• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig help needed ! *READ PLEASE *

• Thread starter Thread starter daz94
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please remember it's the parents responsibility to take the pets to the vets daz94 is only 12 and it's not there fault the parents won't take her. He/she has rang 3 times theres not much else a 12 year old can do it's the parents fault for buying a pet they were not planning on taking to the vets :(

But sorry swapping your pet for another, it isn't a pair of shoes you can just get rid of and buy more when your bored with the old pets it's a bloody animal for gods sake. Your giunea pigs sound like the type that will end up on free ads when your bored so you can get new ones ::)

kezza30 said:
Please remember it's the parents responsibility to take the pets to the vets daz94 is only 12 and it's not there fault the parents won't take her. He/she has rang 3 times theres not much else a 12 year old can do it's the parents fault for buying a pet they were not planning on taking to the vets :(

But sorry swapping your pet for another, it isn't a pair of shoes you can just get rid of and buy more when your bored with the old pets it's a bloody animal for gods sake. Your giunea pigs sound like the type that will end up on free ads when your bored so you can get new ones ::)

I understand what you are saying about being 12 but at the end of the day, the only one which will be suffering is the poor guinea pig. If Daz cannot provide the care for the guinea pig, then the best thing that he could do is surrender the guinea pig to a rescue or someone who could help. If Daz is considering "swapping" the guinea pig for a healthier one, what will happen when the new guinea pig becomes illl.. the same medical treatment will be denied then. If Daz really does care about his guinea pigs, then he should know that if he or his parents will deny medical treatment for an animal, then they really should not have any at all.

Does this particular branch of PAH have a vet surgery? If so, then PAH is definitely the best place for this little piggy.

Sounds silly, but are you sure the pig isn't just nervous and scared?

I agree with others, though - if your mum won't ever take pigs to the vet, there really is no point in getting another one.

squeakypigs said:
Firstly, stop calling people who are trying to help you names. If you continue, you will be suspended from the forum.

Secondly, your mum is out riding her horse... if your family can afford to buy a horse then why can't you afford to take a sick animal to the vet. Can I just say that it is a crime to neglect animal treatment. When you got your guinea pigs, you have taken on the reponsibility of their overall care... if you couldn't care for a guinea pig, then you really should NOT have got them.

Thirdly, swapping guinea pigs... thats ridiculous however I think it would be a good idea to take him back the pet store as I am sure they would do more to help the guinea pig than you are clearly doing. If you do take him back, I would seriously hope you would not be getting another.

i totally agree!!

Righty,My mum went to pets at home and saw a guinea pig rescue person.And she said if she is making noise with her nose when she breaths in,She has a infection called hypotham? or something like that.With it been friday the lady told my mum to take her to the vest tomoz as today it would cost LOADS.

So tomorrow shes off to vets and hopefully she'll be fine,

she told us to give her some milk and bread? 98)

hopefully she will be fine, i cant believe your parents wouldnt take her to the vet, i know if one of my chinchillas were ill i would cry if my parents wouldnt take them to the vet...

I work at a vets and we are NOT charging more to see animals today. We are closing a little earlier but apart from that every thing is the same. You are best to ring round and find out which vets are open.

my daughtrer is 11 and she would rightly demand I take any animal we own to the vet NOW, some of you know my daughter and know that she adores our pets,as I do, I did also wonder if the pig is not just afraid of you becasue reading some of your posting like I'm going to give it bath and take it back for a better one I think I would be afraid, animals do pick up on things us stupid humans do and say of that I'm sure and tell your horse loving mum she is commiting a crime by not getting it help when needed NOW as Mary said vets wont be charging more today then tomorrow, my vets number is on speed dial thats how quick I am to call them, please if you intend keeping such sweet animals put a bit of effort and love into it, I do realise how young you are sweetheart but to us on this forum not getting immediate help or advice ( you could have rung the vets for advice) is cruel , in the mean time give you pig some cucumber and maybe melon if you have any they have a high water content, any poig who is thirsty kjnows how to get water I've had 3 day old babies reach for the water bottle, they instinctivley know unless something is wrong then that just proves vets help is needed, and if my daughter called some of these wonderful friends on here names she would be in bed by now, please have a little respect they are trying to help and knowing how young you are makes it difficult as you are beholden to your parents ;)

michellemuffin said:
my daughtrer is 11 and she would rightly demand I take any animal we own to the vet NOW, some of you know my daughter and know that she adores our pets,as I do, I did also wonder if the pig is not just afraid of you becasue reading some of your posting like I'm going to give it bath and take it back for a better one I think I would be afraid, animals do pick up on things us stupid humans do and say of that I'm sure and tell your horse loving mum she is commiting a crime by not getting it help when needed NOW as Mary said vets wont be charging more today then tomorrow, my vets number is on speed dial thats how quick I am to call them, please if you intend keeping such sweet animals put a bit of effort and love into it, I do realise how young you are sweetheart but to us on this forum not getting immediate help or advice ( you could have rung the vets for advice) is cruel , in the mean time give you pig some cucumber and maybe melon if you have any they have a high water content, any poig who is thirsty kjnows how to get water I've had 3 day old babies reach for the water bottle, they instinctivley know unless something is wrong then that just proves vets help is needed, and if my daughter called some of these wonderful friends on here names she would be in bed by now, please have a little respect they are trying to help and knowing how young you are makes it difficult as you are beholden to your parents ;)

i no its ill and all but if i called a vet out it would cost us 61 pound without her looking at the thing.

Toffe has come inside for the night to warm up.Shes off to the vets early as possible tomorrow morning.

I checked on her a hour ago and her heart rate had slowed down with in my veiw was good.

Bring on saturday!

Hey Daz where do you live? there may be someone here that is close by & able to take a look.

I don't think that meeting someone from the internet is a good idea as a minor, BUT if there is someone 'in the know' near by & with your mothers permission then it might just save this little pigs life..........

Any suggestions?

hils78 said:
Hey Daz where do you live? there may be someone here that is close by & able to take a look.

I don't think that meeting someone from the internet is a good idea as a minor, BUT if there is someone 'in the know' near by & with your mothers permission then it might just save this little pigs life..........

Any suggestions?

i think shes oki her heart rate has slowen down shes eating and i put my hand round here and shes nice and warm.Hopefully she can make it too tomorrow then we'll get her sorted!

Hopefully she will be ok. Please consider someone helping out in your area with your piggy.

People here on the forum will to anything to help and assist you :)

Hope things go well at the vets tomorrow. Do you have an appointment?

kellyandpiggies said:
Hopefully she will be ok. Please consider someone helping out in your area with your piggy.

People here on the forum will to anything to help and assist you :)

Hope things go well at the vets tomorrow. Do you have an appointment?

Mum rang up and it was a machine so Were ringing first thing tomorrow !

Thanks for all the support guys I've been in tears for most parts of the day!

where abouts are you? PM if you want.
I guess you don't want to say and that's understandable.

I'm in Warwickshire if that helps?

ALL p@h stores give free vet care with every animal for 14days I think it is.

yes Daz I'm in Nottinghamshire but am willing to drive to help you. I am a mum too & would be more than willing to send a nice email to your mum offering help if you really can't get the pig into the vet tomorrow. I will possibly be going down to the south coast next week too.

:o I'm shocked and upset by this post...

GUINEA PIGS DIE WITHIN 3 DAYS WITHOUT WATER!! Get some water into her, and stop faffing about saying she will get it herself!

Toffe has come inside for the night to warm up.Shes off to the vets early as possible tomorrow morning.

Does this mean that they are living outside? If you only purchased them a week ago they would have gone from living in a warm shop to almost freezing temperatures outside at night. If your guinea pig has hypothermia (which I am guessing is what you are trying to say but more likely its pnumonia) then this will almost certainly be why. Guinea pigs should be kept somewhere warm, at the very least a shed or garage whilst the weather is still cold.

Please consider letting someone help you.

Everyone is lovely on this forum, and will always do everything they can to help

I agree with you but we must take on board this is a child we are talking to and as a mum to a 11 year old daughter ( who would never be in this position becasue her mum would move heaven and earth to get the pig seen) we must keep a cool head my heart says one thing but my head says another in this case, and as she has said she has been crying, not what I would want a child of mine to be going through, fingers crossed her pig will be given the all clear tomorrow remember this is a an inexperienced child here who may just have made the simple error that the pig is scared and nervous, I must admit that is what I am hoping, dont forget sweetheart give the pig some cucumber which should help, and please let us know what happens tomorrow, make sure you go or else this lot of wonderful pig lovers will go mad, ;)

Guinea-Tia-Flossie said:
:o I'm shocked and upset by this post...

GUINEA PIGS DIE WITHIN 3 DAYS WITHOUT WATER!! Get some water into her, and stop faffing about saying she will get it herself!
lol@ faffing,but youre right sadly :(

daz94 said:
Thanks for all the support guys I've been in tears for most parts of the day!

So sorry to hear that. Really hoping that tomorrow brings better news.

I'm shocked that you want to replace your piggy. I wouldn't EVER swap my piggies. They each are so different in personality and loving, how can you just fix that by "swapping" a pig for a "new" one? They're not property, you know, they're family!

michellemuffin said:
I agree with you but we must take on board this is a child we are talking to and as a mum to a 11 year old daughter ( who would never be in this position becasue her mum would move heaven and earth to get the pig seen) we must keep a cool head my heart says one thing but my head says another in this case, and as she has said she has been crying, not what I would want a child of mine to be going through, fingers crossed her pig will be given the all clear tomorrow remember this is a an inexperienced child here who may just have made the simple error that the pig is scared and nervous, I must admit that is what I am hoping, dont forget sweetheart give the pig some cucumber which should help, and please let us know what happens tomorrow, make sure you go or else this lot of wonderful pig lovers will go mad, ;)
I think you said it exactly right. Daz, get that piggy to the vet then let us know what happened.

Kimmie

Alexandra said:
I'm shocked that you want to replace your piggy. I wouldn't EVER swap my piggies. They each are so different in personality and loving, how can you just fix that by "swapping" a pig for a "new" one? They're not property, you know, they're family!

its like swapping every one thats got something wrong with it until you try and get a perfect one,i would never swap any of mine,they come with problems and i sort them and theyre grateful in a way to us for doing that

Sehnsucht said:
Alexandra said:

its like swapping every one thats got something wrong with it until you try and get a perfect one,i would never swap any of mine,they come with problems and i sort them and theyre grateful in a way to us for doing that

Ditto O0 :smitten: when i think about what i've spent on just Duke :o :o and he's been worth every single cent god love him :smitten: :smitten:

Hope that everything goes well, and dont replace the guinea pig, If she wont drink then you can hold her and then try and help her.

I dont know if anyone has said this but critical care is good for chinchillas that wont eat, is it good for guinea pigs?

rachx said:
Hope that everything goes well, and dont replace the guinea pig, If she wont drink then you can hold her and then try and help her.

I dont know if anyone has said this but critical care is good for chinchillas that wont eat, is it good for guinea pigs?

yup it is ;)

So if i ever got a pair of guinea pigs then they would already have a supply of critical care as i have some for the chinchillas, just in case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back