• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Poop

ilovepeggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So around a week ago these were my Guinea pigs poop & someone had said it’s because she’s not eating enough hay, my Guinea pig has also lost weight not much but some but I been feeding her mushed pellets in the syringe. What do these poops mean?
I also was giving some Pedialyte since she would barely drink any water but she seems to be drinking enough water on its own now

First photo is from today, second photo is from a week ago

Attachments

• EF3B79B8-F978-47D9-B39F-3988D5EF1763.webp
    EF3B79B8-F978-47D9-B39F-3988D5EF1763.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 64
  • E3CBC0F9-8148-4EA5-A2D3-C19321585AD3.webp
    E3CBC0F9-8148-4EA5-A2D3-C19321585AD3.webp
    125.4 KB · Views: 51
Sorry to hear that your piggy is unwell, and I'm not sure I can help. But I just want to let you know that I can't see any photos. Maybe retry attaching photos to your post.

Yes, thank you for re-posting.
To me they don't look to bad, but the fact that the piggy has lost weight and that you have to syringe feed it mushed pellets certainly doesn't sound good at all. I'm sorry to say that I can't help. 🙁

It’s okay! I mean the situation isn’t the fact that you replied means a lot to me. I think she is doing way better though, & soon I’ll probably stop syringe feeding her since she’s Almost to her normal weight again.

I'm so glad to hear she's getting better! 😊
Hopefully someone who knows a little more about guinea pig health can help you.

Have you been weighing her every day?
What is happening at each daily weight check - is she maintaining her weight, gaining weight etc on the previous day.
If her weight is stable and she is not losing any, then you can ease off the syringe feeding. Continue to weigh daily for a while to ensure she doesnt lose weight once you stop syringe feeding.

Hey sorry, I haven’t weighed her a few days.
Does anyone know what these poops mean?

Attachments

• 623E3015-90C8-409B-A49A-88C19FF3EA26.webp
    623E3015-90C8-409B-A49A-88C19FF3EA26.webp
    118.9 KB · Views: 29
I just weighed her now, this is what pops up.
On the 20th I weighed her she was 1351 grams, on the 21st she was 1340 grams. On the 24th she was 1335 grams.

Attachments

• E3082B5F-3A5C-4DB2-BC60-A62F2E1447A7.webp
    E3082B5F-3A5C-4DB2-BC60-A62F2E1447A7.webp
    119.8 KB · Views: 27
I just weighed her now, this is what pops up.
On the 20th I weighed her she was 1351 grams, on the 21st she was 1340 grams. On the 24th she was 1335 grams.
I’ve been feeding her 40ml a day, should I be giving her more?

You need to ensure that you weigh her at the same time each day (morning best before you start the topup etc). Her weight seems to be on a downward trend so I would try and get 60ml into her. Perhaps you could also put a bowl in the cage with her? Weighing daily is important in helping you have a better idea of how to adjust the top ups.

I’d also consider taking her off veg in the meantime. The poo picture you posted is ever so slightly pointed, indicating a possibly mild gut disturbance. Keep her off until at least 24 hours after her poo is back to normal. If it’s happened previously (pointy poo) I’d think about having her checked over by the vet. When it happens repeatedly it should be investigated.

I haven’t been giving her veggies for about 2 weeks now, she’s only been eating grass & the mush. Also she spills whatever I put into her bowl.

What is it you are putting in her bowl? If it is just her normal dry pellets (not pellet mush), then spilling them isn’t necessary a problem, it could be considered normal foraging behaviour - a lot of us don’t even use food bowls and instead just throw veg and pellets into big piles of loose hay.

Between 20 and 31 August, she is only 17g down. That on its own is not considered weight loss.
However, if she continually goes down day and day and loses more than 50g then she requires more syringe feeding and to see a vet.

Weight - Monitoring and Management

Well she used to never spill her pellets because that is what I used to put in her bowl, but this changed once I changed the pellets I was giving her because I couldn’t find the brand I usually give to her & she would eat the pellets but spilled them so I don’t know why that started happening out of nowhere when she never did it before.

I’m also going to the vet soon because she’s getting her nails trimmed, I can asked them how much she weighed the last time she came. Because I know it was 3 pounds & something ounces I just don’t remember. I will also ask about the poop when I go also. Should I take samples?

Spilling her pellets is not something of concern from a health point of view.
Because you were feeding her a muesli, she was previously used to selective feeding. If you are now still picking out just the pellets and only giving just those to her she is probably just looking for the unhealthy bits

Her weight at the last vet visit is not really relevant now as it was so long ago (you said the last visit was on 5 July) to be of any real use, although it will tell you if she is on a downward trend over a longer time period. Your checks at home are the important ones as they are done more regularly and are up to date.
I’ve added in the weight management guide as it details when things become concerning.

You can take a fresh poop in to show them if you like.
Fewer or smaller poops than normal suggest a reduced hay intake. Pointy or odd shaped poops suggest some digestive upset. We have given the information needed to deal with that including in your previous thread - daily weight checks and syringe feed for the former, taking off veg and probiotics for the latter. Vet check for all.

Hi, the pellet spilling might just be her nosing around in the bowl looking for the previous pellets if she liked them! I actually use two types of pellets just to give my piggies a bit of variety.
She is a hefty weight but it's true that if she loses a little bit day on day it can build up. My first thought on seeing the poops was mild gut disturbance - remove veggies - which you did. If she's been gobbling down 40ml of syringe food without resisting she's obviously still got her appetite! I bet she's still been eating on her own too. I'm not sure about Pedialyte - it's not something I've ever used. Their metabolism is different to ours. If I've wanted to encourage a bit of extra drinking I either make the pellet slurry very thin or use a tiny splash of apple juice in mainly water just to give it some interest - and I use a very small 1ml syringe so piggy doesn't accidentally inhale the fluid. If you get the all-clear to reintroduce veggies just do a little at a time at first.

If piggy is living as a pair or group she might be trying to get her healthy companion's poops to help her stomach settle. But if she is a lone piggy you might find a little probiotic helps to repopulate her gut. There is something called Fibreplex which comes in a big plastic syringe and we use this when we have a pig on antibiotics to try and help maintain the gut at this challenging time. Or we get a powder called Bio-Lapis from my vet to mix into the food slurry. They do prefer company though.

My fat fluffy girl Louise has quite variable poops. She had a bout of bloat in April which luckily resolved OK - she's been the first of my pigs to ever get this problem (and I've had 15 now altogether!) so I watch her carefully. It was actually triggered by a glut of fresh spring grass... all 3 were eating it but only Louise had a problem. They are usually pretty normal but there are bouts where they are a slightly funny shape or have little tails on. It doesn't seem to bother her but I just think she's a pig who was bred for her looks and perhaps that gives her a more sensitive stomach. Here's a pic - she's the one in the box - she loves her box. And yes, she's even got fat eyes!
fat eyes!.webp

Hi, the pellet spilling might just be her nosing around in the bowl looking for the previous pellets if she liked them! I actually use two types of pellets just to give my piggies a bit of variety.
She is a hefty weight but it's true that if she loses a little bit day on day it can build up. My first thought on seeing the poops was mild gut disturbance - remove veggies - which you did. If she's been gobbling down 40ml of syringe food without resisting she's obviously still got her appetite! I bet she's still been eating on her own too. I'm not sure about Pedialyte - it's not something I've ever used. Their metabolism is different to ours. If I've wanted to encourage a bit of extra drinking I either make the pellet slurry very thin or use a tiny splash of apple juice in mainly water just to give it some interest - and I use a very small 1ml syringe so piggy doesn't accidentally inhale the fluid. If you get the all-clear to reintroduce veggies just do a little at a time at first.

If piggy is living as a pair or group she might be trying to get her healthy companion's poops to help her stomach settle. But if she is a lone piggy you might find a little probiotic helps to repopulate her gut. There is something called Fibreplex which comes in a big plastic syringe and we use this when we have a pig on antibiotics to try and help maintain the gut at this challenging time. Or we get a powder called Bio-Lapis from my vet to mix into the food slurry. They do prefer company though.

My fat fluffy girl Louise has quite variable poops. She had a bout of bloat in April which luckily resolved OK - she's been the first of my pigs to ever get this problem (and I've had 15 now altogether!) so I watch her carefully. It was actually triggered by a glut of fresh spring grass... all 3 were eating it but only Louise had a problem. They are usually pretty normal but there are bouts where they are a slightly funny shape or have little tails on. It doesn't seem to bother her but I just think she's a pig who was bred for her looks and perhaps that gives her a more sensitive stomach. Here's a pic - she's the one in the box - she loves her box. And yes, she's even got fat eyes!
View attachment 210297
Aww thanks so much for this, she’s so cute!

This is my Peggy

Attachments

• 39EB0BC0-07B2-443E-AD61-6FF2E2DC3385.webp
    39EB0BC0-07B2-443E-AD61-6FF2E2DC3385.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 40
Peggy’s not doing too well. I noticed her in pain when I touched her tummy & well she has number 2,3,4 I don’t know about 5 because I noticed on Saturday night she was shaking a bit, I’ve noticed her bending a lot towards her tummy area but I didn’t see any
sore patches, she does bar bite but it’s usually because I’m feeding her or she thinks it’s time for feed.
Signs of Pain in Guinea Pigs - Guinea Pig Magazine

If you think she is unwell, then all we can suggest is that you take her to a vet. I hope she is ok

Yeah all the vets right now are closed due to Labor Day, & I wish I could take her, yes I can but I don’t have the money to afford it, I’ve already tried talking to them about payment plans but none of them budge. I don’t qualify for care-credit.

Is there really no one you could ask to help you with the bill? Perhaps your boyfriend or a friend? We can’t advise anything other than a vet trip if you’re worried about your piggy.

Otherwise, as may have been mentioned, if you can’t provide for her needs then would you consider surrendering her to a rescue?

I have a question, so you know I’ve been researching & trying to figure things out. So Peggy’s poop are abnormal & I was concerned with her poops because they are mushy but they aren’t leaving any residue, & well they don’t smell unless I sniff them because her cage doesn’t stink & I don’t pickup any bad smells unless I’m sniffing the poop, is that normal or?

I have a question, so you know I’ve been researching & trying to figure things out. So Peggy’s poop are abnormal & I was concerned with her poops because they are mushy but they aren’t leaving any residue, & well they don’t smell unless I sniff them because her cage doesn’t stink & I don’t pickup any bad smells unless I’m sniffing the poop, is that normal or?

I’m sorry but we can’t know what is going on. If she has soft poops then you need to follow the digestive upset advice we have already given. Taking a piggy off fresh food for a couple of days is usually enough to cure a mild digestive upset but if she is still unwell all these weeks later than there may be something more going on and vet care is needed. We can only advise you to see a vet.

I'm so sorry but we just can't say what's going on with little Peggy x
It's not that we have any suspicions but won't say - it's just that we really have no idea. At the lowest level of trouble, intermittent soft poops can indicate a bit of an upset tummy and cutting out veg for a day or two until everything firms up is how to approach it. A bit more long term could be dealt with by giving a regular non-prescription probiotic like fibreplex or benebac - some posters seem to have piggies that need these every day to try and keep their guts stable, although personally I'd still like to know what the cause could be. Runny diarrhoea is obviously a serious emergency that only a vet can tackle. But soft poops, on and off, for a number of weeks could be an indication of all sorts of things and some might not even be gut related - they might be a side effect of hormonal problems for instance, from ovarian cysts. Only a vet exam will be able to rule things out.
If Peggy seems OK in herself and is not losing any weight or showing signs of pain it's just a matter of dealing with her symptoms until you can save enough for the vet. Soft-poop piggies can sometimes get it stuck to their feet leading to sores and breaks in the skin - or sometimes it can accumulate at the back end so it's important to keep her clean. But if she's losing weight or showing signs of pain like flinching, hunching, grinding teeth as she sits, or nibbling patches of her own fur (self-barbering) a vet visit is recommended before things get any worse because even if they can't find the cause they can give you pain relief like meloxicam to help her be more comfortable. Take Care Peggy, and your loving owner too 💕

okay so I do have benebac, how much do I give her? & how do I give it to her? She doesn’t go to the vet until Friday

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 20
okay so I do have benebac, how much do I give her? & how do I give it to her? She doesn’t go to the vet until Friday

It’s great you’ve been able to get a vet appointment.

The instructions should tell you how much and how to administer - they are all different. We don’t tend to use benebac in this country it’s more of a US product it seems.
Probiotics are usually given a few times a day.

Back