• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think maybe its his time

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggybaker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boy Branstone i think is possible coming to the end, he is not eating and just sits and appears a bit dull eyed and depressed,

I brought him in gave him a bath and a brush not that he needed it but he likes a bath and brush and let him stay indoors, but he won't come out of his box is just not eating,

he is 5 what can i do to cheer him up?

If i was you id start syringe feeding asap and taken him to the vets.

I would syringe feed too and get him to the vets. He may be unwell but maybe it is something that can be cured.

Keep us posted on how he is.

Louise
x

Just being with you piggybaker will be a big help. I would still try to offer his favourite foods or treats, even if he doesn't eat a huge amount. Try him with some of his usual food mushed up and offered via a syringe. Does he seem unwell or uncomfortable in any way, has he seen a vet recently? Keep him warm and enjoy what time you have left with him. Sending hugs.

He has been to the vet and he said he is a pictue of health, just appears depressed

Awww bless.
Come on Branstone cheer up for your mummy.
((( HUGS ))) to you both. :-* :smitten:

Has anything changed in his accommodation, has he lost a partner or friend recently, have you changed your set up around? I'm not sure what else would cause a piggy to be "depressed". This might sound a daft question, but is he getting enough light - just thinking along the lines of SAD in humans? Not sure what else to suggest, I hope others can offer more ideas.

them, sorry about Branstone :'( :'( , don't know what to suggest,hugs and fingers crossed from all here, especially Jakie xx

yes i would kinda be thinking along those lines but he has been a lone boar for three years with a view of other guineas and is able to hear other pigs and has ALWAYS(not shouting just enthasising) been a happy boy,

Hmm.. thats a bad situtation your in.

I'd just leave him till the morning then get him to the vets ASAP. If hes not eating what can you do? Keep checking up on him in the night though. :'(

I have a piggy who suffers from depression (seriously). Could your piggy be having an attack?

Sorry to hear about Branstone them, is he the gorgeous long haired? You will know what to do and when. Thinking of you :)

do you think i should be cuddleing him or should i just let him work through this on his own

if you really think it is his time I would give a him a cuddle ,but you know me them I'm no expert , hugs to you too S xx

you are so :) I don't think i have ever heard of someone who turned a pig round as well as you have with Jakie!

Did the vet check his mouth and teeth thoroughly?,he may have a spur at the back that is digging into his cheek.These are easy to miss.I know this sounds odd,but check his penis to see if it is gunged up or sore,this will make a boar miserable and off his food.When a pig stops eating there is always a cause for it,usually physical.Syringe feed him to stop him getting weak,and try and find another vet,maybe the one you saw does not know much about gps.

I thought it was the end a couple of times with one of the piggys i used to have. I gave her plenty of attention, all the foods and treats she loved, just to see if she would eat. I also syringe fed her on some stuff from the vets and she was back on her feet in no time. Just make sure he keeps eating one way or the other

All the best and fingers crossed for him :-*

Oh love, we've got our paws crossed for you both :( :( :(
Lots of TLC and syringe feeding wont hurt him :)
I agree with the girls, get them to check his toofies spurs are hard to see sometimes as they can be right on the jaw line >:( and they cause so much pain :'( :'(
Take care :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Poor love. I don't want to frighten you, but Dr 0:) was depressed before he became an 0:)

Sending lots of healing :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I agree. From what you say there is no emotional reason why he would be depressed - change of surroundings,bereavement - so there is almost certainly a physical cause. To be fair on your vet, it can be very difficult to tell what is wrong with a pig, especially in the unnatural environment of the vet's surgery. Teeth are an obvious thing to check, but also check out the other end. Many older boars get an impacted bum, which is really easy to treat at home, but can make them quite miserable if left untreated. Also look at where he's been weeing to check there is no blood - urinary infection.

In the meantime, keep him going with plenty of syringe feeding - Science recovery is really good - and loads of cuddles.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Keeping all fingers and paws crossed for the little chap.

Awwwwww! Poor little chap :'( I'd be giving him loads of cuddles and loving :smitten: Good luck O0 Hope he bucks up. Have you tried him with another boar - maybe something new to focus on would cheer him up?

well the good news is whilst on the phone to Sammy, Branston had a wander out on the carpet and munched at a carrot, and when he had enough he put his front paws on his cage and looked in, so i put him back in, he went to his food bowl had a munch and then went back into his house that was about half hour ago, haven't seen him since, and he is a quiet pig, he has never been able to wheek even whn he was small,

so His teeth are fine and his poo and i checked his wink and that is all ok, he isn't impacted his cage is nice and wet in the corner so he is weeing alright.

I guess he is just getting old and is slowing down

yes so do i , he is a loved member of the family,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back