• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All, My boar Boo, has an impacted bum :( and i am not too sure how to clear it. i have been 'froobing' it out with kitchen paper, but read that you could use cotton buds but how? it only started today and i am clearing it every 10 mins at the minute to try at get most of it out. I am away at the weekend and cokme back on sunday, might be back for a bit on saturday. How do i clear it?

PLEASE HELP ME!

looks like tom_cats got some reading heehee well its all worth it to help the piggies O0

Thanks for all the links :) i read on another post, that it is good to feed them banana's for three days a week every other week. Should i seperate Boo from his hutch buddy or just leave him? If i seperate them it would mean that he could get the banana's as his buddy is quite fond of them.

I wouldn't think that his impaction would harm his buddy, so I think he'd be fine O0
You could always let him eat bits of banana on your knee after he's eaten his other food? :) :)

Cavy Crazy said:
Just separate them when you want to feed Boo banana. O0

O0 yep! Just give him like some banana in your hand or something while he's on your knee :D:D or in a little bowl O0

thanks guy's, on a site i went on, it said that he will have itfor life, is that true or will it clear up?

He will have it for life and the sites will tell you how to clear it. It gets easier everytime and doesn't take long at all, however, brace you nose. ::) ;D

*hands you a peg* Use that O0 yeah I read through the site and it said it can be quite smelly *does a sick face*

He isnt very lively, he just lies there, it is very sloppy but i think that is just cuz it is the first day of having it.

Agree, it isn't very pleasent for them or us but it needs to be done. O0

will he get used to it and get back to normal soon?

will i have to clear it all his life? If so, how often?

also will this affect his age of living?

I'm not sure if it clears up. Hang on will go rea it in a peter gurney book, be back in 5mins for you O0

I really apreciate all your help guys, i just hope he gets back to normal soon, i know it will stay with him all his life but will i have to clear it all his life? and how often should i be clearing it?

Will he get used to it and get back to normal soon?

Yes, he will.

Will I have to clear it all his life? If so, how often?

Yes, he will have it for life. Mine normallly need doing once to twice a week but it all depends on the guinea.

Will this affect his age of living?

No, it is just like wiping a babies bottom, keeping him clean and comfortable. O0

Cavy Crazy said:
Will he get used to it and get back to normal soon?

Yes, he will.

Will I have to clear it all his life? If so, how often?

Yes, he will have it for life. Mine normallly need doing once to twice a week but it all depends on the guinea.

Will this affect his age of living?

No, it is just like wiping a babies bottom, keeping him clean and comfortable. O0

thanks alot, that was all the info i neede, have you got many with this then?

In peter gurneys book it says:
There is no cure and provided that the owner expels these impacted lumps on a regular basic the boar will be fine. This is bes done holding the boar the lavatory (or even a washing up bowl or one of their food bowls or something), legs apart, and pushing the ball out from behind. Sometimes some water-soluble lubricant can help (like KY kelly or liquid silk). If in doupt ask your vet.

Could it be because he is out alot on grass and it has blocked him up?

Tom_cat said:
thanks alot, that was all the info i neede, have you got many with this then?

I have two boars that have both got it. I don't mind doing it at all, like I say you get use to it. O0

Tom_cat said:
Could it be because he is out alot on grass and it has blocked him up?

No, it is just something that happens with boars, normally elderly ones but it can happen with younger ones to. :)

Thanks alot, if i need anymore help i will PM you if thats ok :) as you have 2 with it.

The stuff that comes out is what they eat out of their bums themselves. You may have noticed them reaching between their legs? This is what they are doing. In impacted boars, they cant do this any more so I have heard before that you should offer it to them to eat as it contains vital nutrients :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back