• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig infection and drooling

You’ve said that the infection is a fungus now, so is this a bacterial infection or a fungal infection? They are different and require different treatments.

What is she eating for herself? Is it hay? Drinking carrot juice is not a good thing to give to her nor is it a food - it won’t sustain her and keep her guts working. She should drink water
What food have you managed to be able to syringe feed to her as I know you were struggling yesterday to get the right thing - she needs a hay based recovery food

And again, what is the medicine she is being given?

I am going to ask our moderators to merge this post with your other thread so all the information is in one place (@Wiebke @VickiA). Please keep any updates to the same thread so we have all the information in one place as it makes if a lot easier for us to help you

You’ve said that the infection is a fungus now, so is this a bacterial infection or a fungal infection? They are different and require different treatments.

What is she eating for herself? Is it hay? Drinking carrot juice is not a good thing to give to her nor is it a food - it won’t sustain her and keep her guts working. She should drink water
What food have you managed to be able to syringe feed to her as I know you were struggling yesterday to get the right thing - she needs a hay based recovery food

I am going to ask our moderators to merge this post with your other thread so all the information is in one place (@Wiebke @VickiA). Please keep any updates to the same thread so we have all the information in one place as it makes if a lot easier for us to help you
It is a bacterial infection. Her upper layer of skin has become dry because of scratching. Hay right now is too hard for her to chew. Yes she's drinking water. Syringe food involves - broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber. The medicine is - INTRAFUNGOL.

Sure I'll keep all the updates at the same thread😅

It is a bacterial infection. Her upper layer of skin has become dry because of scratching. Hay right now is too hard for her to chew. Yes she's drinking water. Syringe food involves - broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber. The medicine is - INTRAFUNGOL.

Ok, that is not the right type of food to be syringing to her. She needs a fibre based recovery food. Can you order some online? If isn’t eating hay, then I’m afraid she isn’t eating for herself.

Intrafungol will treat a fungal infection. Fungus is not bacteria.

Ok, that is not the right type of food to be syringing to her. She needs a fibre based recovery food. Can you order some online? If isn’t eating hay, then I’m afraid she isn’t eating for herself.

Intrafungol will treat a fungal infection. Fungus is not bacteria.

Okay I'll order the food online, please suggest me some?

It depends what you can get in your country but we can get a product called Oxbow Critical Care to syringe feed to poorly piggies.

Okay I'll order the food online, please suggest me some?

Oxbow is a brand that is internationally available. You may find it when googling to 'oxbow critical care'.

Please select the pieces in your muesli mix that will soften in water to form a paste in order to feed her until a better product arrives. Hay fibre should be 80% of what a guinea pig eats in a day; it is crucial for keeping the teeth ground down and the gut stable, as well as for long term health and a longer life. Your little piggy needs as much fibre as she can get while she is not eating. Too much veg/veg juice will sooner or later cause problems in the digestive system.

Guinea pigs have developed in the grass lands in South America; they eat mostly fresh and dry grass (hay) and supplement that diet with some forage (herbs like coriander and mint will do that for you; as well a little lettuce etc. ) and only rarely come across some fresh fruit. Carrots for them is like eating a bar of chocolate.

Oxbow is a brand that is internationally available. You may find it when googling to 'oxbow critical care'.

Please select the pieces in your muesli mix that will soften in water to form a paste in order to feed her until a better product arrives. Hay fibre should be 80% of what a guinea pig eats in a day; it is crucial for keeping the teeth ground down and the gut stable, as well as for long term health and a longer life. Your little piggy needs as much fibre as she can get while she is not eating. Too much veg/veg juice will sooner or later cause problems in the digestive system.

Guinea pigs have developed in the grass lands in South America; they eat mostly fresh and dry grass (hay) and supplement that diet with some forage (herbs like coriander and mint will do that for you; as well a little lettuce etc. ) and only rarely come across some fresh fruit. Carrots for them is like eating a bar of chocolate.
Ordered the food. I've tried to give her hay but it seems really hard for her to chew so I syringe feeded her with carrot , broccoli and cucumber juice separately. Is broccoli, tomatoes and cucumber okay? bcz she's eating these foods only. Other than this she's willing to eat coriander leaves and carrot leaves.

Ordered the food. I've tried to give her hay but it seems really hard for her to chew so I syringe feeded her with carrot , broccoli and cucumber juice separately. Is broccoli, tomatoes and cucumber okay? bcz she's eating these foods only. Other than this she's willing to eat coriander leaves and carrot leaves.

Vegetables never make up the main food for a guinea pig. Their main food always has to be hay/grass. So exclusively feeding her on veg will not give her what she needs as as wiebke has explained above, it will compromise her digestive system if she doesn’t get hay every day.

If she can’t chew then there is something wrong inside her mouth

Vegetables never make up the main food for a guinea pig. Their main food always has to be hay/grass. So exclusively feeding her on veg will not give her what she needs as as wiebke has explained above, it will compromise her digestive system if she doesn’t get hay every day.
Oh okay.

What are mueslis? Are they oats like?

It’s food you put a picture of on yesterday - the thing you call cookies - it’s a muesli mix. Muesli mixes are not suitable to give to piggies as a long term food (plain pellets is the best type and piggies can have one tablespoon per day of this), but it is all you’ve got for now. Use some of the bits which will soften in water to syringe feed, as wiebke has suggested. Use that to syringe to her until the critical care arrives

If she can’t chew then there is something wrong inside her mouth
I had the same doubt that something is wrong inside her mouth so i asked the vet to check inside her mouth and he showed me but her mouth is all fine. Her lower jaw might be paining because of scratching.

It’s food you put a picture of on yesterday - the thing you call cookies - it’s a muesli mix. Muesli mixes are not suitable to give to piggies as a long term food (plain pellets is the best type and piggies can have one tablespoon per day of this), but it is all you’ve got for now. Use some of the bits which will soften in water to syringe feed, as wiebke has suggested. Use that to syringe to her until the critical care arrives
Oh we call it guinea pig cookies here. I got it. I'll give it to her soaked in warm water.

Oh we call it guinea pig cookies here. I got it. I'll give it to her soaked in warm water.

You will have to mush it up into a paste so that it goes through a syringe.
Once the critical care arrives, stop giving her the muesli and syringe the critical care instead

Make sure you weigh her every day as it is the only way you will know if she is getting enough food. If she loses weight, then she isn’t eating/being syringe fed enough.
She really needs to start eating hay for herself though as soon as she can, so do ensure she always has some available to her and can try to eat it as she feels like it. Not eating hay will cause overgrown teeth which will stop a guinea pig from being able to eat so it really is important that she has it

Last edited:
I agree re the hay. Buy some for her and put it in anyway. If you can you should add some pepper (not the hot ones) to her diet. A slice a day. If she’s not eating hay then she’s likely not getting enough vitamin c.

Back