• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Gosh I'm so sorry for your experiences. And well done for fighting for her after your big shock and getting a vet appointment. I must say that sometimes Moms and Dads can be far too indulgent allowing siblings to pass pigs around and will have a go at the 'owner' for not sharing - it can feel easier that way. But these little animals aren't toys and accidents happen all the time (we see the sad results on here). I'll tell you, those parents who've had the shock of a sudden vet bill will find themselves suddenly tougher than they ever thought enforcing those rules!

Let your parents know that they wouldn't be getting a second pig for you - it would be for her. Pigs need the company of their own kind if you really want to see their full range of behaviour. They want someone to talk to and have fun with... they are a herd animal and a prey animal so they don't want to be alone because they are frightened all the time. I know that they are sold as lone pigs over there in the US - over here UK shops/rescues and even breeders will insist on at least two of the same sex... if you are the look out for one you have to be able to prove you have a companion at home. In countries like Switzerland it's actually illegal to keep just one of them! 'In the wild' a lone pig would be a lost pig (and easy pickings for predators) or even the last pig because all the others had been eaten. No wonder they get scared! What you have there is a very brave little girl x

Personally our pigs were only handled by the kids at floor level. I didn't let them sit on the couch or go into the beds. I've kept various piggies for about 10 years and even ones that know you well will make a sudden blind jump if they panic. Their eyesight isn't great so they don't realise how far they have to go. Putting them back into their enclosure can actually be the greatest time of risk as they smell they are nearly home. But it's a wonderful thing to sit comfortably with a piggy that could easily choose to climb down and walk away... but chooses to stay 💕

Good luck and I really hope things go well. We are all learning all the time x

Luckily, they’ve finally agreed to take her to the vet. They thought I was overreacting and just hyper-fixated, because, the last month or so, I’ve been really set on giving more care to my guinea pig about getting her fleece lining, cleaning her cage much more often, giving her toys and more hay, along with veggies for breakfast and dinner, and with getting her a cagemate. My parents and my boyfriend all thought I was just obsessing over her, and claiming that, “She’s given enough attention with us! We care for that pig every day and the first thing your brothers and you do when you get home from school is say hi to her.” Or they say. “Stop watching those youtube videos, they just want your money. Peaches will be fine, she doesn’t need another cage mate.” No matter how much I beg and plead. But finally, they said that I will be getting another pig at the end of the school year (2 weeks) if I get good grades and don’t fail. My parents have always enforced rules, but unfortunately, my brothers aren’t the great at listening. The brother that dropped the guinea pig is autistic, but he’s very kind and
calm with Peaches, and so is everyone else. It was an accident, but it will never happen again. The most I am allowing them to take her is into the living room and on the couch. No more going upstairs with her UNLESS it is me or my parents. I hate that I had to learn it this way, and I really hope her vet visit goes well today.. I could barely sleep last night from the fear of losing her. She means the world to me and my family.

Honestly, I probably should mention I’ve had her since November, but I didn’t know too much about guinea pigs. Around December, we bought her a midwest cage which was an upgrade from the awful pet store ones. She has always been shy but we take good care of her, and in all of the months we’ve had her, she hasn’t been like this. I’ve only recently (Last 3-4 months) been knowledgeable on guinea pigs! I feel awful about it, but I’ve been now taking proper care of her.

Hi

On here we are not judgmental. The fact that you are asking for help means that you care and it is this constructive help that we try to provide. It is totally normal that you are supset and feel bad and guilty about; and another sign of how deeply you care.

What we try to help you with is ensuring that your piggy is getting the medical and appropriate support home care she needs and that you are able to turn this into one of these adult life stumbles that you get back up from somewhat wiser and able to take something positive from; adult life is full of them - and those stumbles are what you are growing as a human most from, not from never putting a foot wrong.
We don't judge people about what has happened before they have come on here and don't play any immature blame games (you are doing that already with yourself anyway, as any responsible owner would); we just help you from the point you join us with whatever support you and your piggy need.

Freak accidents do unfortunately happen; you can never brace for the kind of situations like these and therefore never prevent them. Guinea pigs are prey animals and they can freak easily. She is just currently very shocked and upset; and not surprisingly - you would as well if you had a bad fall.
Just be patient, use our piggy whispering tips to tell her in her own language that you love her and she will eventually come round again once she starts feeling better in herself. Be patient. All is not lost! Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

If you want to learn more about guinea pigs and how to care for them, then you will find our practical advice and information collection very helpful; it is one of the most comprehensive currently around. You can find all the links in this thread in it. The guides give you the little how-to tips and in-depth information that we cannot write out fully in every single post since we are all doing this for free in our own free time. Please take the time to read them; you will find them very helpful. ;)
Please bookmark this link, browse, read and re-read at need, as you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience. It also means that you have information at hand during our down-time as were running about 5-6 hours hours ahead of you here in the UK; since we have members and enquiries from quite literally all over the world, the information collection helps to give instant access in case of an emergency or an urgent problem at any time of day: Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

The doctor said she was super healthy! Only thing wrong was a vitamin c deficiency. Shes as healthy as can be. She weighs just over 800 grams. She was diagnosed as a healthy pet!
Brilliant no broken bones, that’s good to hear, yeah they can’t produce their own vitamin c so green veggies, peppers etc will help with that, how she been since you got home?

Brilliant no broken bones, that’s good to hear, yeah they can’t produce their own vitamin c so green veggies, peppers etc will help with that, how she been since you got home?

We haven’t even gotten home yet. We got her for an earlier appt and now I’m on my way back to school. She is on my lap and purring oh so happily

Thank you everyone for helping me, and I wish you all the best! Peaches would like to say: “Thanks for helping my momma convince grandmama to take me to the vet! I feel better than ever now, and I’m acting just like myself again.”

What symptoms of vit c deficiency is she showing?
Vit c is in all veggies, their pellets are fortified with vit c and it is also in hay. Vit c deficiency is not common and not something which comes up on forum at all often, when they are fed a healthy balanced diet.

What symptoms of vit c deficiency is she showing?
Vit c is in all veggies, their pellets are fortified with vit c and it is also in hay. Vit c deficiency is not common and not something which comes up on forum at all often, when they are fed a healthy balanced diet.

She doesn’t like peppers, so I’m not able to give her enough vitamin c. Thats what tthe doctor said

She doesn’t like peppers, so I’m not able to give her enough vitamin c. Thats what tthe doctor said

There is vit c in every veg, so it really doesn’t matter if she doesn’t eat pepper. if she is eating a good variety of other veggies then she will be getting plenty of vit c, plus it is in pellets.

What veg do you feed her?
What symptoms of scurvy is she showing?

There is vit c in every veg, so it really doesn’t matter if she doesn’t eat pepper. if she is eating a good variety of other veggies then she will be getting plenty of vit c, plus it is in pellets.

What veg do you feed her?
What symptoms of scurvy is she showing?

I probably said it wrong, so heres what vet said:

“Just need to increase her Vitamin C intake… and she may be having some hormonal mood swings… but other then that, she’s doing well”

Have you tried herbs, fresh grass, Savoy cabbage, romaine lettuce, ?

Have you tried herbs, fresh grass, Savoy cabbage, romaine lettuce, ?
Her veggies consist of Kale, Cilantro, Romaine lettuce, and carrots. They recommended I feed her oranges every now and then, though, because of some of her poops.

Her veggies consist of Kale, Cilantro, Romaine lettuce, and carrots. They recommended I feed her oranges every now and then, though, because of some of her poops.
Spinach broccoli parsley coriander just trying to help

Kale and carrot should not feature regularly at all. Kale is too high in calcium and in too large a quantity can contribute to bladder stone formation. Its recommended only a small amount of kale is given and only given once a week. Carrot is too high in sugar and should only be once small chunk and no more than once a week. If should be considered as a very occasional treat.

What is the matter with her poops that the vet thinks oranges should be given? Fruit does not need to be in the diet and won’t help any problems her poops at all.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Kale and carrot should not feature regularly at all. Kale is too high in calcium and in too large a quantity can contribute to bladder stone formation. Its recommended a small amount of kale and only given once a week. Carrot is too high in sugar and should only be once small chunk and no more than once a week.

What is the matter with her poops that the vet thinks oranges should be given? Fruit does not need to be in the diet and won’t help any problems her poops at all.

Ah. I’ll restrict carrots and kale from now on.
I’m saying everything wrong, lol. I messaged my mom and she sent me the page, which explained that he just wanted to increase her vitamin C as it seemed low, but other than that, she was in perfectly good health.

Ah. I’ll restrict carrots and kale from now on.
I’m saying everything wrong, lol. I messaged my mom and she sent me the page, which explained that he just wanted to increase her vitamin C as it seemed low, but other than that, she was in perfectly good health.

Ive added In two links in my last reply - they are our feeding guides. They can help ensure you get a good balance of nutrients to ensure she has a good diet. A piggy on a good balanced diet will not have any vit c problems.

Coriander is a good source of vitamin c as well, and can be fed daily - 1 or 2 sprigs. Has she refused all colours of bell pepper? How long did you try offering it to her before stopping? The other thing is that sometimes they are unsure what to eat if they aren’t with an adult to ‘show them the way’ so to speak.

Glad she was okay following the fall and no serious injuries. Always better to err on the side of caution and take them to be checked. ☺️

In the UK we tend to only supplement with vitC for poorly pigs who are not eating properly. For instance one of mine was on syringe support food for a while and couldn't eat anything else so I added it to the slurry. It seems to be pretty common in the States for vets to tell people to add it to the drinking water. This is one way NOT to do it if you do choose to add extra vitC... we don't want to discourage them from drinking fresh water. One of mine doesn't like Bell pepper much - she will eat a little bit of the green one - she doesn't really do anything sweet - but I don't worry about her because she eats a range of other veg and gets fresh grass too. She's doing just fine and has a nice shiny coat - although she's a bit fat!

Since I joined the forum I learned the reason people worry if pigs are supplemented with high doses of vitC their bodies can get used to it. Then any fall in that level - even back to a normal balanced diet - can bring on symptoms or vitC deficiency that wouldn't have otherwise happened - weird huh. But short term supplementation for poorly pigs is something we generally do.

It's really great news that she's doing so well! I would have thought that your parents and boyfriend would be happy you're so into her. She's interesting! I bet if you told them they were too into football, cars, or beer (or whatever they're into!) they might see what you mean. On this forum we're all into guinea pigs 😍

Coriander is a good source of vitamin c as well, and can be fed daily - 1 or 2 sprigs. Has she refused all colours of bell pepper? How long did you try offering it to her before stopping? The other thing is that sometimes they are unsure what to eat if they aren’t with an adult to ‘show them the way’ so to speak.

Glad she was okay following the fall and no serious injuries. Always better to err on the side of caution and take them to be checked. ☺️

Shes refused red and green, and I’ve tried offering them by putting them in her cage, and i wait an hour or so and see if shes eaten it yet.

In the UK we tend to only supplement with vitC for poorly pigs who are not eating properly. For instance one of mine was on syringe support food for a while and couldn't eat anything else so I added it to the slurry. It seems to be pretty common in the States for vets to tell people to add it to the drinking water. This is one way NOT to do it if you do choose to add extra vitC... we don't want to discourage them from drinking fresh water. One of mine doesn't like Bell pepper much - she will eat a little bit of the green one - she doesn't really do anything sweet - but I don't worry about her because she eats a range of other veg and gets fresh grass too. She's doing just fine and has a nice shiny coat - although she's a bit fat!

Since I joined the forum I learned the reason people worry if pigs are supplemented with high doses of vitC their bodies can get used to it. Then any fall in that level - even back to a normal balanced diet - can bring on symptoms or vitC deficiency that wouldn't have otherwise happened - weird huh. But short term supplementation for poorly pigs is something we generally do.

It's really great news that she's doing so well! I would have thought that your parents and boyfriend would be happy you're so into her. She's interesting! I bet if you told them they were too into football, cars, or beer (or whatever they're into!) they might see what you mean. On this forum we're all into guinea pigs 😍
My boyfriend isn’t against guinea pigs, hes just worried I'm just overreacting and super hyper fixated, then again, that happens when you have adhd and anxiety, lol. He actually wants to get one of his own, but of course, I told him he should try to get 2.

We've got quite few husbands and partners on here who are converts. It is easy to get fixated because they're so sweet but if a piggy is dropped from a height and survives then taking her to a vet isn't overreacting. He can join the forum too... there is a New and Wannabes section!

Sometimes it's just seeing things from a different point of view. My mum has always had cats and it's usual here to get your cat neutered/spayed (if you're responsible) and let it go out and about as it wants. When my friend got a 'house cat' I didn't understand what she meant! And I have free ranging pigs in my kitchen so I don't have any dogs visiting but quite a few of my dog-keeping friends were amazed that they were expected to leave pooch at home if they visited. Guinea pigs here, like other small furries, are often considered a child's pet but I know grown women and men who have house rabbits and all sorts bouncing around!

We've got quite few husbands and partners on here who are converts. It is easy to get fixated because they're so sweet but if a piggy is dropped from a height and survives then taking her to a vet isn't overreacting. He can join the forum too... there is a New and Wannabes section!

Sometimes it's just seeing things from a different point of view. My mum has always had cats and it's usual here to get your cat neutered/spayed (if you're responsible) and let it go out and about as it wants. When my friend got a 'house cat' I didn't understand what she meant! And I have free ranging pigs in my kitchen so I don't have any dogs visiting but quite a few of my dog-keeping friends were amazed that they were expected to leave pooch at home if they visited. Guinea pigs here, like other small furries, are often considered a child's pet but I know grown women and men who have house rabbits and all sorts bouncing around!
I already told my boyfriend we’re getting whole herds of piggies, and that while I’ll be gone fighting fires for a living, he better be loving them! 💪💪

I would keep putting it in everyday and hope she will eventually eat it. But if she eats coriander (and lots of hay/grass) then that’s good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back