How Many Piggies Is Ok To My Hutch Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I have 2 two tier hutches which are both 122cm W 104cm H and 50cm D, are these ok to house 3/4 in each or only 2?

Many thanks

just about two in each - one level for two piggies should meet the minimum requirements of 120x60cms ideally - upper levels aren't usually counted as the ramp takes up space etc :)

so definitely no more than two, and ideally bigger if they are both boys :)

Ok thanks, so if I shut the ramp I could potentially have 2 on each level creating 2 seperate hutches..... It's hard to find a hutch bigger than the ones I have

If you are new to keeping guinea pigs - I would stick to having 2 guinea pigs in each 2 tier hutch. The minimum size - as stated by Biscandmatt -is literally what it says - the minimum size . Believe you me - the more space the better .

When I was a teenager, we kept chickens, ducks, rabbits, parrots , Guinea pigs etc, so in the last 6 months I have started to keep Guinea pigs again and just wanted to check, I am looking into aquiring a 5ft 2 tier hutch as well.

I have a 5ft hutch (double) and keep 2 on top and 2 below, it is surprising how much room they require especially boys. You can get 6ft long hutches too if that helps.

Ok thanks, so if I shut the ramp I could potentially have 2 on each level creating 2 seperate hutches..... It's hard to find a hutch bigger than the ones I have

i wouldn't personally. i'd let two have more space :)

there are some really good hutch makers now who make hutches 6ft upto 8ft, extra width etc. more expensive initially but superb quality and designed to last a very long time. i think the welfare hutches ones look amazing The Welfare Hutch Company

there are some really good hutch makers now who make hutches 6ft upto 8ft, extra width etc. more expensive initially but superb quality and designed to last a very long time. i think the welfare hutches ones look amazing The Welfare Hutch Company[/QUOTE
Thank you for that, I have tried looking for larger ones on eBay that are 2 tier but not many of a larger size. I do prefer the double tier than one floor as it gives them more exercise.
Although after washing the 2 boars bums today as they where getting a little dirty they started to fight a little and the more passive one has come out with a couple of bites in his noes, so I will now have to seperate them on seperate floors.

Thank you for that, I have tried looking for larger ones on eBay that are 2 tier but not many of a larger size. I do prefer the double tier than one floor as it gives them more exercise.
Although after washing the 2 boars bums today as they where getting a little dirty they started to fight a little and the more passive one has come out with a couple of bites in his noes, so I will now have to seperate them on seperate floors.

Hi

I have 2 two tier hutches which are both 122cm W 104cm H and 50cm D, are these ok to house 3/4 in each or only 2?

Many thanks

You hutch is a little bit on the narrow side. Guinea pigs tend to use mainly one floor, so any extra floors are a bonus but generally don't count. I would not keep more than two guinea pigs in it.
Please make sure that any outdoors hutches are ideally under cover during a British winter, well away from dampness, cold drafts, storms and frosts.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Here is our cage size guide:Cage Size Guide

You hutch is a little bit on the narrow side. Guinea pigs tend to use mainly one floor, so any extra floors are a bonus but generally don't count. I would not keep more than two guinea pigs in it.
Please make sure that any outdoors hutches are ideally under cover during a British winter, well away from dampness, cold drafts, storms and frosts.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Here is our cage size guide:Cage Size Guide

Both hutches are in the shed now with a small heater on. I will now have to shut the door to the stairs now to create 2 seperate hutches as they have been fighting today and one has a few cuts

looks like they have made a decision for you :))

sorry they've had a fight though. hope the bites aren't too serious.

looks like they have made a decision for you :))

sorry they've had a fight though. hope the bites aren't too serious.

I think they are both at that teenage stage now, my texel ( fizzgig) is the dominant one and has become so boisterous. I have just bathed the little cuts with some salt water, all good though, thanks.

Both hutches are in the shed now with a small heater on. I will now have to shut the door to the stairs now to create 2 seperate hutches as they have been fighting today and one has a few cuts

I am very sorry; a new territory means a new hierarchy sort-out, and that can push especially boar bonds that are already under strain over the edge.
Here are our tips for this kind of situation: Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I am very sorry; a new territory means a new hierarchy sort-out, and that can push especially boar bonds that are already under strain over the edge.
Here are our tips for this kind of situation: Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thank you, I have read through this before. They are around 6/8 months so def the teenage time. Do you think me seperating them for a few days then reintroducing them for a bit might do the trick?

Thank you, I have read through this before. They are around 6/8 months so def the teenage time. Do you think me seperating them for a few days then reintroducing them for a bit might do the trick?

It very much depends on just how serious the scuffle was. If you want to try a re-introduction, I would not wait for longer than a day or two and follow our time tested tips in the introductions thread at the top pof this section.

It can easily go either way; things are often so very delicately balanced at this age. It is unfortunately the trickiest age to bond and re-bond boars. Pet boars have not got the option to just move out of the other boy's way and try their luck elsewhere, as they would normally do in such a situation. :(

I think I will split the hutch in 2 for a day or so then try reintroduction, the other boar (minky) has 3 bloody cuts on his noes and lip so I don't want to change it over night and find in the morning it's a bad news.

This is minky

image.webp

What lovely piggies. So sorry they have had a falling-out:(. I have a soft spot for boars, but the hormonal stage can be tricky. Best of luck sorting out the accommodation.

What lovely piggies. So sorry they have had a falling-out:(. I have a soft spot for boars, but the hormonal stage can be tricky. Best of luck sorting out the accommodation.

Thank you, I tried showing to each other today through the bars but teeth chattering between both and minky started shaky.

there are some really good hutch makers now who make hutches 6ft upto 8ft, extra width etc. more expensive initially but superb quality and designed to last a very long time. i think the welfare hutches ones look amazing The Welfare Hutch Company

I have a Welfare Hutches 6x2ft double amazing quality. There are quite a few others as well like Ryedale, Happy Hutch Co, Boyle's - best place to find out about them is rabbits united forum (rabbit Hutches should be a minimum of 6x2ft so over there, there is tons about big hutches.

Double Storey - Outdoor Rabbit Hutches
I found this amazing 2 story 6ft cage with a large top floor and bottom. The coach house. Amazing Big enough for 4 sows.

Actually whilst that looks amazing to a human its actually not as good as a standard single storey 6x2, which is the minimum for 4sows. The actual Hutch part is less than half the size quoted the rest is just a run and is too open to count as hutch space. So I wouldn't even keep 2 sows in it as I'm fairly certain the enclosed hutch part wouldn't actually be the same square footage as RSPCA's minimum of 4x2ft for a pair.

There are people on rabbits united who had bought them and they ended up either replacing them with a standard 6x2ft from manufactures I've listed above or spent a fortune adapting them putting sides on and a floor in the bottom to make it enclosed enough to count as hutch floor space by which time (with cost of original hutch then adaptations) they could have bought a 6x2ft double from somewhere like Welfare Hutches or Happy Hutch for less.

I have a Welfare Hutches 6x2ft double amazing quality. There are quite a few others as well like Ryedale, Happy Hutch Co, Boyle's - best place to find out about them is rabbits united forum (rabbit Hutches should be a minimum of 6x2ft so over there, there is tons about big hutches.

Actually whilst that looks amazing to a human its actually not as good as a standard single storey 6x2, which is the minimum for 4sows. The actual Hutch part is less than half the size quoted the rest is just a run and is too open to count as hutch space. So I wouldn't even keep 2 sows in it as I'm fairly certain the enclosed hutch part wouldn't actually be the same square footage as RSPCA's minimum of 4x2ft for a pair.

There are people on rabbits united who had bought them and they ended up either replacing them with a standard 6x2ft from manufactures I've listed above or spent a fortune adapting them putting sides on and a floor in the bottom to make it enclosed enough to count as hutch floor space by which time (with cost of original hutch then adaptations) they could have bought a 6x2ft double from somewhere like Welfare Hutches or Happy Hutch for less.

Ok, well what I can see the hutch is way bigger than I have now and mine I have been told by an rspca lady who lives in my street mine is a good size, the hutch on that site is 6ft and mine is 4ft. My piggies love running up and down the stairs, which also gives them extra exercise. Plus the one story's are always low on the floor meaning a lot colder and damp when sleeping, it's been said to get them off the floor when it's cold and damp which is not the worry when you have a 2 tier hutch.

The welfare hutch double is more expensive also the top area looks smaller and doesn't look as good than the one on the site I found. Also happy hutch site looks a bit odd and dodgy, the double hutch on there is the only one and doesn't look that great, boyles has very very minimal selection and I would need over 1k plus to buy them for my guys and a 150 garden and the same for rydale, lovely hutches and comes pre put together but I would need to spend a small fortune and have a few acres. Does that also mean the same if you have 2 birds, would I need an avairy as well to house them?

Double Storey - Outdoor Rabbit Hutches
I found this amazing 2 story 6ft cage with a large top floor and bottom. The coach house. Amazing Big enough for 4 sows.

this is meant to be very small in person - i've heard alot of people say this. the sheltered area is very small so it would need adapting alot to make it suitable for piggies, especially if there are outside where at night and during the colder months, they would need to spend most of their time under shelter :)

if you were able to, you'd be best spending more initially and ending up with a hutch that will last a good 10+ years :)

Ok, well what I can see the hutch is way bigger than I have now and mine I have been told by an rspca lady who lives in my street mine is a good size, the hutch on that site is 6ft and mine is 4ft. My piggies love running up and down the stairs, which also gives them extra exercise. Plus the one story's are always low on the floor meaning a lot colder and damp when sleeping, it's been said to get them off the floor when it's cold and damp which is not the worry when you have a 2 tier hutch.
Well that still doesn't make any difference about getting the hutch off the floor when it is damp and wet if it is a 2 story hutch as when I had a 2 story hutch my guinea pigs slept upstairs and downstairs and to prevent that you would need to lock them upstairs so you are better off getting a single story 6ft hutch with tall legs or a 2 story one with tall legs. I recommend @The Hutch Man as his hutches are sturdy and a good price for what you get as I was looking to buy off him but chose not to as I wasn't able to upgrade but I then came into hands of 2 6ft hutches made by him as someone on the forum wasn't able to use them :).

Well that still doesn't make any difference about getting the hutch off the floor when it is damp and wet if it is a 2 story hutch as when I had a 2 story hutch my guinea pigs slept upstairs and downstairs and to prevent that you would need to lock them upstairs so you are better off getting a single story 6ft hutch with tall legs or a 2 story one with tall legs. I recommend @The Hutch Man as his hutches are sturdy and a good price for what you get as I was looking to buy off him but chose not to as I wasn't able to upgrade but I then came into hands of 2 6ft hutches made by him as someone on the forum wasn't able to use them :).

Thank you I shall have a look, all my piggies sleep upstairs in there little house in the partitioned part all snug together and my 2 tier hutches are at least 8 inch off the floor

this is meant to be very small in person - i've heard alot of people say this. the sheltered area is very small so it would need adapting alot to make it suitable for piggies, especially if there are outside where at night and during the colder months, they would need to spend most of their time under shelter :)

if you were able to, you'd be best spending more initially and ending up with a hutch that will last a good 10+ years :)

The measurements look pretty big, bigger than my 2 hutches, I will have to buy 3 hutches at £400 plus which is £1200 and then try to fit them all in a shed that would be a squish for 2 at the size they are on those sites. Who has over 1k to spend on hutches especially this time of year. I would rather use the money for any vets bills if needed or food and bedding. Plus I have to live and these days life isn't cheap.

How much have you spent on the homes for you piggies where did you get your hutches from if not inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back