• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 149618

Hi. My guinea pig was dropped from about 10 feet due to the mishandling of my brothers. She isn’t showing too many signs of injury, but is rather, not pooping, eating hay, or drinking water. I’ve been able to feed her lettuce but thats it. And lately, she’s been very aggressive towards me and will bite me and make very loud squeals if I pet her. Please help, I really don’t want to lose my piggy. :(

Sorry to hear about the incident, they can be quite scared and wriggly, I’d get your little one checked over, they fragile creatures, it’s takes time to be trusted by piggies, hope all is ok

Sorry to hear about the incident, they can be quite scared and wriggly, I’d get your little one checked over, they fragile creatures, it’s takes time to be trusted by piggies, hope all is ok
My parents think I’m overreacting, and they aren’t allowing me to take her to the vet. I’ve been crying in fear because I do not want to lose her. It has been 5 hours since she last pooped but shes peeing quite a bit. I don’t know what to do, I’m so scared.

Is she showing any other signs of injury? How did she land? On her feet or head? She probably in shock and too scared to do anything, is she hiding ? I’d still get her checked over

Is she showing any other signs of injury? How did she land? On her feet or head? She probably in shock and too scared to do anything, is she hiding ? I’d still get her checked over
I’m not sure how she landed, as I was asleep and was woken up by my dad telling me the story and to keep an eye on her. I recently bought her a new hidey but she doesn’t even use it, maybe she just doesn’t know how to get in it. She just sits in corners and does nothing.

Have you plenty of hay? Is she a single piggie? Do you have pics of set up?

Shes a single piggy, but my parents are promising me another one if I get my grades up before finals. I’ll send a pic now, and I just replaced her new hidey with her old one.

Heres the photos

Attachments

• 802D3302-DB95-4B0B-84A4-1238DC696281.webp
    802D3302-DB95-4B0B-84A4-1238DC696281.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 5C09D7C5-CC41-4658-B192-28F2F110A302.webp
    5C09D7C5-CC41-4658-B192-28F2F110A302.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 3EC2B921-C7CF-470D-9792-3D452E7FB9E4.webp
    3EC2B921-C7CF-470D-9792-3D452E7FB9E4.webp
    72 KB · Views: 30
Please get her checked by a vet, I’d get more hay in there, they love to eat, play, tunnel, toilet in there, i don’t use hay racks,

Please see a vet asap. 10 feet is a huge height to fall and she needs to be checked out. Are you are it was 10 feet? Piggies can hide injuries so it is essential she is seen.
I have been BEGGING them to take her to the vet. My brothers have a 3 tier bunk bed, so it was around 10 feet. My brother, on the top bunk, tried handing my guinea pig to my other brother, on the ground, and somehow she fell. Reference image down below. She fell most likely 2 bunks down, but I’m not totally sure.

Attachments

• EA030B5A-F9D4-48AE-9FAC-BB43DF57EE23.webp
    EA030B5A-F9D4-48AE-9FAC-BB43DF57EE23.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 30
Please get her checked by a vet, I’d get more hay in there, they love to eat, play, tunnel, toilet in there, i don’t use hay racks,
I have a tunnel, I just took it out to show the cage because the tunnel takes up a bit of space, and I think the crunchy noise it makes scares her.

Guinea pigs if being handled by children need to be supervised and at a low level, they not toys and get scared, please get your girl checked, plus she being a single piggie needs a piggie friend to play with and communicate with, human interaction isn’t enough

All we can advise is that after a fall from that height urgent vet care is needed to check for internal injuries.
If she isn’t eating any hay at all, then you need to switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily, and step in with syringe feeding

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

In terms of her set up, she needs more enrichment to keep her occupied. i would remove the hay rack and instead give loose piles of hay on the cage floor as they enjoy being in amongst hay and foraging through it and that hay rack looks quite restrictive. Also, she needs to be given less pellets - its just one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day and not to be left with constant access to them. Essentially, she needs a friend. Single piggies get lonely.

I’m getting her a friend soon, I’ve actually found one on an adoption website, I just have to wait until the school years over. Thank you for the advice, I will try my best to convince my parents as much as I can to take her to the vet, even if it means paying for it myself and walking myself there.

Good to hear, most rescues offer a bonding session for her to find a friend, small fee needed and it can take time, get her more hay, she stays in there cuz that’s where she feels safe, much more hay needed, they like to make a mess, let’s us know how you get on at the vets

Good to hear, most rescues offer a bonding session for her to find a friend, small fee needed and it can take time, get her more hay, she stays in there cuz that’s where she feels safe, much more hay needed, they like to make a mess, let’s us know how you get on at the vets
Unfortunately, there aren’t any rescue building with guinea pigs in my state that I know of. Thank you for all your help, my fear has definitely been soothed and I’m much calmer now. Its almost 2am here and I’ve been awake this whole time worrying about her. I will keep you posted as much as I can, thank you.

I decided to do this before I finally go to sleep. She actually got out of her hidey and started walking around, making small purring sounds. Thank you again

Attachments

• 75747EB7-C58F-42A4-B4DF-DB3353ED0D7C.webp
    75747EB7-C58F-42A4-B4DF-DB3353ED0D7C.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 31
I decided to do this before I finally go to sleep. She actually got out of her hidey and started walking around, making small purring sounds. Thank you again
That’s better, they love hay everywhere

I hope your piggy is ok. Keep a very close eye on her.

And I would ban your brothers from handling her. She’s not a toy.
Agreed! They are usually very calm with her. My brother just wanted to lay with her in his bed. I will be restricting her to the downstairs ONLY unless it is me, my dad, or my mom who takes her upstairs. Nobody else.

i would also like to report some very good healthy poops :)

But it also seems like she had some diarrhea earlier :(

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    23 KB · Views: 15
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    117.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi. My guinea pig was dropped from about 10 feet due to the mishandling of my brothers. She isn’t showing too many signs of injury, but is rather, not pooping, eating hay, or drinking water. I’ve been able to feed her lettuce but thats it. And lately, she’s been very aggressive towards me and will bite me and make very loud squeals if I pet her. Please help, I really don’t want to lose my piggy. :(

Please have your piggy seen by a vet.

If she is not eating hay (ie. three quarters of the daily foot intake, not drinking and only nibbling on a little lettuce), then she must be in great pain and have likely internal injuries from the fall. A veg only diet can casue soft poos because it is the hay in the diet that is responsible for the bulk and the healthy consistency.
After her experience, and in view of the pain she must be in, I would would also fight being handled.

You need to step in with feeding support asap; this link here contains all the necessary information; including what you can do with what you have at home or easily available because guinea pigs cannot afford to fast: All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Here is our emergency and crisis care link with all the necessary support care information, including how soon and when to see a vet (loss of appetite and a big fall definitely count as such) plus a chapter on how to spot when your piggy is dying: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

You can show the links to your parents or a vet if needed. The Emergency Care link also contains links to safe and unsafe medication if you are seeing a vet not familiar with guinea pigs.

Please have your piggy seen by a vet.

If she is not eating hay (ie. three quarters of the daily foot intake, not drinking and only nibbling on a little lettuce), then she must be in great pain and have likely internal injuries from the fall. A veg only diet can casue soft poos because it is the hay in the diet that is responsible for the bulk and the healthy consistency.
After her experience, and in view of the pain she must be in, I would would also fight being handled.

You need to step in with feeding support asap; this link here contains all the necessary information; including what you can do with what you have at home or easily available because guinea pigs cannot afford to fast: All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Here is our emergency and crisis care link with all the necessary support care information, including how soon and when to see a vet (loss of appetite and a big fall definitely count as such) plus a chapter on how to spot when your piggy is dying: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

You can show the links to your parents or a vet if needed. The Emergency Care link also contains links to safe and unsafe medication if you are seeing a vet not familiar with guinea pigs.

Shes getting seen by a vet today :)

She isn’t on a veg only diet, she eats hay and pellets. She didn’t nibble on the lettuce, she ate quite a bit. I have been syringe feeding her water, but sadly we don’t have a great syringe, and the syringe is huge. But, she is doing much better. I will keep everyone updated on how the vet visit goes.

Shes getting seen by a vet today :)

She isn’t on a veg only diet, she eats hay and pellets. She didn’t nibble on the lettuce, she ate quite a bit. I have been syringe feeding her water, but sadly we don’t have a great syringe, and the syringe is huge. But, she is doing much better. I will keep everyone updated on how the vet visit goes.

All the best!
You monitor the actual food intake by weighing daily on your kitchen scales instead of the normal health monitoring life-long weekly weigh in. The poo picture you have posted clearly reflects very little and virtually no hay/food intake for at least a day, looking at their size and consistency. Hence my comments. ;)

Unfortunately, you cannot judge the hay intake by eye and the poo output runs a day or two late because it takes around a day for food to pass through the digestive (plus guinea pigs eat poos for a second run for full fibre breakdown, which your piggy may currently not do, seeing those poos). That is where the kitchen scales come in because they give you instant correct feedback on how much and which level of care you need to give. weighing first thing in the morning gives the best comparison from day to day as the weight swings around 30g over the course of 24 hours. You can find all the necessary information in our new syringe feeding and medicating guide.

All the best!
You monitor the actual food intake by weighing daily on your kitchen scales instead of the normal health monitoring life-long weekly weigh in. The poo picture you have posted clearly reflects very little and virtually no hay/food intake for at least a day, looking at their size and consistency. Hence my comments. ;)

Unfortunately, you cannot judge the hay intake by eye and the poo output runs a day or two late because it takes around a day for food to pass through the digestive (plus guinea pigs eat poos for a second run for full fibre breakdown, which your piggy may currently not do, seeing those poos). That is where the kitchen scales come in because they give you instant correct feedback on how much and which level of care you need to give. weighing first thing in the morning gives the best comparison from day to day as the weight swings around 30g over the course of 24 hours. You can find all the necessary information in our new syringe feeding and medicating guide.
Where can I buy some? I don’t know where they sell any scales near me, but maybe I’m not looking

Where can I buy some? I don’t know where they sell any scales near me, but maybe I’m not looking

Just normal cheap supermarket scales will do; or you order them from amazon or ebay. You do not need to calculate medical dosages, only monitor the weight loss/gain from day to day, so they do not need to be super-duper.
You can see the ones we mean in the practical how-to weighing video and pictures in this link here:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Here is all about weight, inlcuding how you work out whether your piggy is a good weight for her size: Weight - Monitoring and Management

Just normal cheap supermarket scales will do; or you order them from amazon or ebay. You do not need to calculate medical dosages, only monitor the weight loss/gain from day to day, so they do not need to be super-duper.
You can see the ones we mean in the practical how-to weighing video and pictures in this link here:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Here is all about weight, inlcuding how you work out whether your piggy is a good weight for her size: Weight - Monitoring and Management

Honestly, I probably should mention I’ve had her since November, but I didn’t know too much about guinea pigs. Around December, we bought her a midwest cage which was an upgrade from the awful pet store ones. She has always been shy but we take good care of her, and in all of the months we’ve had her, she hasn’t been like this. I’ve only recently (Last 3-4 months) been knowledgeable on guinea pigs! I feel awful about it, but I’ve been now taking proper care of her.

Oh Gosh I'm so sorry for your experiences. And well done for fighting for her after your big shock and getting a vet appointment. I must say that sometimes Moms and Dads can be far too indulgent allowing siblings to pass pigs around and will have a go at the 'owner' for not sharing - it can feel easier that way. But these little animals aren't toys and accidents happen all the time (we see the sad results on here). I'll tell you, those parents who've had the shock of a sudden vet bill will find themselves suddenly tougher than they ever thought enforcing those rules!

Let your parents know that they wouldn't be getting a second pig for you - it would be for her. Pigs need the company of their own kind if you really want to see their full range of behaviour. They want someone to talk to and have fun with... they are a herd animal and a prey animal so they don't want to be alone because they are frightened all the time. I know that they are sold as lone pigs over there in the US - over here UK shops/rescues and even breeders will insist on at least two of the same sex... if you are the look out for one you have to be able to prove you have a companion at home. In countries like Switzerland it's actually illegal to keep just one of them! 'In the wild' a lone pig would be a lost pig (and easy pickings for predators) or even the last pig because all the others had been eaten. No wonder they get scared! What you have there is a very brave little girl x

Personally our pigs were only handled by the kids at floor level. I didn't let them sit on the couch or go into the beds. I've kept various piggies for about 10 years and even ones that know you well will make a sudden blind jump if they panic. Their eyesight isn't great so they don't realise how far they have to go. Putting them back into their enclosure can actually be the greatest time of risk as they smell they are nearly home. But it's a wonderful thing to sit comfortably with a piggy that could easily choose to climb down and walk away... but chooses to stay 💕

Good luck and I really hope things go well. We are all learning all the time x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back