• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig health scare

Also cucumber is very good for keeping them hydrated if he likes that x

He usually loves cucumber so I’ve been offering it to him the last few days and I keep catching him munching on something from his veg bowl so I think his veg interest is definitely increasing! He even took 3 pea flakes off me earlier after turning his nose up at them for days. What’s been really sweet as well is that during all this his baby cagemate has been really quiet and curled up with him while he’s been at his worst- and today he’s started bouncing round with his baby energy again 🥰 I’ve taken it as a sign he thinks Bunsen is well enough that he’s letting himself have some fun rather than looking after him!

Update: day 3 of emeprid and antibiotics and day 5 of fibreplex and today he weighs 17g more than he did on Saturday and held his weight from yesterday with only 5g of syringe feed (powder weight not reconstituted) yesterday morning! With the vets guidance I am not syringe feeding him today as his appetite for hay seems to be almost normal now and he is definitely increasing his veg intake! His eyes and nose are considerably less crusty, his eyes aren’t sunken anymore and the spark seems to be back behind them. He fought off his mid day medication syringes with near normal Bunsen-like gusto! I am cautiously optimistic that we are on the other side of this journey now and that he will continue to improve as the days go on 🎉

Fantastic news, so glad he's feeling a bit better and has got his appetite back!
Absolutely make a complaint about that vet too 😯

I have written a comprehensive letter to the practice he was seen at to highlight their failings and emphasise the damage they could have done to him if I had followed their advice and to strongly urge them to remove the fact that they treat guinea pigs from their website as I researched and chose them in good faith believing them to be a cavvy savvy vet only for them to tell me they have hardly any guinea pigs on their books and they basically never see them in the practice. That comment was the final straw for me because how can you expect to remember a species in enough detail if you never experience them? And how can you call yourself a cavy savvy vet if this is the case?

I have written a comprehensive letter to the practice he was seen at to highlight their failings and emphasise the damage they could have done to him if I had followed their advice and to strongly urge them to remove the fact that they treat guinea pigs from their website as I researched and chose them in good faith believing them to be a cavvy savvy vet only for them to tell me they have hardly any guinea pigs on their books and they basically never see them in the practice. That comment was the final straw for me because how can you expect to remember a species in enough detail if you never experience them? And how can you call yourself a cavy savvy vet if this is the case?
How ridiculous. They should at least know the basics or they should turn pigs away! They're very much doing more harm than good 🙁

Final update to say that his new vet is very happy with his progress and has tentatively discharged him with a few more days of meds and strict instructions to not hesitate to call if he regresses or shows signs of discomfort as we wean him down. Thank you all for the support! Attaching a few recent snaps of the two new besties as a thank you for listening to my worries, and just because they’re adorable and I want to share them with the world 🥰 (Also including a grumpy Bunsen after being at the vet and getting covered in fluorescene because he looks so silly)

Attachments

• IMG_2492.webp
    IMG_2492.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2495.webp
    IMG_2495.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2494.webp
    IMG_2494.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2484.webp
    IMG_2484.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2469.webp
    IMG_2469.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 1
That's wonderful we love a happy update and always appreciate photos of adorable guineas. Well done all of you and take care 💙

Back