Hidey Houses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilpalf

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me again

What do people use as houses? I can easily get the the little plastic ones but not sure I want those.

Give me the pros and cons of what you use

There's pros and cons of all hides. Here's my experience with a few -
Plastic pigloos: I love them! They're hardy, easy to clean and the boys like to chew on them from time to time. Bad side is: they get very warm in summer!
Wooden houses: I loved these too, they're great for nibbling and keeping those teeth in check. They stay cool in the warmer weather too. Bad side, they soak up pee like a sponge. They can smell awful if not regularly cleaned and put in the oven for a bit to kill germs. I don't use them anymore because of this.
Wicker/seagrass hides: the best! They get destroyed and eaten, but they're a great boredom breaker and they stay cool in warm weather and don't soak up pee. Bad side; general destruction haha.
I hope this helps a bit :)

That is a fantastic response, thank you. I'd not thought about them getting too hot, so that has helped immensely

This is what I use, they are the shelf savers from asda £2 each I think. Hubby cut and filed the little leg thingies off them, I usually put one of their fleece blankets over it making sure I pad the top as they like too jump on top of them when their doing their nightly laps :D and I also make sure the inside bars are covered now as Ted chose to have a chew!

image.webp

Last edited:
This is what I use, they are the shelf savers from asda £2 each I think. Hubby cut and filed the little leg thingies off them, I usually put one of their fleece blankets over it making sure I pad the top as they like too jump on top of them when their doing their nightly laps :D and I also make sure the inside bars are covered now as Ted chose to have a chew!

Great idea

View attachment 47871

here are some pics of what I use - the pink tub is one of those plastic buckets you get in Asda, the handles cut off easily with scissors and then doors cut in - perfect for the outside run - the piggies love hiding in them and also escaping through the rear door too - kept in the shade though.
Also the other two were from Poundland - they are stackable storage tubs so I use some the top side open (blue one) for lhay trays and some upside down as hidey's - they are not that tall but easily accommodate two small piggies or one chunky adult - they also enjoy turning them over and pushing them about too - couldn't justify the cost of a pigloo, and these are great - easily washed and you can buy a few as they are so cheap! i also use cardboard boxes with holes cut for doors if they are out and it's hot but I always keep them out of the midday sun as even with a sunshade it would be too hot at this time of year.
bin1.webp bin2.webp bin3.webp

I've spent hundreds on these things and after trying everything the top four are:

4- Large wooden house in the outside run.
3- Hay house.
2- Large box filled with Hay

Favourite by miles

1- old shoe box with entrance holes cut in two sides.

I've spent hundreds on these things and after trying everything the top four are:

4- Large wooden house in the outside run.
3- Hay house.
2- Large box filled with Hay

Favourite by miles

1- old shoe box with entrance holes cut in two sides.

Simple things are the best

:DI used to have those round fleecy hides. I used a circle of plastic in the bottom to keep it clean and cut circles of Zorb and fleece to put inside as beds. This created a lot of washing as I was changing the round beds daily.
I also use large Trixie Natura houses; two inside and three in the garden. Easy to clean and room for up to 3 piggies. Custom made cage liners can be bought for inside.
My girls also have three wooden houses from Zooplus. Only the very bottom edge gets wet.
Sea grass houses; room to stretch out, gives them something to gnaw on. Needs a thick bed or something waterproof on the bottom to stop it getting wet.

Chooken is derived from Chicken :)) Chicken Legs or Chooken legs are when piggies stick their little legs out displaying their 'drumstick'

Your piggy is a wonderful Chooken leg displayer!
She has been doing this the last two days... seems she is most comfortable laying down in her last days of pregnancy

Chock has a wooden rabit cotage from pets at home and he loves it...

My pigs prefer plain cardboard boxes to any hideys I've spent money on. If you want to try the box option, just be sure you don't tape the box together (they might try to eat the tape) and make a little entrance for them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back