How Many Piggies Is Ok To My Hutch Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well what I can see the hutch is way bigger than I have now and mine I have been told by an rspca lady who lives in my street mine is a good size, the hutch on that site is 6ft and mine is 4ft. My piggies love running up and down the stairs, which also gives them extra exercise. Plus the one story's are always low on the floor meaning a lot colder and damp when sleeping, it's been said to get them off the floor when it's cold and damp which is not the worry when you have a 2 tier hutch.

I think you've missed my point - the hutch is much smaller than what you have. Only the run is larger.

The welfare hutch double is more expensive also the top area looks smaller and doesn't look as good than the one on the site I found. Also happy hutch site looks a bit odd and dodgy, the double hutch on there is the only one and doesn't look that great, boyles has very very minimal selection and I would need over 1k plus to buy them for my guys and a 150 garden and the same for rydale, lovely hutches and comes pre put together but I would need to spend a small fortune and have a few acres. Does that also mean the same if you have 2 birds, would I need an avairy as well to house them?

The Welfare Hutches ones are much much larger on both floors as they are 6x2ft on each floor. Or you can get ones with a run under a 6x2ft hutch

The one you linked to has a hutch that does not meet RSPCA minimum (unlike your current ones) and a lower floor that is a run and not in anyway countable as hutch living space - it is a run. It would need major adaptations to make it a hutch. Those major adaptations would cost quite a lot. Ultimately making it cost more than something like a Welfare Hutch double that provides more space and is built to last far far longer.

Tbh though if I was you and wanted to extend their space but already owned 4ft double Hutches, I'd just add a little run to each of them? That way you keep hutch space that exceeds RSPCA minimum but also add on the run space you want them to have in addition to a hutch. You can make or buy runs fairly cheaply. That would be far far better hutch space plus an added bonus of a run, than the hutch/run combo you linked to and substantially cheaper for you.

ETA Happy Hutch is not dodgy - I am very unsure how you came to that conclusion. I know many people both in person and online who have used them, I strongly considered buying from them as their standards (including things like wood thickness were almost as good as Welfare Hutches - Welfare Hutches won out soley because I lived less than 1mile from them at the time so was able to negotiate a good discount on the grounds I didn't need delivery and was also purchasing a large run from them).

Further ETA - Most of the hutch companies who make larger Hutches are small business who make to order - meaning if you want much longer legs they can do it if you ask. I got some some alterations on the design of my hutch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back