• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig refusing solids

ughabbie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my girl moose has been pretty beat down with a URI, she’s been on baytril and metacam since thursday and i’m seeing a huge improvement. However she stopped eating solids due to this and i’ve been syringe feeding her Emeraid and Pro c. At first she was reluctant to feed but the antibiotics are helping her now and she’s got a massive appetite.

She’s gnawing at the syringe and chewing on cardboard and paper when she’s out and about but she’s still refusing to eat anything solid at all. Is this normal?

To preface, she only stopped eating when she came down with the URI and before that she was munching away on everything, so i don’t think it could be dental?

I’m sorry to hear she is unwell.

When they can’t breathe due to a respiratory infection, it’s rather common for them to stop wanting to eat - the need to breathe comes first and piggies can’t breathe through their mouths very well so eating becomes a challenge.

Make sure you have switched from the routine weekly weight checks and ensure that you are weighing her daily each morning to ensure that she is being fed enough to maintain her weight.
Continue syringe feeding until she is feeling better and starts to eat hay for herself again

I hope she is ok

Weight and Weight Loss Explained: BMI, Weighing, Poos and Feeding Support

I am no expert but hopefully one will be on soon. However I am sure that they will recommend to start weighing your girl every morning as this is the only way to make sure that they are eating enough and maintaining their weight it should be done at the same time each morning for consistency. They will probably also ask whether her teeth were checked at the appointment however if you're saying that this has only happened once she has started her medications some medicines can affect their appetite 💙

When they can’t breathe due to a respiratory infection, it’s rather common for them to stop wanting to eat - the need to breathe comes first and piggies can’t breathe through their mouths very well so eating becomes a challenge.

Make sure you have switched from the routine weekly weight checks and ensure that you are weighing her daily each morning to ensure that she is being fed enough to maintain her weight.
Continue syringe feeding until she is feeling better and starts to eat hay for herself again

I hope she is ok

Thank you, she’s doing much better now since the antibiotics kicked in! I’ll stay syringe feeding her. She seems to be maintaining weight so far when i’ve been weighing in morning (only a gram or two of fluctuation). Keeping hopes up and she has a follow up appointment in vet on Tuesday next week.

I am no expert but hopefully one will be on soon. However I am sure that they will recommend to start weighing your girl every morning as this is the only way to make sure that they are eating enough and maintaining their weight it should be done at the same time each morning for consistency. They will probably also ask whether her teeth were checked at the appointment however if you're saying that this has only happened once she has started her medications some medicines can affect their appetite 💙
Thank you! Definitely going to ask the vet to check her back molars when we go back for appointment next week, just to be sure ❤️

Yes you might as well ask, also not sure if it's been mentioed but guinea probiotics can help when using certain medication but do check with an expert ☑️

Yes you might as well ask, also not sure if it's been mentioed but guinea probiotics can help when using certain medication but do check with an expert ☑️

The original post did say that pro-c is being given so that is a probiotic

I hope she is ok

moose had her eye removed today, all went smoothly and she’s munching some coriander as i type this. Vet checked her teeth and there was nothing wrong! it was actually a pad of fat behind her eye that was causing intense discomfort.

It can be very emotional our Cookie had to have his eye removed we were so upset but he has coped so well. Sending get well soon wishes 💐

Back