• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Losing Weight On Baytril

GiznYogi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boar had a couple of spots of blood in his urine so I took him to the vets. She advised I give him Baytril 0.25ml twice a day. He had been eating and drinking perfectly well but since starting these meds he's now hardly eating anything except a little hay, leaving his greens and nuggets almost completely. He's hardly urinated at all and his poos have become small and shrivelled up. His weight in 2 days has dropped 40g. Should I stop the antibiotics? Does he sound intolerance to them? I bought a probiotic additive to put in his water after reading some info on here. I added it yesterday but I don't think he's drank anything yet. Thinking I could syringe feed him some after his next does of antibiotic? Any advice gratefully received!

Sorry to hear this.

I would get back to the vet and ask about switching to septrin. Baytril can be a little harsh on the gut with some piggies. I would suggest syringing feeding him the pro biotic carefully. Which one is it? The poo output is decreasing because of the fact he is eating less. Please get back to the vet ASAP, i would also ask for some emeprid which is a gut stimuliant to help get the guts moving again

We have a vet locator here Guinea Pig Vet Locator
How long has he been on the AB? Has the blood stopped?

Sorry to hear this.

I would get back to the vet and ask about switching to septrin. Baytril can be a little harsh on the gut with some piggies. I would suggest syringing feeding him the pro biotic carefully. Which one is it? The poo output is decreasing because of the fact he is eating less. Please get back to the vet ASAP, i would also ask for some emeprid which is a gut stimuliant to help get the guts moving again

We have a vet locator here Guinea Pig Vet Locator
How long has he been on the AB? Has the blood stopped?

He's only been on the AB since Thursday evening. He is still eating hay and chewing on cardboard tubes. He is still pooing and urinating but smaller amounts than normal. His appetite has definitely reduced but he is still eating. There's been no more blood since thursday morning.

He's only been on the AB since Thursday evening. He is still eating hay and chewing on cardboard tubes. He is still pooing and urinating but smaller amounts than normal. His appetite has definitely reduced but he is still eating. There's been no more blood since thursday morning.
Oh and the probiotic is called Pro-C probiotic from pets at home

My boar had a couple of spots of blood in his urine so I took him to the vets. She advised I give him Baytril 0.25ml twice a day. He had been eating and drinking perfectly well but since starting these meds he's now hardly eating anything except a little hay, leaving his greens and nuggets almost completely. He's hardly urinated at all and his poos have become small and shrivelled up. His weight in 2 days has dropped 40g. Should I stop the antibiotics? Does he sound intolerance to them? I bought a probiotic additive to put in his water after reading some info on here. I added it yesterday but I don't think he's drank anything yet. Thinking I could syringe feed him some after his next does of antibiotic? Any advice gratefully received!

Hi! The daily weight variance between a full tummy and bladder and an empty can be 40g; in itself it is not worrying. You can offer additional syringe feed if you wish to, but only as much as he wants.

Baytril is an appetite dampener as it is the antibiotic that impacts most strongly on the gut bacteria, but we talk of intolerance only when an antibiotic (and it can happen with any of them) causes total loss of appetite. The problem will disappear again as soon as the course of antibiotid is over and the weight will come back again once the full appetite returns. Please do not stop with the antibiotic course.

Oh and the probiotic is called Pro-C probiotic from pets at home

Piggies whose gut bacteria is impacted like very rough fibre to help to rebalance their guts. You can give a 1 pinch of probiotic either 1 hours before the antibiotic (US recommendation) or 1-2 hours after the antibiotic (UK recommendation). Either way is OK and any probiotic is OK, too. Alternatively you can syringe 'poo soup' made by soaking fresh poos from a healthy piggy in water and then syringing the water. This contains all the right stuff, too.

Ok thank you both for your advice. I'll see how his appetite is today. The course is for 20 days which seems very long? Can I stop it earlier?

So Gizmo hasn’t had a wee today and he’s just about stopped pooing too. All he’s eating is a bit of hay, no nuggets n no greens. I’m getting quite concerned. Is this still a normal response to Baytril cos I’m thinking of stopping giving him it, given he was eating absolutely fine before I started this course of AB!

I would phone your vet and ask for advise before stopping the course of antibiotics
I’ve just weighed him again and he must be still eating cos his weight has stayed the same at 1180g. He’s done a couple of poos and a small wee now.

I’ve just weighed him again and he must be still eating cos his weight has stayed the same at 1180g. He’s done a couple of poos and a small wee now.
Help! Gizmo hasn’t had a single poo in 24 hours now. What should I do. I’ve not given him his Baytril as I’m too worried that’s what’s caused this to happen. He hasn’t lost any weight, but then if he can’t go to the toilet then I guess that means nothing.

Hi! The daily weight variance between a full tummy and bladder and an empty can be 40g; in itself it is not worrying. You can offer additional syringe feed if you wish to, but only as much as he wants.

Baytril is an appetite dampener as it is the antibiotic that impacts most strongly on the gut bacteria, but we talk of intolerance only when an antibiotic (and it can happen with any of them) causes total loss of appetite. The problem will disappear again as soon as the course of antibiotid is over and the weight will come back again once the full appetite returns. Please do not stop with the antibiotic course.
Sorry to bother you again but Gizmo still hasn’t left a poo in his cage in over 24 hours. He has done some that he’s eaten but nothing in is cage. I’ve stopped his AB and I’ve been syringe feeding him probiotic liquid. He’s eating hay and chewing on wood and had a couple of nuggets that I’ve wet 1st. Should I be worried? Do I need to take him back to the vet or will his metabolism kick in again now he’s off the AB?! Grateful for any advice!

It does sound a bit worrying, if you're sure he hasn't done any poos at all other than the ones he's eaten. Are you weighing him daily so you know if he is eating enough? You possibly need to start syringe feeding him ( the mushed up pellets if you don't have any critical care etc), as well as syringing in the water with probiotic, to ensure he is getting enough food.
@Wiebke , do you think he needs to see the vet again, it doesn't sound like gut stasis if he's producing poos that he then eats, or am I wrong there?

Sorry to bother you again but Gizmo still hasn’t left a poo in his cage in over 24 hours. He has done some that he’s eaten but nothing in is cage. I’ve stopped his AB and I’ve been syringe feeding him probiotic liquid. He’s eating hay and chewing on wood and had a couple of nuggets that I’ve wet 1st. Should I be worried? Do I need to take him back to the vet or will his metabolism kick in again now he’s off the AB?! Grateful for any advice!

Please continue with his AB and syringe feed more; the poo output reflects what has gone in 1-2 days before, but as your boy is still eating on his own, he is not critical. A guinea pig that has not eaten or drunk at all in 24 hours is losing about 100g in that space of time and will look very lethargic.

Be aware that the AB is being given for a potentially fatal issue. If you are unhappy, then contact the vet and talk about alternatives to baytril, but never take a piggy off them without consultation.

Please continue with his AB and syringe feed more; the poo output reflects what has gone in 1-2 days before, but as your boy is still eating on his own, he is not critical. A guinea pig that has not eaten or drunk at all in 24 hours is losing about 100g in that space of time and will look very lethargic.

Be aware that the AB is being given for a potentially fatal issue. If you are unhappy, then contact the vet and talk about alternatives to baytril, but never take a piggy off them without consultation.
I feel like the vet just prescribed the AB without checking what the cause was. He was eating, drinking, pooing fine with just a few spots of blood in his urine until he started the AB course. Since I’ve stopped the AB he is eating again and much more interested in food, he’s urinated earlier but left absolute no poos anywhere. How long is it before it’s dangerous for him not to produce any poos?

I feel like the vet just prescribed the AB without checking what the cause was. He was eating, drinking, pooing fine with just a few spots of blood in his urine until he started the AB course. Since I’ve stopped the AB he is eating again and much more interested in food, he’s urinated earlier but left absolute no poos anywhere. How long is it before it’s dangerous for him not to produce any poos?
Ok I’ve just checked his cage and found about 5 mini poos next to his hay!

Guinea pigs don't suffer from constipation. As long as your boy is eating and drinking on his own and is not lethargic, there is no reason to worry; the guts are still working even though there may not be much in the way of poos.
That is going to pick up in the degree your boy's appetite is picking up, just about 1-2 days later as you have to allow for everything to be processed twice. ;)

If there is indication of a urine infection (URI), cystititis (inflammation of the bladder walls) or bladder stones, please ask your vet for septrin/sulfatrim (UK)/Bactrim (US); especially when symptoms return.
It is not licensed (only baytril is), but widely accepted and used for guinea pigs. it is generally not quite as hard on the digestive system as baytril although there can be an adverse reacion to any antibiotic.

Guinea pigs don't suffer from constipation. As long as your boy is eating and drinking on his own and is not lethargic, there is no reason to worry; the guts are still working even though there may not be much in the way of poos.
That is going to pick up in the degree your boy's appetite is picking up, just about 1-2 days later as you have to allow for everything to be processed twice. ;)

If there is indication of a urine infection (URI), cystititis (inflammation of the bladder walls) or bladder stones, please ask your vet for septrin/sulfatrim (UK)/Bactrim (US); especially when symptoms return.
It is not licensed (only baytril is), but widely accepted and used for guinea pigs. it is generally not quite as hard on the digestive system as baytril although there can be an adverse reacion to any antibiotic.

Yeah his food intake definitely reduced Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it’s only really picked up a little today, so I’m guessing his poos will be small for at least another day or 2. He’s not back to normal at all but I’m just hoping he’s over the worst of it. Fingers crossed!

Hi again. I checked on Gizmo at 3.30am, no poo but some clear urine, and just checked him again now, still no poo. He’s eating hay but not much else. He’s still off his greens. He’s also staying in his bedroom much more than normal. His weight is normal at 1180g. Is it possible he’s eating all his poos?! Shall I ring the vet again?!

Hi again. I checked on Gizmo at 3.30am, no poo but some clear urine, and just checked him again now, still no poo. He’s eating hay but not much else. He’s still off his greens. He’s also staying in his bedroom much more than normal. His weight is normal at 1180g. Is it possible he’s eating all his poos?! Shall I ring the vet again?!

Please contact the vet to check his bowel movements. As long as he is nibbling, he is not in full GI stasis, so please do not panic.

I would however recommend to start with syringe feeding and watering now. Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

A186FD60-AF8E-4C3F-9238-2519A38C4B70.webp DBA4E611-4E2C-4E69-A1D3-7C43D3B14281.webp DBA4E611-4E2C-4E69-A1D3-7C43D3B14281.webp A186FD60-AF8E-4C3F-9238-2519A38C4B70.webp DBA4E611-4E2C-4E69-A1D3-7C43D3B14281.webp DBA4E611-4E2C-4E69-A1D3-7C43D3B14281.webp A186FD60-AF8E-4C3F-9238-2519A38C4B70.webp

After hand feeding him some liquid probiotic this morning this happened! I’m over the moon!
Please contact the vet to check his bowel movements. As long as he is nibbling, he is not in full GI stasis, so please do not panic.

I would however recommend to start with syringe feeding and watering now. Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Hi again!
Took Gizmo to the vets this morning. He’d done quite a few normal looking poos just before I took him and he ate hay in his carrier on the way there. Vet checked him out, felt him all over and weighed him and said he could see/feel nothing wrong with him. He said as he’s not shown any more blood in his urine there was no need to put him back on the AB as they’d either worked already or were unnecessary at the moment. He even advised me to stop hand syringing him probiotics and leave him to drink by himself as he was eating, albeit not a lot. He’s been quiet all morning but the vet seemed unconcerned about that and said he’d continue to improve during the day, now he was pooing again. I’m happy to follow his advice for now. He’s still 1180g. Thank you for your advice Wiebke!

View attachment 80638 View attachment 80637 View attachment 80637 View attachment 80638 View attachment 80637 View attachment 80637 View attachment 80638
After hand feeding him some liquid probiotic this morning this happened! I’m over the moon!

Hi again!
Took Gizmo to the vets this morning. He’d done quite a few normal looking poos just before I took him and he ate hay in his carrier on the way there. Vet checked him out, felt him all over and weighed him and said he could see/feel nothing wrong with him. He said as he’s not shown any more blood in his urine there was no need to put him back on the AB as they’d either worked already or were unnecessary at the moment. He even advised me to stop hand syringing him probiotics and leave him to drink by himself as he was eating, albeit not a lot. He’s been quiet all morning but the vet seemed unconcerned about that and said he’d continue to improve during the day, now he was pooing again. I’m happy to follow his advice for now. He’s still 1180g. Thank you for your advice Wiebke!

Hi! Those poos are about par for a piggy on baytril - they are a little bit on the soft side and the appetite is slightly dampened. If you notice a loss in weight/appetite that is more than 50g, please start offering him extra recovery food syringe (not probiotics - more fibre to help firm up and bulk out the poos!), as much as he wants to take on his own in a pigy that is on supplementary and not critical feed.

Appetite and as a result of that, any lost weight will return once the course of antibiotics is over. If not, a course of fibreplex usually does the trick.

Please take a deep breath - poos do not come regularly all the time, but as long as a piggy is still actively nibbling on food and is still turning up at mealtimes, it means that there is no blockage and that the guts are still working (i.e. no GI stasis), if sometimes more slowly. The daily weigh-in on the scales will tell you how much a piggy is eating on its own - eyes can lie and the hay intake cannot be controlled.
The outtake can be an indication how well the guts are working, but it is more critical that a guinea pig has still got interest in food because that means that it is not yet in critical danger of total loss of appetite/gut stasis. If a guinea pig can now longer pass or process food, it will stop eating.

As long as you do not have to deal with diarrhoea (i.e. runny poos), the digestion is also not yet critical. Soft poos are unpleasant, but as long as they only as squishy as looking like cow pads, you can remedy that by syringing extra fibre; ideally taking the piggy off fresh veg for a couple of days in stronger cases. This does not yet class as diarrhoea, just as a mild tummy upset.

The size of poos indicates the food intake at that time (1-2 days before) - the smaller and slimmer, the less has gone in.

Hi! Those poos are about par for a piggy on baytril - they are a little bit on the soft side and the appetite is slightly dampened. If you notice a loss in weight/appetite that is more than 50g, please start offering him extra recovery food syringe (not probiotics - more fibre to help firm up and bulk out the poos!), as much as he wants to take on his own in a pigy that is on supplementary and not critical feed.

Appetite and as a result of that, any lost weight will return once the course of antibiotics is over. If not, a course of fibreplex usually does the trick.

Please take a deep breath - poos do not come regularly all the time, but as long as a piggy is still actively nibbling on food and is still turning up at mealtimes, it means that there is no blockage and that the guts are still working (i.e. no GI stasis), if sometimes more slowly. The daily weigh-in on the scales will tell you how much a piggy is eating on its own - eyes can lie and the hay intake cannot be controlled.
The outtake can be an indication how well the guts are working, but it is more critical that a guinea pig has still got interest in food because that means that it is not yet in critical danger of total loss of appetite/gut stasis. If a guinea pig can now longer pass or process food, it will stop eating.

As long as you do not have to deal with diarrhoea (i.e. runny poos), the digestion is also not yet critical. Soft poos are unpleasant, but as long as they only as squishy as looking like cow pads, you can remedy that by syringing extra fibre; ideally taking the piggy off fresh veg for a couple of days in stronger cases. This does not yet class as diarrhoea, just as a mild tummy upset.

The size of poos indicates the food intake at that time (1-2 days before) - the smaller and slimmer, the less has gone in.
Hi once again. Gizmo is now pooping absolutely fine but his wees are very dark brown. He’s not eating nuggets at all and very little greens, he’s literally just eating hay. Should I still be worried?!

Hi once again. Gizmo is now pooping absolutely fine but his wees are very dark brown. He’s not eating nuggets at all and very little greens, he’s literally just eating hay. Should I still be worried?!
And since he started pooping normal today his weight has dropped 60g!

And since he started pooping normal today his weight has dropped 60g!

Please step in with syringe feeding. Don't worry about the pee colour. Eating hay is the main thing, but you can never say how much just from looking. His poos reflect what has happened before; his weight reflects how much he is eating now. ;)

Please step in with syringe feeding. Don't worry about the pee colour. Eating hay is the main thing, but you can never say how much just from looking. His poos reflect what has happened before; his weight reflects how much he is eating now. ;)
I’ve booked him in with the vets again tomorrow morning. He’s just not himself at all. Just sitting in his bedroom. He eats hay if I put it in there with him but he won’t come out for any food. I’ve syringed some more probiotic water into him again tonight. He is doing loads of poops but he’s not eating anything like what he should be. Maybe he’s got a bladder stone?

I’ve booked him in with the vets again tomorrow morning. He’s just not himself at all. Just sitting in his bedroom. He eats hay if I put it in there with him but he won’t come out for any food. I’ve syringed some more probiotic water into him again tonight. He is doing loads of poops but he’s not eating anything like what he should be. Maybe he’s got a bladder stone?

Hi! If he is losing weight, you don't syringe water with probiotics in, you syringe fibre with probiotics in! Add some probiotic to some mushed up pellets or better some powdered Emeraid or Critical Care if you wish, but it is the fibre in the guts that is keeping the weight up and provides the energy/calories/nutrients he needs!
Water with or without probiotics does not keep a piggy going that is not eating enough, simple as that!

You can ask for a scan or x-ray for a bladder stone if you are worried or ask your vet whether swithcing to another antibiotic might help.

Hi! If he is losing weight, you don't syringe water with probiotics in, you syringe fibre with probiotics in! Add some probiotic to some mushed up pellets or better some powdered Emeraid or Critical Care if you wish, but it is the fibre in the guts that is keeping the weight up and provides the energy/calories/nutrients he needs!
Water with or without probiotics does not keep a piggy going that is not eating enough, simple as that!

You can ask for a scan or x-ray for a bladder stone if you are worried or ask your vet whether swithcing to another antibiotic might help.
Thank you for the advice Wiebke. Took Gizmo to the vets at 8am. Vet weighed him and according to his scales he’d only lost 40g (down from 1180g to 1140g. He checked him over looking at hydration lumps, bumps etc and said he was lively and very healthy with no issues at all that he could see. He put the weight loss down to the reaction to the AB he was on and said the mountain of poops yesterday and the dark wee was also due to this. Put him back in his living quarters (half my living room!) and he was straight on to his greens. Vet also said it’s nothjng to worry about that he’s not eating his nuggets yet as he’s eating a lot of hay and probably needs that right now to continue settling his stomach. I feel much happier now and I’ll sleep better tonight knowing he’s on the mend!

Just to keep you up to date. Gizmo is now back eating his nuggets again. I’ll see what his toilet habits are tonight. I’m still worried he might have a bladder stone as I can’t see any other reason why he’d have spots of blood in his urine last week. Also, he just made a strange noise in his bedroom although I’ve no idea if he was trying to go to the toilet or not. His urine is still very dark brown. I’m thinking I should buy some urine test strips?

Hi again Wiebke. Gizmo seems back to normal with his eating habits but his urine was pink tinged again this morning. Ive taken him to the vets 3 times now so I know if I go back they'll say exactly the same as last time that he looks and feels perfectly healthy, so I've ordered some urine testing strips on line and i'll test him myself for blood/calcium etc.I've bought some unsweetened cranberry juice too.

Back