don't simply make up a price :) There are places which are much cheaper, but much less accurate and efficient equipment.

Keep up with offering food and tempting him- if he eats hay he might eat grass, try and find some nice bits for him :)

Just wanted to wish you good luck with the food thing and getting him to eat, it's a hard job. Where abouts in the country are you, there may be a good guinea vet closer than you think?

I'm in county durham, havent got a car , my sister will take me sometimes if she is not at work, so have to make appointments around her.cant get a bus straight to the vets otherwise i would take him. tht is why i took him to a different vet yesterday, cos i could get a bus then walk.
got up at 1.30 this morning to give his antiobiotics, and then up at 2 to give a bit metacam, cos i noticed he was still squeeking.
just got up at 7 put him in a cage by himself with hay and veg and dry food.
he nibbled on a bit hay, then went and grabbed a piece of tomatoe, had 2 nibbles than went back in his bed. gave him some bio lapis aswell.
will go and get somebaby food today, and try him on that.

i have mixed bio lapis in a jug and have been giving him 2 syring fulls at a time, is this ok, or does he need more.

cant get to the vet till 6.30 tomorrow

You are doing all you can :) Good luck at the vets, it is horrible when they are poorly. We are all keeping our fingers crossed. Let us know what the vet says :)

I have took squeak to my usual vets this morning and he is going to give him surgery to remove the stone.
have to pick him up tomorrow night.

i hope he will be ok.

I am sure he will be fine O0 He will feel so much better with that stone out of him :)
Well done you ;)

Keeping everything crossed for your boy - he will feel much better once he is stoneless O0

((((( HUG ))))) for you cazza
Hope all goes well. O0

my other piggie bobby was looking for squeak last night
he was looking in all the bed areas and he went half way up the ramp to the other bed and looked there for him.
i felt sorry for him, i told him squeak would be back soon.
got him out for a cuddle, to reasure him.

going for squeak at tea time.

would i have to keep him in a another cage until he gets beter, or can i put him back in with bobby

It is best to keep them together. Any length of time apart could result in them falling out. Boars relationships are tenuous at the best of times ;)

just got squeak back from vet after having his operation
they said it wasnt a stone it was just a lot of little its that were gready to foem a stone (or summit)
thay flushed his bladder out and hae has been weeing ok today

he is very quiet
had a nibble at hay
they say to keep him away from bobby for a while
have squeaks cage next to bobbys, and bobby has been looking through the bars at squeak
have to give metacam and antibiotics once a day
and have to take him back on monday for a check up
he has internal stitches and was given a cathetar

see what he is like tomorrow
just glad he is ok

am i supposed to give bio lapis today
he had his op today
if so how much am i suppose to give him?
he is still not eating, nibbling at hay a bit
will he be ok in the morning.

is there anything else i need to do for him or give him
i have gave him water

Yes give the Bio-Lapis.Makke it up as per the instructions on the packet ,and give little and often through the day.As he is not eating you will need to encourage this.Cut his fav.veggies into matchsticks and put them in his mouth,he may eat them.Syringe feed him as well.,otherwise his digestive system will start to break down.

Keep him warm and dry on a vet bed,or a towel.

Paws crossed for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back