• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello. I am posting this for a good friend of mine...

Her guinea pig 'piggie' has a HUGE lump under her chin. Vicky only noticed this about 30 minutes ago when she got piggie out, and is really upset and desperate for your help. She is taking her to a vet tommorow but i thought i could post on here for some advice and what you thought it is. She has just started to eat, but has been drinking. Piggie doesnt mind it being touched and just lick's vix' hand. Please help her!

Posted some pigtures to help...
piggy3.jpg

piggy2.jpg

piggy.jpg

I dont know ?

It could be a bite or something. Tell your friend not to worry,,the piggy will be fine x

Oh, piggie lives on her own, and vicky is watching the thread with her EAGLE EYES lol

Same as Jane said,, tell her i said good luck at the vet and piggy will be fine

This looks like a neck abcess to me.These are relatively common and can be lanced and back flushed by a competant vet.The hole will have to be back flushed 2 or 3 times a day for 3 to 4 days.The vet will show your friend how to do this,it is not too difficult .The vet may put the piggy on an anatibiotic such as Baytril,if she does tell your friend to ask the vet for Bio-Lapis or a similar probiotic.This can be given orally,and should be given for the course of the Baytril.

Some extra vitimin c could help to boost the immune system and help healing.

Vix has taken piggie to the vet about 30mins ago. FINGERS CROSSED AND WISH HER LUCK PLEASE (sorry for caps, couldnt resist)

Agree completely with Mary. I have had to deal with several of these.

Sending lots of luck for Piggie. I am sure he will be fine. :)

I agree too and have been through 4 successfully, so I am hoping it will be okay! O0

One of mine had something like this come up over night- really scary how quickly it happened. Just make sure its regularly flushed like Mary said and she'll be fine.

Hiya, sorry for slow reply, just woke up lol.

Piggie went to vets last night, the vet said that it was nothing to worry about and just gave her antibioticks (sp?) The lump halved in size last night and have not heard from her today. ill keep you all osted and thank you for your help :)

Hi Tom Cat.

Did the vet tell your friend what he/she thinks the lump is?.If it is an abcess,the antibiotic will reduce the swelling but there is a chance that once the antibiotic course is finished,there may be still a small pocket of pus that will reinfect.

The best treatment for an abcess is the forementioned lancing and backflushing.

Hope the vet gave your friend a probiotic as well.Did you mention to your friend about giving a vit.C supplement to boost the immune system,which will help the body fight the infection.

Hi Mary

I havnt really had a chat to vicky yet, so I'm not sure about it. Just that it had halved last night. Ill ask her and get back to you.

Hey its vicky!
I took piggy to the vet and shes fine, its a salivary gland thats swolen and i have to apply cream once a day..
Thankgod shes fine!
Thanks for everyones support :smitten: i really appreciate it!
I will keep posting updates for you!

Thanks everyone xxxxx

Oh i am so glad that the pig is going to be fine. I was actually worrying about it :'( but I'm happy now ;D

oh i'm so glad to hear it's not serious! hope piggie's back to her normal self soon! :smitten:

WHEW that's a huge relief for you love, i also thought an abscess too :tickedoff: :tickedoff: rotten things.
Glad you can treat with cream etc, but do keep a strict eye on the lump if it at all changed or your piggie stops eating or drinking i'd be off to the vets pronto.
Good luck :) and welcome to the forum :)

I don't want to worry you Vicky, but I do wonder if it is an abscess. Not all vets are guinea-savvy. It is in the classic place for an abscess and I have dealt with several of these myself. The vet could put in a needle and see what comes out. If it is whiteish pus then it is an abscess and will need flushing as well as anti bios and pro bios.

I may be wrong, but the photos and description look sinister to me. What do others think?

I've never had a piggy with an abscess but i have seen a non piggy vet before & took my poorly piggy for a second opinion.
No disrespect to your vet Vicky but i'm not convinced rubbing cream on it would make a swollen salivary gland go away  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back