Help With The Ramp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've currently got the ramp closed off completely in my hutch. I'm planning in getting a ramp tunnel, but even when I do I'm worried they'll be too busy racing around the hutch that they just fall down the big hole!
I have to admit to initially being concerned about that with the hutch our boys are in - it was built with a wooden guard about 15cm high around 2 sides of the opening on the top floor. With one side against the back wall of the hutch that leaves just one side without a guard - the side they need open to access it - and this side is itself only about 10cm from the edge of the side wall of the hutch.

Those guards certainly help ease my worries and I'd recommend doing something similar if you haven't got it already - some members on here have used Perspex to do this. But I still worried the boys might jump over the guards and fall down the hole - especially as I originally had it blocked up and they used to sit on the area which is now the hole.

But I'm pleased to say my fears have never been realised and I've watched them zooming around many a time.

Have just read this with interest. I have just moved mine from a 2 storey hutch to... a new 2 storey hutch and they have completely lost the capacity to use the ramp again! Ramp is more enclosed in this hutch but does look like it might be more slippery than the previous one either that or my 3 are being bloody awkward! Think we will have to cover it this weekend

Have just read this with interest. I have just moved mine from a 2 storey hutch to... a new 2 storey hutch and they have completely lost the capacity to use the ramp again! Ramp is more enclosed in this hutch but does look like it might be more slippery than the previous one either that or my 3 are being bloody awkward! Think we will have to cover it this weekend
Funny piggies! Possibly is that it is more slippy. Ours sometimes get stage fright on our laminate floors despite going off the fleece I put down for them and walking on it fine at other times.

Funny piggies! Possibly is that it is more slippy. Ours sometimes get stage fright on our laminate floors despite going off the fleece I put down for them and walking on it fine at other times.

I don't quite know whether its funny or stubborness... the OH would say they get it from their mummy :))

I even put the veg downstairs today and they just stood at the door to the top layer wheeking at me for ages... I went away for 30 mins... went back to check and they were still sat there waiting and immediately started up again

It is working I used guttering for the ramp and on Sunday when cleaning out the hutch I found that Beano was upstairs when their house is down with the food. Yesterday evening when I went in with the veggies Cookie was upstairs.Tonight I put some lettuce on the ramp along with a huge pile of hay (which they also have downstairs) and some treats. Hoping they will be gone tomorrow morning or they will be up there.

My new piggy Alfie was unsure with the ramp when he first moved into the hutch, he's a dab hand at zooming up and down it now. ;)

We still have a no go area or stubborn pigs and trying to figure out which it is! The OH is looking at making a less steep ramp (though its no steeper than there old one) and he's also looking at a suitable covering to help them so they don't slip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back