• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help, Guinea pig is really ill and dying right now!

• Thread starter Thread starter John Locke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Locke

Please help us,

We have two guinea pigs, both about 6 months old, and one of them is really sick. We though he might have had a small fit recently, but he seemed fine since. Just minutes ago he was sitting on the floor being stroked and he suddenly had a bad fit and fell over. His limbs were stiff and he wasn't moving, we though he was dead but then he appeared to come around and gradually seemed a little better but is still and was bleeding a little from his mouth. Now his breathing is really rough although he has squeeked a little and moved around a bit.

Please help, we think he's dying.

Sorry, I can't suggest anything to help, but I hope he pulls through, poor little guy :(

I suggest getting him to a vet though, ASAP.

I WOULD FIND AN EMERGENCY VET NOW

It may be a stroke you really need to get intouch with a vet asap

Can only reiterate what the others have said. This is obviously very serious and you need to contact a vet. Keep the guinea in a quiet darkish place so he's not frightened or upset if you are panicking etc.

Get him in a warm, dark & quiet place pref with his friend - if the friend is calm & call the CCT Cambridge Cavy Trust.

The lady is called Vedra & is possibly one of the best Guinea doctors in this country. You won't be charged for the advice - but please remember to thank her for it!

Let us know how it goes. If it is a stroke, the good news is that he may come round from it... mine had a mini stroke once & is ok now.

Good luck

We don't have any access to a vet here, we've got him wrapped in a blanket keeping him warm, his breathing is slow and rasping, but his occasionally squeeks.

Give that number a call, Vedra has vets travel from abroad to have her teach them she's that clued up....

Have PMd you. Put him on a hot water bottle thats wrapped in a towel, offer water via his bottle or syringe if you know how (though he sounds bad...). Put Vicks on his nose (the hairy bit) but not near eyes. Put a bowl of steaming water in the room, or put him in the kitchen and boil a pan of water, failing this the shower is an excellent room to steam.

Do you have Sudofed and a syringe? Calpol?

I wish him the best poor thing its a shame you don't have a vet nearby, maybe sort out a plan in case of future pig emergencies like this. Please let us know how it goes

Thanks for the messages people, but I'm afaind that Frank had just died in our arms wrapped in his blanket. We're both crying here, I feel like we need to explain it to the other one, we're worried he will be lonely without his brother. We don't think we did anything wrong with Frank.

Sorry to hear this John, :'( at least he chose to go in your arms and not get stressed out at the vets. His brother will be lonely without him but do not grieve in the same way as Humans. In time you will need to match him with a new friend, I would advise going to a rescue and let him choose his own friend. You could either have him castrated and let him choose a girlie or try to pair him with a boar. I prefer to pair adult to adult boars, its takes longer to find a mate sometimes but when you get one that works out (friendship) I've found them more likely to stay friends.

Wheekers Worldwww.wheeker.proboards54.com and guinea pig rehome have details of rescues nationwide and pigs available for adoption.

Give his brother a hug from me :)

Sorry to hear of your loss John, welcome to the forum.

Bev x x

I am so sorry to hear about your loss :'( At least his last moments were with you guys tho, in your arms and i'm sure he knew he was loved.....

/hugs

Trace x

I'm so sorry for your loss, Frank sounded like a little battler RIP little man. :-* :-*

Welcome to the forum and i hope we can help you at this sad time and in the future with Frank's little brother, take care

Thank you for all your good thoughts, it;s Lindsay here, Gil's (John... usernames :o) partner. We are worried about Bowie, Frank's brother, getting lonely, but feel awful replacing him :( I have put a picture of the piggies in our avatar - Frank was the ginger one. I hope we'll use this forum for more positive posts from now on.

Thanks again guys.

its not a nice thing to see when things like that happen so we all know how youre feeling right now :'(

Hi Lindsay, you will not be replacing him, that would be impossible :) You need to think of Bowie now :) Cool name by the way (sorry, probably not the time...)

So very sorry for your loss. :'(

Frank has gone to the Rainbow Bridge and all of our darling departed guinea pigs are looking after him.

So sorry to hear about Frank.

When you feel ready, I'm sure Bowie would benefit from having a new friend. In the meantime, if you have him indoors with you and give him lots of hugs and attention, that will help.

how awlful for you all to happen obvioulsya vet would have been no help to the poor lttle man, but you really need to know when and how to get vet help in case of another emergency,
have you ever read the Rainbow bridge poem, it makes you feel better after reading to what and where Frank is now at,
God bless little man chin up yuou two, :'( :'(

michellemuffin said:
how awlful for you all to happen obvioulsya vet would have been no help to the poor lttle man, but you really need to know when and how to get vet help in case of another emergency,
have you ever read the Rainbow bridge poem, it makes you feel better after reading to what and where Frank is now at,
God bless little man chin up yuou two, :'( :'(

Yes, i too would recomed the rainbow bridge poem. Since finding this site i have had a lot of comfort from that. Even thinking about it fills my eyes with tears. :'( :'( :'( :'(
Here is a link i got form this site.
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

How awful an experience for you both. I am so sorry it happened.

Welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you :)

Kelly

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back