Hi! I have 2 guinea pigs that are fighting a lot while I am trying to bond them. what should I do?

Hi again! it has been more than 2 months and my 2 guinea pigs are still fighting, Simba still rumbles at Mango like every 10 seconds lol! Any tips?

Rumbling is not fighting.
Rumbling is normal dominance behaviour and a way of maintaining their relationship for their whole lives but it is more prevalent during the teens. This is when a piggy is between 4 and 14 months of age.
So Simba around 8 months now and Mango is 4 months - is that right?
If so, right now Simba is coming up to another hormone spike and Mango is just starting in his teens and his hormones are rising. There is going to be a lot of testosterone flying around for the next months.
There is nothing you need to do about normal dominance though - you let them get on with it.

However, it is also important to check that you aren’t inadvertently causing it.
Things like disrespecting their hierarchy - handling the submissive piggy first will cause the dominant to feel the need to constantly reassert dominance.
Cleaning the cage too much can also cause it. If you remove all the soiled bedding in one go, then you wipe the cage of all scent and it will then cause them to need to reestablish their bond.

Make sure their cage is big enough - 180x60cm
Make sure all hides have two doors
Make sure there is multiple of all items

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

If however they aren’t compatible and it slips over into bullying then that is different. That is a sustained behaviour which is so relentless the submissive piggy becomes withdrawn and depressed. They may lose weight at each weekly weight check due to being chased away from hay. Bullying may also result in a full on fight where the submissive piggy finally has enough and is pushed too far.
If there is bullying or actual fight which causes injuries and draws blood, then their bond is over and they would need to be immediately and permanently separated.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thank you for letting me know about all of this, as I said I am not used to this type of animal lol I used to have rabbits and they are much more different.
Could I get a female pig for the 2 males, will they still get along? or will they fight over the female?

Thank you for letting me know about all of this, as I said I am not used to this type of animal lol I used to have rabbits and they are much more different.
Could I get a female pig for the 2 males, will they still get along? or will they fight over the female?

No you cannot add a female in with them. It will cause them to fight (and or course they aren’t neutered so she will get pregnant).

Boars can only remain in pairs and you cannot add any other pigs at all. You cannot even add another male as that will also cause fights.

If you want more pigs, you will need to get another pair of boars and keep them totally separate in another cage.
You should not get females if you want lore puds, but even adding females into a separate cage but in the same room will also cause your current boar pair to fight as soon as they even smell females in the same room.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I cannot even add 2 females right? if I spay the females will it be fine?

No, you would still have to separate the boys as even if they had a lady "each" they would fight over them.
I have had to recently separate my boar pair. They are getting on fine as neighbours.

I cannot even add 2 females right? if I spay the females will it be fine?

No you can’t. You can never put any other piggies in with them at all (not females (spayed or not) nor males).
If you attempt to put any other piggy in the cage with your two boys then you will ruin their bond and they will fight.

This is the downside to having boars - you can never have a herd with them if you wish them to stay together.

As I said, the only way you can have additional piggies is for you to have another pair and keep them in a totally separate cage.
Or, neuter your boys. After six weeks after their neutering has passed, you would have to split them up into separate cages and then put them each with their own sows. The two boys can then never mix again.

If I had 1 male then I would be able to get females, am I right?

Back