Hot weather Dilemma 🔥

Tara95

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have noticed recently that the guinea pig room has become quite stuffy and humid in this hot weather. It is actually a second bedroom that has one window. The window is however only left slightly open unlike my bedroom windows which are wide open that helps in the hot weather. I feel like opening the windows wide would be a risk in case a bird or a cat got in? Am I overreacting? My boyfriend seems to think a bird of prey would not climb in as they wouldn't even be able to see the guinea pigs from a window and the pigs would be much cooler if I opened the window wider to let some fresh air in. What does everyone else think/do?
I am debating for the hottest months (July and August) potentially keeping the guinea pigs outside in some large hutch in the garden so they do not experience the humidity/heat. I must admit the guinea pigs have never lived in that room for the summer so I have no experience how humid/hot it will get in July/august. The only two pigs (my original 2) that were purchased around august which as I remember was a very cool month and then they had an outdoor hutch until around September). I have had the Guinea pigs out in the run for the last two days (bringing them in at night) as I feel it is much cooler outside in the shade than it is in their room. I also feel like I would be able to spend more time with them outside during the summer months when I am off work. They seem quite happy and contented in the run grazing on grass unlike a month ago where it just seemed like too much stress to keep moving them back and forth (perhaps the temperature difference was too much). The run is however just over half of their usual indoor enclosure but is slightly bigger than the recommended space for 7 guinea pigs if I remember correctly. This has not caused any issues as all are focusing on eating the grass. I always had this idea in my head in the summer months of a secure run attached to the hutch so they could eat grass whenever they feel like it but judging how they've nearly skinned my entire lawn in just two days I don't know how practical this would be all day everyday for the summer. 😂 Plus there's always that threat of predators! Any advice would be appreciated 🥰. Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend in the sun 🌞😎

Them being outside in the peak of summer will also have its issues.... I keep curtains closed all day in our front room - they are still closed now even though the sun has moved on... we only open the window later in the day when it's cooler air... It is hard to keep them cool... If you live in a normal house - a cat would not be able to climb up and get into the room...

Them being outside in the peak of summer will also have its issues.... I keep curtains closed all day in our front room - they are still closed now even though the sun has moved on... we only open the window later in the day when it's cooler air... It is hard to keep them cool... If you live in a normal house - a cat would not be able to climb up and get into the room...
Thank you I live in a middle terris house and the pigs are upstairs and I'm not sure of a cat's abilities 😅. Good advice about the curtain they've only got a blind in their room that I put half down to keep most of the sun out. Would a blind have the same impact as certains? Many thanks 😊

The best thing to do is keep curtains and windows closed until later in the day when you can open them and let cooler air in. Regarding a blind I guess it would depend on how thick the blind is but it would need to cover the whole window.

I agree with @artcasper.
My outdoor living piggies come into the house during the day in the height of summer (so usually july and august), only being able to go on the lawn usually before 9am and after 7pm because hutches can get exceedingly hot and runs exposed to warm breezes can also be just as bad, even in the shade.

The front of my house faces east, back facing west, so I open my windows at the back in the morning, and then at the front in the afternoons. Always keeping curtains and blinds closed until it’s cooler and the sun is on the other side

Wet sheets at the windows works so well!
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

The best thing to do is keep curtains and windows closed until later in the day when you can open them and let cooler air in. Regarding a blind I guess it would depend on how thick the blind is but it would need to cover the whole window.
Thank you I hadn't thought of closing the window with the blind covering all of the window. Will give it a try :)

I agree with @artcasper.
My outdoor living piggies come into the house during the day in the height of summer (so usually july and august), only being able to go on the lawn usually before 9am and after 7pm because hutches can get exceedingly hot and runs exposed to warm breezes can also be just as bad, even in the shade.

The front of my house faces east, back facing west, so I open my windows at the back in the morning, and then at the front in the afternoons. Always keeping curtains and blinds closed until it’s cooler and the sun is on the other side

Wet sheets at the windows works so well!
Thank you for advice :) so you don't usually let the pigs out in the day in the summer? Do you have a specific guideline for example if it's below 25 degrees do you get them out but obviously if it's above you keep them inside. It's just because their room can get quite humid and seems to retain heat and can make them inactive but now for example it's 25 degrees they're in the shade, it feels like a nice temperature for them compared to their room and they're very active looking alert so I'm presuming this will be better for them in the hotter months too providing it's not over 25 degrees. Will try the wet sheet! Thank you very much :)

Don't know if you want to try this, but I bought some slate sort of teapot coasters from b and m and I put them in the fridge and then put them in my animals cages. They last quite long cold and are easy to wipe down, ready to put back in the fridge again when need be.

They can't chew them either, so that's a bonus.
That sounds good will give that a try 👍. thank you :)

Thank you for advice :) so you don't usually let the pigs out in the day in the summer? Do you have a specific guideline for example if it's below 25 degrees do you get them out but obviously if it's above you keep them inside. It's just because their room can get quite humid and seems to retain heat and can make them inactive but now for example it's 25 degrees they're in the shade, it feels like a nice temperature for them compared to their room and they're very active looking alert so I'm presuming this will be better for them in the hotter months too providing it's not over 25 degrees. Will try the wet sheet! Thank you very much :)
No, not all day once it gets hotter.

I use my own comfort as a guide a lot of time as well as the thermometer. 25 degrees is my guide but it’s also about how comfortable it feels. As I said, warm breezes can be just as dangerous so it’s also about being sensible.

Today is 25 degrees but it has also been a fairly typical day for run time. They are on the lawn and have been since just before 8am. They will stay out until 9-9.30pm. ive been keeping a very close eye on them today and it feels comfortable. They have been pretty active all day too.
Once it becomes humid and the temperature is beyond 25, then they will not be out all day - early mornings and late evenings only with daytime spent in the house (their shed gets too hot so there are times when they can’t even be put back in there even late in the evening)

I think @Wiebke gave us all a great tip about damp sheets in the summer heatwave a couple of years ago, you can drape a damp sheet over an open window or over the cage or an outside run and the evaporation as the sheet dries keeps a nice cool microclimate!
My piggies live indoors but if hot sun is coming through the window then I drape a damp cotton sheet over half the cage then set the fan blowing on the sheet, it gives shade as well as cooling :)

No, not all day once it gets hotter.

I use my own comfort as a guide a lot of time as well as the thermometer. 25 degrees is my guide but it’s also about how comfortable it feels. As I said, warm breezes can be just as dangerous so it’s also about being sensible.

Today is 25 degrees but it has also been a fairly typical day for run time. They are on the lawn and have been since just before 8am. They will stay out until 9-9.30pm. ive been keeping a very close eye on them today and it feels comfortable. They have been pretty active all day too.
Once it becomes humid and the temperature is beyond 25, then they will not be out all day - early mornings and late evenings only with daytime spent in the house (their shed gets too hot so there are times when they can’t even be put back in there even late in the evening)
Thank you, great advice :) would it be worth getting an air conditioning unit do you think in their room for the hot hot weather or do you think this could harm their airways? Many thanks :)

I think @Wiebke gave us all a great tip about damp sheets in the summer heatwave a couple of years ago, you can drape a damp sheet over an open window or over the cage or an outside run and the evaporation as the sheet dries keeps a nice cool microclimate!
My piggies live indoors but if hot sun is coming through the window then I drape a damp cotton sheet over half the cage then set the fan blowing on the sheet, it gives shade as well as cooling :)
Thank you! Sounds like a great idea! Will give that a try! :)

Thank you, great advice :) would it be worth getting an air conditioning unit do you think in their room for the hot hot weather or do you think this could harm their airways? Many thanks :)

I think there are several on here who use A/C. I dont personally use it though

I think the decision on AC depends if you have enough truly hot days to make it worth the investment, we make do with damp sheets and a fan and frozen bottles of water in socks for the piggies to sit on (though only once have they ever gone near the frozen bottles!) , but the number of truly hot days we have is maybe 10 all summer... though I'm lucky to be able to work at home in the summer months so if the weather forecast is over 25 degrees I make a point of staying in during the hottest part of the day to fuss about the piggy rooms cooling things! If you have to go out to work on hot days then AC might give more peace of mind...

Having grown up on the Continent with hotter summers and shutters, one of the most effective measures is to keep the sun off the window glass. In very sunny weather and especially temperatures over 30 C wetting those old bed sheets (if necessarily repeatedly) strung over the top of the windows creates a layer of cool air between the sheet and the window as the water evaporates which acts as a very effective insulation. You can use the same principle between a cage and a fan if you peg a dampened towel where the fan hits the cage (otherwise the fan or air con should not be faced directly on your piggies).

Last year, on the hottest day of the summer with around 36 C in our area, I managed to keep the temperature in the piggy room to 26 C with just the sheets and the fan.
I've had the sheets out today but haven't needed to wet them to keep indoors temperatures in a bearable range. It may not be the most sightly way of keeping your piggies cool, but it is very cheap and a lot more eco-friendly than air con. I didn't even need the fan in the piggy room today!

Try to cool down your living quarters overnight as much as possible because the day's heat builds on it. The lower a temperature you can start off, the less the heat can climb inside over the course of the day.

Please take the time to read our many tips for both keeping your living quarters as cool as possible as well as keeping your piggies cool. On really hot days you need the combination of both and will have to use lots of tricks; especially with your frailer oldies.

Only put the piggies out in the morning and the evening once the outside is cooler than indoors; don't have them outside during the heat of the day. Even if they are supposedly safe in the shade of a tree, they can die if they are right in the path of a strong sun-warmed breeze of 50 C or more. One of our members has lost their piggies that way.

Last edited:

I drape a damp sheet over a closed window on the sunny side to create an insulating layer of much colder air between the fabric and the glass as the water evaporates and cools the air around it. This prevents a hot breeze from getting into the room. ;)

Having grown up on the Continent with hotter summers and shutters, one of the most effective measures is to keep the sun off the window glass. In very sunny weather and especially temperatures over 30 C wetting those old bed sheets (if necessarily repeatedly) strung over the top of the windows creates a layer of cool air between the sheet and the window as the water evaporates which acts as a very effective insulation. You can use the same principle between a cage and a fan if you peg a dampened towel where the fan hits the cage (otherwise the fan or air con should not be faced directly on your piggies).

Last year, on the hottest day of the summer with around 36 C in our area, I managed to keep the temperature in the piggy room to 26 C with just the sheets and the fan.
I've had the sheets out today but haven't needed to wet them to keep indoors temperatures in a bearable range. It may not be the most sightly way of keeping your piggies cool, but it is very cheap and a lot more eco-friendly than air con. I didn't even need the fan in the piggy room today!

Try to cool down your living quarters overnight as much as possible because the day's heat builds on it. The lower a temperature you can start off, the less the heat can climb inside over the course of the day.

Please take the time to read our many tips for both keeping your living quarters as cool as possible as well as keeping your piggies cool. On really hot days you need the combination of both and will have to use lots of tricks; especially with your frailer oldies.

Only put the piggies out in the morning and the evening once the outside is cooler than indoors; don't have them outside during the heat of the day. Even if they are supposedly safe in the shade of a tree, they can die if they are right in the path of a strong sun-warmed breeze of 50 C or more. One of our members has lost their piggies that way.
Thank you for your advice will definitely be trying the damp sheet! Last night I left the window open to attract a cooler breeze but then just before 8 this morning I pulled the blind down and left the window slightly open so the sun didn't get in. However it still feels like the most humid room of the house alot more humid than my bedroom across the hall. Perhaps it's the position. The temperature gage is 25.5 now so it must've been atleast 26 earlier. Must admit am starting to get a bit worried now. Will the damp sheet do the trick without the sun? Also this is one of their favorite hideys with a draped fleece blanket which they all like to hide under would it work if I made the fleece damp? Many thanks all. :) MVIMG_20210614_180957.webp

You don't have to get a/c but you can get air coolers. I don't know how good they at ebut they have good reviews. Probably depends on the size of the room. I believe you top them up with 5litres of cold water and switch them on. They wouldn't dry the air out as much as a/c I don't think, when I have the ac on in my work van I have to turn it off because I start feeling rubbish
Thank you will have a look :)

I think the decision on AC depends if you have enough truly hot days to make it worth the investment, we make do with damp sheets and a fan and frozen bottles of water in socks for the piggies to sit on (though only once have they ever gone near the frozen bottles!) , but the number of truly hot days we have is maybe 10 all summer... though I'm lucky to be able to work at home in the summer months so if the weather forecast is over 25 degrees I make a point of staying in during the hottest part of the day to fuss about the piggy rooms cooling things! If you have to go out to work on hot days then AC might give more peace of mind...
Thank you for your advice I will give it a think. I think I may invest in a fan! X

I use air con but I think it’s personal preference like other members are saying. I bought mine last year and it’s a portable one so it goes away in the garage at the end of the summer. It’s just peace of mind for me because I’m a teacher so can’t be at home all day during any hot spells and my boys are long haired! It’s made things much less stressful and I feel able to pop out for a few hours if I’m not working because I’m not stressed about trying to keep them cool. ☺️

Thank you for your advice will definitely be trying the damp sheet! Last night I left the window open to attract a cooler breeze but then just before 8 this morning I pulled the blind down and left the window slightly open so the sun didn't get in. However it still feels like the most humid room of the house alot more humid than my bedroom across the hall. Perhaps it's the position. The temperature gage is 25.5 now so it must've been atleast 26 earlier. Must admit am starting to get a bit worried now. Will the damp sheet do the trick without the sun? Also this is one of their favorite hideys with a draped fleece blanket which they all like to hide under would it work if I made the fleece damp? Many thanks all. :) View attachment 178260

If possible try to have through drafts overnight to flush the heat out of your living quarters. Be aware that the heat inside your living quarters moves with the wind direction. A hot wind usually comes from the South so the indoors heat will be pushed into the north-facing rooms when you air your house. On the other hand, west/north-facing rooms will be usually the first to cool down once a heat wave breaks, because that is the direction from which the cooler air mass arrives.

Please do NOT leave any windows open during the heat of the day; a hot breeze can be a lot hotter than the temperatures in the shade indicate. I close my windows as soon as the temperature outside is higher than indoors and open the windows again once the outside is cooler so the heat in the room will move out. The sheet trick will work in the shade, too, on a hot day; just not as quickly but in order to keep a north-facing piggy room cooler, please close the doors to any rooms that are in the full glare of the sun on a hot day because they will heat up pretty quickly.

If possible try to have through drafts overnight to flush the heat out of your living quarters. Be aware that the heat inside your living quarters moves with the wind direction. A hot wind usually comes from the South so the indoors heat will be pushed into the north-facing rooms when you air your house. On the other hand, west/north-facing rooms will be usually the first to cool down once a heat wave breaks, because that is the direction from which the cooler air mass arrives.

Please do NOT leave any windows open during the heat of the day; a hot breeze can be a lot hotter than the temperatures in the shade indicate. I close my windows as soon as the temperature outside is higher than indoors and open the windows again once the outside is cooler so the heat in the room will move out. The sheet trick will work in the shade, too, on a hot day; just not as quickly but in order to keep a north-facing piggy room cooler, please close the doors to any rooms that are in the full glare of the sun on a hot day because they will heat up pretty quickly.
Thank you great advice, the room is north facing and I think the build of the property helps it retain heat! Many thanks again :)

I use air con but I think it’s personal preference like other members are saying. I bought mine last year and it’s a portable one so it goes away in the garage at the end of the summer. It’s just peace of mind for me because I’m a teacher so can’t be at home all day during any hot spells and my boys are long haired! It’s made things much less stressful and I feel able to pop out for a few hours if I’m not working because I’m not stressed about trying to keep them cool. ☺️
Thank
Thank you good advice I've got this old device that is both a mini heater and cools the room (although it's not air con or a cooler) have had it on but turns itself off after about an hour! Many thanks :)

Okay, so we can put the fan directly on the cage as long as there’s a wet towel between the piggies and the air flow? Also, with the frozen water bottles, won’t they cause the damp/wet fleece that we try so hard to avoid? I need to keep my piggies cool as it’s about 80 in my house right now, and my central air conditioning just stopped working randomly today after 8 years. I swear these things only are happening to me now because I have the piggies and am so worried about them 24/7.

Okay, so we can put the fan directly on the cage as long as there’s a wet towel between the piggies and the air flow? Also, with the frozen water bottles, won’t they cause the damp/wet fleece that we try so hard to avoid? I need to keep my piggies cool as it’s about 80 in my house right now, and my central air conditioning just stopped working randomly today after 8 years. I swear these things only are happening to me now because I have the piggies and am so worried about them 24/7.

You can aim the fan at the cage as long as there is an obstruction so the air flow is not fully on the piggies. This is even more important with an air conditioning unit.

Please wrap the bottles in some fabric to absorb some of the condension as the water in the bottles melts; the piggies should not come into direct contact with ice. Please never fill the bottles to the top; keep in mind that ice expands and takes 10% more space than liquid water. Overfilling can cause splits and leaks.

You can aim the fan at the cage as long as there is an obstruction so the air flow is not fully on the piggies. This is even more important with an air conditioning unit.

Please wrap the bottles in some fabric to absorb some of the condension as the water in the bottles melts; the piggies should not come into direct contact with ice. Please never fill the bottles to the top; keep in mind that ice expands and takes 10% more space than liquid water. Overfilling can cause splits and leaks.

Yes, I’ve been putting the (not completely full) frozen water bottles inside of socks. They don’t seem to really be using them, but it’s definitely hot in here and I am freaking out. What sort of obstruction do you recommend the most? Like what will help keep them the most cool? The damp towel over the cage or the damp sheet or what?

Do you not use it because it doesn’t get super hot where you are, or you just don’t think it’s good for the piggies?

We dont consistently have the hot weather in the UK to really need it. We will get the odd few days where it'll be around 30-35 degrees but that's all.

Back