• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP Piggy being sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay7

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When i went to the piggy shed after lunch time to check on the boys. Murphy my foster pig was making a funny noise as if being sick when i looked at him as he was out of his hutch and underneath it he was sort of being sick i know that they cant be sick but a liquid was coming from his moth a bit of a greeny brown colour quite a bit came out. I have brought him inside and when i checked his tummy i found a spot with a bit of a crusty top on it its the size of a pea this is under neath him. Also he has been coughing its a high pitched sort of cough. Had him inside about two hours in the basket he has not coughed for about an 1.5 hrs he has had some cucumber and seems ok now.

I have phoned the RSPCA lady as that is who I'm fostering for and she is going to get him in at the vets monday but said to keep an eye on him and they will get a vet out to him if he gets worse.

Sorry for the long explanation Anyone has a pig being sort of sick before?

While i have been typing his he has had some brown stuff come from his mouth again his sides seem to pulse then it comes out it was only a tiny bit this time :(

Poor piggie, could it be an abcess or something that has burst in his mouth, I have no idea, someone else will be along soon I'm sure. Personally I would get him to the vet if you can. Sorry that's not too helpful :-\

Can you see if there's a bit of hay or something stuck in his mouth?

Aww poor piggie

Hope he gets better soon

I'm not too helpful but all I can advise is the vets asap

Could he have sort of choked on a bit of food after he chewed it so sort of coughed it out? i saw Ralfie do this with a piece of carrot once, was very strange but he's never done it since :-\ x

Cuzzy done that once with some hay. You've done right by keeping him in just keeping monitoring him and if you are still concerned call a vet.

Louise
x

It does sound like his lump/scab could be an abcess or something similar.

Your best bet is to get him checked out at the vet asap as he does sound under the weather the poor little chap.

He is going to the vet on monday because he is fostered the RSPCA lady is going to take him Monday but she said to keep an eye on him over the weekend and if he gets worse to call her again and she will get a vet out. He is staying inside now so we can keep an eye on him he has not had anything come out of his mouth for a few hours now. But is still coughing a bit about twice every hour.

He doesnt look ill at all he is still eating but not as much as piggies usually do.

We are not too sure how he was fed before. Is it possible he could allergic to any foods?

Just trying to think what it could be i have listened to his chest and all sounds fine.

GPs cannot vomit,so the gunk must have been unchewed food or has already been suggested,a burst abcess.

It could be that something is blocking the back of the mouth or trhoat so he is unable to swallow properly.I think his mouth and throat need to be checked by a vet asap., as there could be a cyst or something there.

Its not a heaving hiccup is it? Difficult to explain they sound like the noise come from the back of the throat- the ones I've heard have been high pitched (well quite).

As for the lump is it a belly button? How old is guinea?
How much hair is on his tum?

Sound like a heaving hiccup but get him checked anyway and take note of how often and when it happens :)

I would just take him to the vets asap not wait till Monday like the rspca have told you to do. I would bill them too and tell them it was not fair on the piggie as he was in pain and could not eat ;) good luck

karenrgpr said:
Its not a heaving hiccup is it? Difficult to explain they sound like the noise come from the back of the throat- the ones I've heard have been high pitched (well quite).

As for the lump is it a belly button? How old is guinea?
How much hair is on his tum?

Sound like a heaving hiccup but get him checked anyway and take note of how often and when it happens :)

Do you think it could be a heaving hickup as he does sort of pump from his sides. Can you tell me more about heaving hickups as i havent heard of it before. He is just under a year old. It is definately some sort of pea size spot type absess thing. Popped out to get a takeaway and came back and he has the gungey stuff on his mouth again. Think its everytime he eats something it comes back in the form of brown gunge.

Should i try to get some water into his mouth see if he can take that down?

RSPCA lady said to call her if he gets worse and she will get a vet out. Thing is he seems ok in himself bombing about everywhere just this gungey stuff and the high pitched coughing. Will log everything that happens over the next hour see how often the gungey stuff and coughing happens.

God i could cry i feel that upset for him.

Maybe everything he's eating is going down the wrong way? :( poor thing, something must be blocking his throat as someones said! Hope he's ok x

Aw keep us updated and if he keeps on doing it get him to a vet asap.
Hope its just a heaving hiccup O0

jnenbnb said:
heres what peter gurney says

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/heavinghiccups.htm

sounds as if it could be?
x
Thanks for that link i have looked and i think it could be that. I have just monitored everything for the last hour. He has eaten some cucumber had a drink of water. One little cough twenty mins after eating no heaving up gunk. He has also pooped 8 times. Sorry for the info overload about the poops but at least he has done some! Wondering if it was something that went down the wrong way and has maybe made his throat sore now.

Pleased he has not heaved up after eating this time. Will see if things stay the same. Cant keep my eyes of him cant imagine i will get any sleep tonight. If it happens again i will ring the vet straight away. If not he is still going to the vet Monday for a check up and for them to look at what i now think is an absess on his tummy. Poor little man :'(

Just filled his cage up with hay for him to settle in and he just dive bombed in. He is still managing to be himself after all that heaving and coughing earlier. :smitten: :smitten:

Is he eating?

Get the RSPCA tp get a vet out ASAP, them and us can't see him so its best to be extra careful. Just sounds like our Molly used to do- we no longer have a heaving hiccuper in the shed now ::)

Am I right in thinking the lump that you mention isn't in the mouth? it doesn't mean there isn't anything there of course :)

Yes he is eating bits and has not heaved anything up anymore for a good few hours now after eating, he has had some water as well and still ok.

Did you piggy heave hicup alot, and did she heave up gunky liquid as well? What did the vet do for her?

His lump is underneath on his tummy.

She would have a heaving hiccup session at least wheekly but never went to the vets for it. Occasionaly one of the others do it as a one off but Molly was quite regular, I think she probably bolted her food ::)

There was no gunky liquid, but if yours has just eaten then it will be food thats been in the mouth.

Just read that the lump is pea size, thats not a belly button.

So is he eating as normal?

karenrgpr said:
She would have a heaving hiccup session at least wheekly but never went to the vets for it. Occasionaly one of the others do it as a one off but Molly was quite regular, I think she probably bolted her food ::)

There was no gunky liquid, but if yours has just eaten then it will be food thats been in the mouth.

Just read that the lump is pea size, thats not a belly button.

So is he eating as normal?

I would say abit less than normal only had him since Thurs so not sure how much he eats or what he likes yet. He ate all his romaine cucumber and red peppers thurs and fri. Just today its not been as much.

I would definatly get him seen By a vet as soon as possible its definatly not Normal.

You need a baby monitor to put in his room to see if he has anymore 'coughs' during the night :)

Murphy has been eating more over the weekend but not as much as he should do. He has just been picked up to go to the Vets. I know i wont settle until he is back. :'( Had him at work with me so it was easier for the RSPCA lady to pick him up. Bless him he is still being himself he has been thoroughly spoilt this weekend :smitten: :smitten:

Will keep you posted on how he gets on.

Murphy is back from the Vets they have checked his throat and everything and cannot find anything wrong with him. He has had an inviromed (sp) injection and needs another in a weeks time as he has a small amount of hair loss on his back. He is going to be neutered soon so they are going to take off the little lump that he has got under his tummy at the same time.

Never had a piggy neutered before what sort of aftercare will he need. Any advice would be great so i know what to expect. Had cats neutered but not piggies.

Aw glad he's ok. Was probably a heaving hiccup then? Karen and Mary are the ones to ask about neutering, sorry i cant help, i have a neutered boar but got him after his op so not sure on aftercare :) xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back