• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gut stasis?

He’s coming home after the surgery if all goes well! They completely understood about leaving him with no supervision. He’ll be coming home with pain meds and she said she’ll send instructions on what injections he’ll need to the vets closer to me so they can do it for him. He’s gone in for his surgery now. Hoping for the best! So nervewracking :(

Sending lots of best wishes

Hi all, just spoke with the vet and he’s out of surgery a couple hours now. Still very out of it from anaesthesia but they’re gonna try feed him in about an hour and he’s coming home at 7pm! He’s gonna be on diuretics for the rest of his life to try and prevent this ever happening again. Hopefully everything is okay from here. Thank you all so much for all your help and advice and sorry about all the spamming in this thread and my previous one over the past month! xx

It's no problem at all - we're here to support you and your pig. It's hard going even if you've been through it before and when it's all new it's even harder to see a way through. So pleased he'd made it through the surgery x

Hi, I was following your other thread and have only just seen this one. Glad to hear the surgery went well and hope Bobby is now safely home

It's no problem at all - we're here to support you and your pig. It's hard going even if you've been through it before and when it's all new it's even harder to see a way through. So pleased he'd made it through the surgery x
Thank you so much ❤️ He’ll be home soon with a big roll of vet bed so he’ll be nice and comfy tonight, poor boy has had such a long day

Just to add, does anyone know what may be normal after operations? He’s home and very very stoic and not moving much. He did a pee and a good few poops, he accepted tiny bits of carrot and he’s had a lot of critical care. My vet said to bring him to local vet with his prescription if he’s unwell, she said unwell meaning no poops and not himself, but also said gabapentin which he’s on might cause drowsiness so it’s very difficult to tell if I should be worried honestly. He hasn’t wanted hay or anything. Not sure if it’s effects of anaesthesia and all his meds combined with a long day of travelling or what. I’ll ring his vet tomorrow morning anyway but just if anyone has any intel

Tips For Post-operative Care

Don't know if you've seen this guide.
In my experience with post op piggies what you are seeing sounds fairly normal. Poops and peeing is good. You may need to syringe feed if he is lethargic and not eating hay for a few days. If you are worried don't hesitate to speak to the vet though.

Tips For Post-operative Care

Don't know if you've seen this guide.
In my experience with post op piggies what you are seeing sounds fairly normal. Poops and peeing is good. You may need to syringe feed if he is lethargic and not eating hay for a few days. If you are worried don't hesitate to speak to the vet though.
Thank you for the link! He’s not wanting to eat on his own and very still and not moving much, definitely still in pain I think but I was instructed not to give him anything until the morning. I’ve given him probably about 20mls of critical care, conscious to overdo it but if I put tiny hay stalks into his mouth he is chewing albeit INCREDIBLY slowly. Hoping this is just after effects of anaesthesia, medications and stress of the whole ordeal. I’ll talk to his vet first thing in the morning though and get her opinion!

How are you and Bobby today?
He was just at my normal vets for an injection of Buprenorphine and Metoclopramide! He’s very stoic and seems miserable, he won’t move really at all and just tucks himself into corners :( He has taken bites out of cucumber a few times since last night and a small nibble of hay, but I’ve been syringe feeding him about 8-10mls every few hours just incase and also some water. Hoping he’s just in some pain that’ll subside and this isn’t a really negative recovery. He seems quite dopey and his eyes look tired but hard to tell if it’s all the meds making him drowsy. Waiting for a call from his exotic vet later anyway so I’ll discuss this all with her again!

Still waiting on a response from his surgeon but he’s so catatonic and not eating at all. Seems like he’s not swallowing or chewing properly either, so getting critical care in is harder than usual and he’s spitting out some of it. Poor thing is just lying with his hair fluffed up looking completely zoned out. His poops aren’t consistent but every now and then a few poops will come out at once, seems to be peeing every couple hours too from what I can tell.
I’m hoping it’s the buprenorphine that’s doing this after reading some posts here about buprenorphine making their piggies like zombies for 24hrs-a few days. I’m 99% sure he was given that with his surgery. This morning from 2am-6am when I was doing his syringe feeds he did actually seek out a few cucumber bites both times which is the most he’s been doing since he got back. He got .15ml of buprenorphine a couple hours ago and I’m concerned the effects of buprenorphine are just too harsh for him and put him back to square one. Impossible to tell :( Hoping to hear back from his surgeon soon so I can ask because it’s so hard not to worry about his recovery! Especially when feeding critical care seems quite difficult. Was hoping to hear back before his last critical care feeding so I could nap, lots of sleepless nights!

Buprenorphine is an opioid. It will be working well as a pain killer but opioids tend to really knock piggies out and cause loss of appetite. The metoclopramide he is on is a gut motility drug so should be countering any possible slowing of the guts due to the buprenorphine. The damage/inflamation caused by the stone will take several days to heal so for now will still be causing pain, which is normal.
When Arthur had his stone removed last year he still cried when weeing for a few days post op despite being on metacam. He was just on metacam tho, not any opioids so was otherwise very much his usual self. Hopefully by now you have been able to speak to your vet and discuss how best to proceed with regard to pain medication.

Buprenorphine could be causing the catatonic state you’re seeing, personally I try to avoid it wherever possible and use a combination of metacam, gabapentin and tramadol instead. I just dont find buprenorphine to be very productive, as my experience with it is that the piggies don’t really move or even eat, or if they do eat, they chew a few times and then they’re out of it again - it gives a “the lights are on but no one is home” vibe. I’m personally just not a fan, especially since the ideal scenario is a piggy eating normally for themselves.
One of mine had two stones removed in two different ops, he recovered from both pretty fast and was back to his normal self within about a day or two, you should expect any pain symptoms to be gone at about the five or six day mark. If you’re still seeing pain symptoms at that point, there could be something else happening. So for example, after his first op he still had pain after the 5/6 day mark and there turned out to be a second stone. After the second op, he was pain free at the 5/6 day mark and was perfectly back to normal - though, a third stone eventually formed about 7 weeks later.
Do you have any emeprid? It’s a gut stimulant and is good to give for a week or two post a surgery like this.

That
Buprenorphine could be causing the catatonic state you’re seeing, personally I try to avoid it wherever possible and use a combination of metacam, gabapentin and tramadol instead. I just dont find buprenorphine to be very productive, as my experience with it is that the piggies don’t really move or even eat, or if they do eat, they chew a few times and then they’re out of it again - it gives a “the lights are on but no one is home” vibe. I’m personally just not a fan, especially since the ideal scenario is a piggy eating normally for themselves.
One of mine had two stones removed in two different ops, he recovered from both pretty fast and was back to his normal self within about a day or two, you should expect any pain symptoms to be gone at about the five or six day mark. If you’re still seeing pain symptoms at that point, there could be something else happening. So for example, after his first op he still had pain after the 5/6 day mark and there turned out to be a second stone. After the second op, he was pain free at the 5/6 day mark and was perfectly back to normal - though, a third stone eventually formed about 7 weeks later.
Do you have any emeprid? It’s a gut stimulant and is good to give for a week or two post a surgery like th
Do you have any emeprid? It’s a gut stimulant and is good to give for a week or two post a surgery like this.
Buprenorphine is an opioid. It will be working well as a pain killer but opioids tend to really knock piggies out and cause loss of appetite. The metoclopramide he is on is a gut motility drug so should be countering any possible slowing of the guts due to the buprenorphine. The damage/inflamation caused by the stone will take several days to heal so for now will still be causing pain, which is normal.
When Arthur had his stone removed last year he still cried when weeing for a few days post op despite being on metacam. He was just on metacam tho, not any opioids so was otherwise very much his usual self. Hopefully by now you have been able to speak to your vet and discuss how best to proceed with regard to pain medication.
He’s going back to the vet tomorrow to get checked out! Feel terrible it’s another 4 hour round trip for him but it’s for the best just incase, didn’t mean to quote a reply 3 times idk how I did that 😭

Hopefully that’s it! I really do feel like he wasn’t THIS bad before it since he was picking at cucumber and tiny bits of hay when prompted occasionally until today. I have no emeprid but I do have a metaclopramide injection the vet said to go ahead and give him. He’s going back to get checked tomorrow by the surgeon who did it so hopefully it’s all good and Buprenorphine is just really disagreeing with him

I hope it is the Buprenorphine. I have had several piggies who have reacted strongly to it and other's have been fine. Good luck at the vets tomorrow.

This might be a silly question but is he getting critical care if I don’t feel him chew? I’m putting the syringe sideways and in as far as until I feel molars and doing .1-.3mls and then stopping. He sometimes chews but other times doesn’t seem to? He hasn’t pooped in hours :( I can see his teeth move sometimes but not others basically. He’s not spitting up much when I push it further back so I assume he has to be swallowing? Again possibly a silly question but I’m really struggling not to worry.He’s yanking his head back and fighting a bit for some syringes of it though, was hoping that’s a positive sign

This might be a silly question but is he getting critical care if I don’t feel him chew? I’m putting the syringe sideways and in as far as until I feel molars and doing .1-.3mls and then stopping. He sometimes chews but other times doesn’t seem to? He hasn’t pooped in hours :( I can see his teeth move sometimes but not others basically. He’s not spitting up much when I push it further back so I assume he has to be swallowing? Again possibly a silly question but I’m really struggling not to worry.He’s yanking his head back and fighting a bit for some syringes of it though, was hoping that’s a positive sign
Just to add it’s watery critical care, trying to hydrate him aswell as feed him without bothering him as much as possible

Don't give it to him if he's not swallowing it but if it's not coming back out of his mouth he must be swallowing? Normally they would chew it before they swallow, but I don't know what to think if he's not chewing. I'm syringe feeding a boar at the moment who chews and chews and chews, when he stops I go towards him with the syringe and the little monkey starts chewing again, he knows I won't put more in his mouth if he's chewing!
I'm not a health expert hopefully someone will be along for you soon.
@Pound Shilling & Pig @Siikibam were on here earlier.

Don't give it to him if he's not swallowing it but if it's not coming back out of his mouth he must be swallowing? Normally they would chew it before they swallow, but I don't know what to think if he's not chewing. I'm syringe feeding a boar at the moment who chews and chews and chews, when he stops I go towards him with the syringe and the little monkey starts chewing again, he knows I won't put more in his mouth if he's chewing!
I'm not a health expert hopefully someone will be along for you soon.
@Pound Shilling & Pig @Siikibam were on here earlier.
Yeah I’m confused where it could be going if he’s not swallowing so I’m assuming he is? Especially because at some bites he is chewing. But because he’s so catatonic it’s so difficult to tell, but I’m worried if I stop the syringe feeding then it makes the gut situation even worse. Last time I saw poops was around 3pm :( And he had a second gut stimulant at 10pm and haven’t seen anything so far. Trying not to be negative but the lack of poop especially is seriously worrying me and his vet appointment is 12pm

Still waiting on a response from his surgeon but he’s so catatonic and not eating at all. Seems like he’s not swallowing or chewing properly either, so getting critical care in is harder than usual and he’s spitting out some of it. Poor thing is just lying with his hair fluffed up looking completely zoned out. His poops aren’t consistent but every now and then a few poops will come out at once, seems to be peeing every couple hours too from what I can tell.
I’m hoping it’s the buprenorphine that’s doing this after reading some posts here about buprenorphine making their piggies like zombies for 24hrs-a few days. I’m 99% sure he was given that with his surgery. This morning from 2am-6am when I was doing his syringe feeds he did actually seek out a few cucumber bites both times which is the most he’s been doing since he got back. He got .15ml of buprenorphine a couple hours ago and I’m concerned the effects of buprenorphine are just too harsh for him and put him back to square one. Impossible to tell :( Hoping to hear back from his surgeon soon so I can ask because it’s so hard not to worry about his recovery! Especially when feeding critical care seems quite difficult. Was hoping to hear back before his last critical care feeding so I could nap, lots of sleepless nights!
I hope your boy starts to improve.
Yeah I’m confused where it could be going if he’s not swallowing so I’m assuming he is? Especially because at some bites he is chewing. But because he’s so catatonic it’s so difficult to tell, but I’m worried if I stop the syringe feeding then it makes the gut situation even worse. Last time I saw poops was around 3pm :( And he had a second gut stimulant at 10pm and haven’t seen anything so far. Trying not to be negative but the lack of poop especially is seriously worrying me and his vet appointment is 12pm
My girl just held it in her mouth. She wouldn't swallow.

I hope you see some poop soon. I can understand you being worried but don't forget the out put is a day or two behind the input and he will have missed a lot of food on the day of the op. You are doing all anyone can at the moment with syringe feeding and giving him meds. I'm off now to syringe feed mine and then to try and get some sleep before starting again in the morning. We have poops but few and very small!

I hope your piggy and you are doing well! I know how exhausting syringe feeding can be for both us and the pigs. I’ve been syringe feeding Bobby every couple of hours for days now so my sleep is a trainwreck but he’s worth ever moment even if he’s miserable being syringe fed and absolutely hates me right now. Bobby’s poops were few and all bizarre shapes earlier today but then stopped so I do hope they continue again!

As above - there is a delay with poop output anyway and this is why it isn’t a reliable source of information. Weighing him daily is the only way to know he is getting enough food.

Yeah I understand about the poop output, would this delayed output still apply if he’s been given Metoclopramide twice todwy or gut stimulants in general? I’m just worried he hadn’t been getting enough critical care the day of his operation or after! And he may have been spitting up more than I thought. I seem to have got a lot into him today even though it just seems like he isn’t even swallowing it but since 90% of it isn’t coming out of his mouth I have to assume he is. :(
I tried to weigh him but I have a small kitchen scales that’s been so inaccurate today for some reason? Usually I can get a fairly accurate reading plus or minus 50 grams but today apparently no matter what way I sat him on a surface onto the scales he was 1.8kg 😑 When he was weighed at the vets the other day he was 1.15kg down from usually 1.2kg

Back