• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP Piggy being sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before care is important too :) He needs Rimadyl before the op. Take his favourite food in a seperate container and ask the nurses to put in it after the op, but do make sure he eats pre op ::)

If he has a lump it would be best not to get him castrated until he's got over that perhaps? Just in case there are any toxins present that could go to the site of the op- Jenny (my vet) won't do them if they have an abscess etc.

Afterwards he needs to be warm and have Vetbed bedding to keep him clean.

Mine are glued so no probs with stitches or anything.

Just how mine are done :)

Its a bit frustrating as he is fostered the RSPCA picked him up and took him. I would prefer to take him myself as i think i would have demanding they sort the lump out now. Guess i cant do anything though :( . She said they will sort it when they neuter him I'm guessing that he wont be booked in for that until after next week when as he needs to go back for another inv... injection.

I'm still keeping him inside so i can keep an eye on him. He is lapping up all the attention its a shame though as he had just got used to having guinea pig company as he was next to Jimmy and Joe in the piggy shed. :smitten:

jnenbnb said:
Could he have sort of choked on a bit of food after he chewed it so sort of coughed it out? i saw Ralfie do this with a piece of carrot once, was very strange but he's never done it since :-\ x

I agree, he could be choking up some stuck food, :-\ you should go to the vets ASAP!

you mabye he has chocked on something but that pea sized spot with a crusted top that could be a fungal infection (it wil be unrealated to the coughing/choking) just don't touch untill the vet checks it, he might have had heaving hiccups he probs ate somthig to fast and has heaving hiccups or this might seem to be vomiting the stuff coming out of his mouth might have been the food he ate to quickly. typical piggie ::)

Make sure you dont touch that spot to much as you might get a fungal infection if you have wash your hands PROPERLY lol
but make sure you tell the vet about the spot straight away

Hope i helped O0

lindsay7 said:
Murphy is back from the Vets they have checked his throat and everything and cannot find anything wrong with him. He has had an inviromed (sp) injection and needs another in a weeks time as he has a small amount of hair loss on his back. He is going to be neutered soon so they are going to take off the little lump that he has got under his tummy at the same time.

Never had a piggy neutered before what sort of aftercare will he need. Any advice would be great so i know what to expect. Had cats neutered but not piggies.

He has been to the vets today see above post from page 2.

CCT recommend that guineas don't go under anaesthetic within 10 days of receiving Ivermectin/Ivermectin products because of the action Ivermectin takes on the nervous system= maybe the vet will refuse to treat him anyway :)

I'm sure she wont book him in until we know he is ok now. Karen have u ever come across a piggy that heaves due to some food he has eaten. I'm not sure if he was heaving due to either fresh food or wagg that i gave him. Not sure what he was given to eat with his old owner and whether he was given fresh food at all.

I have given him some Burgess excel and he is eating that ok without heaving. Should i leave him off veg for a day see if that also keeps him from heaving.

I'm thinking that if nothing medically is wrong it could be his food. Sorry if this sounds waffley just trying to do my best for him. mjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj <- that is what murphy typed he keeps climbing on my knee onto the laptop he is getting lots of TLC from us and lapping it up bless him.

Oh love we have our paws crossed for Murphy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Poor little guy :'( :'( :'(
I'm glad he has you as his mummy tho :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Glynis, I have put him onto Burgess Excel and not given him any veg and he has been fine. He is also munching his hay fine Not sure if its the wagg or the fact that he is not used to veg that has upset him. Think its going to be trial and error until i know if its food that has upset him. If its veg i will have to get advice on what supplements he will need if not having veg or how to slowly introduce veg back to him.

Bless him to look at him you would not believe anything is wrong with him. He is climbing all over me he is now watching crime watch update lol. :smitten:

Could it have been dust in the Wagg perhaps? Those heaving hiccups can be quite a scary experience at first if thats what they were. I think all you can do is watch what he's eating if he does it again and hope there is a link. Keep weighing him and any drastic changes (more than 2oz loss in a wheek) then start to think it might be something else.

I think its the way they eat their food more than what they've eaten (if it was Heaving Hiccups).

He shouldn't need supplements, feed hay and Readigrass/Just Grass etc and introduce veg one or 2 types at a time. I would start with grass and herbage if possible and maybe a small amount of greens. I had a group in like this and they had mostly hay to eat for the first few days and were gradually introduced to veg etc. Most of them put on a pound in weight before they were rehomed!

I weighed him earlier as i thought that would be a good way to keep an eye on him and he weighs 972g. Will weigh him again in a few days and see how things are going.

Will leave him off veg while tomorrow night to see how he goes.

Thanks Karen you have been a great help.

LOL @ watching Crime Watch update ;D ;D
Glad to hear he's feeling more himself again... you're doing a wonderful job :smitten: :smitten: and yes Karen has been just great O0 :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back