• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig advice after a viral infection

HannahCoxen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good morning!
I’m hoping someone can help with a a question I have, just to note first I am waiting for the vets to contact me to finish registering my two Guinea pigs so I can get professional advice/treatment, just hoping someone on the forum may of experienced before…
Back in July 22, we lost our Guinea pig to a viral infection, at the time we did not know that’s what it was, we thought it was due to heatstroke, something I can still not forgive myself for.
In August 22 his brother Eddie, had what his brother had, so took him to an emergency vet who prescribed antibiotics and Medicare liquid food as he wasn’t eating. That was one of the longest weeks, I thought I was going to loose him, I’d never seen him so poorly. But he made it through and the vet discharged him.
Since the infection although he’s popcorning, playing with his brother, eating & drinking normally and being his general cheeky self, he’s also grown to full size now.
I have noticed his breathing has never normalised and it sounds like he has a permanent wheeze. He also makes this noise like an internal sneeze, I’ve noticed it’s worse when he’s outside, so I keep him in now permanently and bring the fresh grass to him.
His brother is fine, he never got it, but vet did put him on the antibiotics as a precaution.

Has anyone else experienced long term effects after a viral infection? Or could it be that it never went away? I’m hoping the vet will call me over the next 2 days so I can make an appointment to have my mind put to rest.

Many thanks in advance

Can you clarify what viral infection it was?
A respiratory infection is bacterial hence antibiotics being prescribed.
How long was he on antibiotics for?

We get colds, which are caused by viruses, but piggies don't get colds so cold symptoms are a sign of bacterial infection. Antibiotics treat bacteria and don't have any effect on viruses which is why we don't get prescribed ABs for human colds but we might for sinus infections etc.

Sometimes pigs can get issues following respiratory infections which might have damaged the lungs a bit, some pigs can be more sensitive to cold and damp than others so it's good you've brought them in. I had an old girl once that seemed to have the occasional day of wet nose and eyes every couple of months but by the time I got in at the vet she was fine and they couldn't find anything. She was definitely triggered by going outside in weather that was fine for her cage-mates but not for her. I guess she could have had either an underlying resp infection rumbling on but as she was 5 when I got her it could have been age-related.

Sometimes pigs can be a bit sensitive to dust in hay but it's much better to rule out the risky stuff rather than assume it's a housekeeping issue. Good luck at your appointment boys! ☺️

Hi and welcome

Viral infections in guinea pigs are pretty rare. In order to give you the correct information and support, we need to know more about the nature and symptoms of it, as well as what what medication (brand, dosage, length of treatment) your boy was prescribed. How did your vet diagnose that it was viral?

Most respiratory illnesses in guinea pigs are caused by bacteria but there are a few nastier bugs around that can affect the respiratory system. They are however often on the deadly and very fast hitting side and would require very strong and prompt antibiotics to be in with a small chance.

Please bring your guinea pigs indoors for the winter and the worst of the heat in summer and then treat them like tender plants in spring. We have recently had some rather cold nights.

I wouldn’t be super concerned. Just keep an eye on him. It might also be due to dust from food pellets or hay. Considering that he is still healing, he probably just needs to rest. Keep him inside. Viral infections are very deadly to any small animal so even though he did survive *thank god* he probably still needs time for his lungs to recover. I own two Guinea pigs who both have gotten sick once or twice. Give them foods with vitamin c like a tomato, bell pepper, or half of a grape without seeds. Keep an eye on how much he is drinking as well.

I wouldn’t be super concerned. Just keep an eye on him. It might also be due to dust from food pellets or hay. Considering that he is still healing, he probably just needs to rest. Keep him inside. Viral infections are very deadly to any small animal so even though he did survive *thank god* he probably still needs time for his lungs to recover. I own two Guinea pigs who both have gotten sick once or twice. Give them foods with vitamin c like a tomato, bell pepper, or half of a grape without seeds. Keep an eye on how much he is drinking as well.
Hello and welcome to the forum @Guinea Pig Fan 2022. Please be aware that our Health and Illness threads are monitored by a team of experienced members and staff whose experience is well known to us and who answer a huge number of threads. The forum is open for everyone to post in all areas but it’s usually best to limit your posts in the health and illness section to posts on which you have specific experience of the issue involved.

Hi and welcome

Viral infections in guinea pigs are pretty rare. In order to give you the correct information and support, we need to know more about the nature and symptoms of it, as well as what what medication (brand, dosage, length of treatment) your boy was prescribed. How did your vet diagnose that it was viral?

Most respiratory illnesses in guinea pigs are caused by bacteria but there are a few nastier bugs around that can affect the respiratory system. They are however often on the deadly and very fast hitting side and would require very strong and prompt antibiotics to be in with a small chance.

Please bring your guinea pigs indoors for the winter and the worst of the heat in summer and then treat them like tender plants in spring. We have recently had some rather cold nights.
Eddi was give Baytril 0.5ml twice daily for 10 days and then after he was reviewed to finish the antibiotics.
I wasn’t allowed in the vets when he was diagnosed, but he was very lethargic at the time, wasn’t eating and was just laying around and not being his usual self. He is back to his normal self now, he’s been back to normal since the 1st week of September.
He now lives inside with his brother and he doesn’t go outside anymore

Eddi was give Baytril 0.5ml twice daily for 10 days and then after he was reviewed to finish the antibiotics.
I wasn’t allowed in the vets when he was diagnosed, but he was very lethargic at the time, wasn’t eating and was just laying around and not being his usual self. He is back to his normal self now, he’s been back to normal since the 1st week of September.
He now lives inside with his brother and he doesn’t go outside anymore
I’ll see if I can take a recording of his breathing and catch him when he is making the noise that sounds like an internal sneeze

I’ll see if I can take a recording of his breathing and catch him when he is making the noise that sounds like an internal sneeze
I manage to get the sound of the internal sneeze he makes and the sound of the wheezing he does but says the file is too large to attached 😑

I manage to get the sound of the internal sneeze he makes and the sound of the wheezing he does but says the file is too large to attached 😑

Upload it to somewhere like YouTube and then link it here - we can't upload videos to the forum direct.

Upload it to somewhere like YouTube and then link it here - we can't upload videos to the forum direct.
Eddie and the wheezing

Hopefully that’s worked? He made the internal sneeze noise About 2 seconds into recording. It’s not all the time, but the wheezing is

That worked! Not that I know what the noise means, sorry, but I can hear it clearly.

Good morning!
I’m hoping someone can help with a a question I have, just to note first I am waiting for the vets to contact me to finish registering my two Guinea pigs so I can get professional advice/treatment, just hoping someone on the forum may of experienced before…
Back in July 22, we lost our Guinea pig to a viral infection, at the time we did not know that’s what it was, we thought it was due to heatstroke, something I can still not forgive myself for.
In August 22 his brother Eddie, had what his brother had, so took him to an emergency vet who prescribed antibiotics and Medicare liquid food as he wasn’t eating. That was one of the longest weeks, I thought I was going to loose him, I’d never seen him so poorly. But he made it through and the vet discharged him.
Since the infection although he’s popcorning, playing with his brother, eating & drinking normally and being his general cheeky self, he’s also grown to full size now.
I have noticed his breathing has never normalised and it sounds like he has a permanent wheeze. He also makes this noise like an internal sneeze, I’ve noticed it’s worse when he’s outside, so I keep him in now permanently and bring the fresh grass to him.
His brother is fine, he never got it, but vet did put him on the antibiotics as a precaution.

Has anyone else experienced long term effects after a viral infection? Or could it be that it never went away? I’m hoping the vet will call me over the next 2 days so I can make an appointment to have my mind put to rest.

Many thanks in advance
I’ve managed to do a link to You Tube of the noise Eddie does

Eddie and the wheezing

I think you need to take him back to the vet. Mine have been making that sort of noise. They have a respiratory infection running through the group, that noise was one of the first signs each one gave as they went down with it. I suspect the initial infection hadn't completely gone for your boy and he will need more anti biotics. I'm so sorry you are going through this too, it's a bit of a nightmare trying to clear my boys.

I think you need to take him back to the vet. Mine have been making that sort of noise. They have a respiratory infection running through the group, that noise was one of the first signs each one gave as they went down with it. I suspect the initial infection hadn't completely gone for your boy and he will need more anti biotics. I'm so sorry you are going through this too, it's a bit of a nightmare trying to clear my boys.
Thank you for confirming. I’ll chase up the vets tomorrow and get him booked in.

Hi, thought I’d provide an update on what’s happened. I took him to the vets and said it’s respiratory, his heart and lungs are healthy. They’ve given me some medicine an anti inflammatory and metacam 0.25mg and baytril 0.5mls twice a day.
After 24 hours on the medication Eddie had become limp and head on one side (although eating), we rushed him to the vets and turns out Eddie had a stroke during the night and has affected his eye and no able to hold his head up when he stands on his hind legs.
So we’ve stopped the medication for the time being to see if we can get him a good recovery from the stroke. His appetite is very much on form at the moment and still playing with his brother. But I’m so gutted

@Wiebke ?
I'm so sorry this has happened. Baytril is an absolutely standard antibiotic given to piggies and 0.5ml (of 2.5%) is a standard dose. Metacam is similarly a standard anti-inflam/painkiller for pigs. We've had a range of doses - George has been on 0.25ml (of 1.5mg/ml, so 0.33ish mg) twice a day for more than 2 years. Others have been on much higher in the short-term. Personally I've not heard of stroke being related to either of these medicines but perhaps Wiebke knows more.
He looks such a lively, lovely boy. I hope he can make a good recovery x

Hi, thought I’d provide an update on what’s happened. I took him to the vets and said it’s respiratory, his heart and lungs are healthy. They’ve given me some medicine an anti inflammatory and metacam 0.25mg and baytril 0.5mls twice a day.
After 24 hours on the medication Eddie had become limp and head on one side (although eating), we rushed him to the vets and turns out Eddie had a stroke during the night and has affected his eye and no able to hold his head up when he stands on his hind legs.
So we’ve stopped the medication for the time being to see if we can get him a good recovery from the stroke. His appetite is very much on form at the moment and still playing with his brother. But I’m so gutted

BIG HUGS
I am so very sorry. What a bummer! :(

But I haven't come across strokes as a complication to either medication which are the most commonly prescribed ones for guinea pigs. The dosages are also not at all uncommon.

Please weigh him daily at the same time and step in with extra feeding support.

Keep in mind that at least three quarters of what a guinea pig eats in a day is hay - it is actually the silica in the hay/grass fibre that keeps the crucial back teeth ground down.
He may be able to eat soft foods but you need to keep an eye on the hay intake - daily weighing at the same time (ideally first thing in the morning for best day to day comparison) is important for the coming days and possibly some weeks. You cannot control the hay intake by eye. Just watching your piggy nibbling on a little hay can be very deceptive.
Our weighing guide tells you all about what to look out for.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Potential secondary complications to a stroke:
- Please also start checking the front teeth in some days in case a slant develops. One side may be weaker due to the stroke and he won't chew as much. There is a risk of a one-sided overgrowth due to the crucial back teeth not being ground down evenly.
- If the eye has been affected by the stroke, I would also recommend to order a carbomer based eye gel (any brand will do; viscotears is a good UK brand that I have been recommended by my own vets) and to apply it three times a day in order to keep the eye hydrated and washed out in case he is no longer able to do that.

There is unfortunately the risk of him having another stroke soon after, especially if there is an underlying genetic disposition; the same as with humans having had a stroke. There are other antibiotics if needed.
Here is some helpful practical information in case things take a sudden turn for the worse; especially at an inconvenient time of day: Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed!

PS: Metacam is both a painkiller and anti-inflammory (painkillers generally work on reducing any inflammation).

BIG HUGS
I am so very sorry. What a bummer! :(

But I haven't come across strokes as a complication to either medication which are the most commonly prescribed ones for guinea pigs. The dosages are also not at all uncommon.

Please weigh him daily at the same time and step in with extra feeding support.

Keep in mind that at least three quarters of what a guinea pig eats in a day is hay - it is actually the silica in the hay/grass fibre that keeps the crucial back teeth ground down.
He may be able to eat soft foods but you need to keep an eye on the hay intake - daily weighing at the same time (ideally first thing in the morning for best day to day comparison) is important for the coming days and possibly some weeks. You cannot control the hay intake by eye. Just watching your piggy nibbling on a little hay can be very deceptive.
Our weighing guide tells you all about what to look out for.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Potential secondary complications to a stroke:
- Please also start checking the front teeth in some days in case a slant develops. One side may be weaker due to the stroke and he won't chew as much. There is a risk of a one-sided overgrowth due to the crucial back teeth not being ground down evenly.
- If the eye has been affected by the stroke, I would also recommend to order a carbomer based eye gel (any brand will do; viscotears is a good UK brand that I have been recommended by my own vets) and to apply it three times a day in order to keep the eye hydrated and washed out in case he is no longer able to do that.

There is unfortunately the risk of him having another stroke soon after, especially if there is an underlying genetic disposition; the same as with humans having had a stroke. There are other antibiotics if needed.
Here is some helpful practical information in case things take a sudden turn for the worse; especially at an inconvenient time of day: Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed!

PS: Metacam is both a painkiller and anti-inflammory (painkillers generally work on reducing any inflammation).
Thanks you, he’s had another stroke during the night, I can see one of his nostrils is completely blocked up and his breathing is bad. I managed to get him to eat some mint but now he’s stopped. He can’t move, I'm trying to get hold of the vets as now he’s had a second stroke, I think I have to let him go. I'm heart broken and I'm filled with so much guilt

Thanks you, he’s had another stroke during the night, I can see one of his nostrils is completely blocked up and his breathing is bad. I managed to get him to eat some mint but now he’s stopped. He can’t move, I'm trying to get hold of the vets as now he’s had a second stroke, I think I have to let him go. I'm heart broken and I'm filled with so much guilt
I’ve put him up right laying in a box with socks either side. As soon as I did that he’s been eating hay and mint. I’m really hoping that he gets better, I’m going to give it a bit more time to see if he gains strength in his body as he’s trying to move. I just really don’t understand how this has happened, he was playing yesterday after the stroke and now can’t move. I don’t want to put him through unnecessary pain or discomfort if he’s just going to get worse. I can see one of his noses has completely blocked up, I don’t know if it’s linked to his sneezes.

I'm so sorry :hug:you did everything you could for him and more, and he knew that too. Be kind to yourself, this isn't your fault at all.

My beautiful boy is now at peace and no doubt in a field filled with mint.
Thank you all for your help and support x

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. What a huge shock for you.

Please try to be kind with yourself and others doing their best as you try to make sense of it all. We tend to either reflect it all back onto ourselves in the form of massive feelings of guilt and failure or onto others as intense anger if we perceive a potential cause outside ourselves. Your vet will no doubt be as devastated as you. You wouldn't feel as intensely if you didn't love and care so deeply - and so does any vet.
We have seen quite literally thousands of piggies over the years on this forum treated with with baytril and metacam, and it has never coincided with a stroke.

The illness (viral is harder to treat than bacterial and much rarer in guinea pigs), treatment or even the stress of a vet trip may have been the trigger in your case, but only to a fuse that was already primed to set off a genetic bomb. It would have gone off sooner rather than later anyway. Some piggies are sadly born with a short straw. They are seemingly healthy until the bomb in their body goes off, whether that is a stroke or the heart (attack or sudden failure) or something else. :(
There is nothing you - or any vet - can do about it because it cannot be foreseen, doesn't show up before and therefore cannot prevented. And you can never brace for it. I have those t-shirts, too, so I know hard it is to cope with what has just happened.
Anyway, I have been keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that Eddie would be able to pull round and not be one of the majority of piggies suffering a cluster of strokes in quick succession. It's always very upsetting when your gut feelings are coming true. :(
Try to take consolation that you have done your very best for Eddie at all stages and that you have not failed him in any way, putting your own fears and pain second to his needs and wellbeing. :( :( :(

Please give yourself time to grieve; it is not something you can walk away from lightly. Eddie will always be a part of you since he has been part of your life but right now he has been ripped away from you in a very traumatic way and it HURTS.

If - or whenever - you feel that you are trapped in or overwhelmed by your grief, guilt loop and shock or are suffering from PTSD symptoms, please contact the free support service platforms that the Blue Cross offers to people in the UK struggling with pet bereavement. Talking is the best thing you can do for yourself and ultimately also for Eddie and how you remember him.
Feedback from forum members who have made use of them in their own struggles with their own grief has all been positive - especially those that have been initially very reluctant.
Pet bereavement and pet loss

You may also find these links here helpful in the coming days to make sense of your intense feelings and the wide range of them; especially if this is your first encounter with death or a sudden traumatic loss.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

BIG HUGS

Please try to be kind with yourself and others doing their best as you try to make sense of it all. We tend to either reflect it all back onto ourselves in the form of massive feelings of guilt and failure or onto others as intense angers if we perceive a potential cause outside ourselves. Your vet will no doubt be as devastated as you. You wouldn't feel as intensely if you didn't love and care so deeply - and so does any vet.
We have seen quite literally thousands of piggies over the years on this forum treated with with baytril and metacam, and never had it coinciding with a stroke.

The illness or treatment may have been the trigger in your case, but only to a fuse that was already primed to set off a genetic bomb. It would have gone off sooner rather than later anyway. Some piggies are sadly born with a short straw. They are seemingly healthy until the bomb in their body goes off, whether that is a stroke or the heart. :(

There is nothing you - or any vet - can do about it because it cannot be foreseen or prevented. And you can never brace for it. I have those t-shirts, too, so I know hard it is to cope with what has just happened. I have been keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that Eddie would be able to pull round and not be one of the majority of piggies suffering a cluster of strokes in quick succession.
Try to take consolation that you have done your very best for Eddie at all stages and that you have not failed him in any way, putting your own fears and pain second to his needs and wellbeing. :( :( :(
Please give yourself time to grieve; it is not something you can walk away from lightly. Eddie will always be a part of you since he has been part of your life but right now he has been ripped away from you in a very traumatic way.

If - or whenever - you feel that you are trapped in your grief and shock or suffering from PTSD symptoms, please contact the free support service platforms that the Blue Cross offers to people in the UK struggling with pet bereavement. Talking is the best thing you can do for yourself and ultimately also for Eddie and how you remember him.
Feedback from forum members who have made use of them in their own struggles of being overwhelmed by their grief has all been positive - especially those that have been initially very reluctant.

You may also find these links here helpful in the coming days to make sense of your intense feelings and the wide range of them; especially if this is your first encounter with death or a sudden traumatic loss.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thank you x

BIG HUGS

Please try to be kind with yourself and others doing their best as you try to make sense of it all. We tend to either reflect it all back onto ourselves in the form of massive feelings of guilt and failure or onto others as intense anger if we perceive a potential cause outside ourselves. Your vet will no doubt be as devastated as you. You wouldn't feel as intensely if you didn't love and care so deeply - and so does any vet.
We have seen quite literally thousands of piggies over the years on this forum treated with with baytril and metacam, and it has never coincided with a stroke.

The illness (viral is harder to treat than bacterial and much rarer in guinea pigs), treatment or even the stress of a vet trip may have been the trigger in your case, but only to a fuse that was already primed to set off a genetic bomb. It would have gone off sooner rather than later anyway. Some piggies are sadly born with a short straw. They are seemingly healthy until the bomb in their body goes off, whether that is a stroke or the heart (attack or sudden failure) or something else. :(
There is nothing you - or any vet - can do about it because it cannot be foreseen, doesn't show up before and therefore cannot prevented. And you can never brace for it. I have those t-shirts, too, so I know hard it is to cope with what has just happened.
Anyway, I have been keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that Eddie would be able to pull round and not be one of the majority of piggies suffering a cluster of strokes in quick succession. It's always very upsetting when your gut feelings are coming true. :(

Please give yourself time to grieve; it is not something you can walk away from lightly. Eddie will always be a part of you since he has been part of your life but right now he has been ripped away from you in a very traumatic way and it HURTS.

If - or whenever - you feel that you are trapped in or overwhelmed by your grief, guilt loop and shock or are suffering from PTSD symptoms, please contact the free support service platforms that the Blue Cross offers to people in the UK struggling with pet bereavement. Talking is the best thing you can do for yourself and ultimately also for Eddie and how you remember him.
Feedback from forum members who have made use of them in their own struggles with their own grief has all been positive - especially those that have been initially very reluctant.

I just read back the opening sentence, I would never blame my vet I’m not that kind of person. If anything he saved him from an agony he was bound to have in the future if the medication hadn’t defected it sooner xx

I just read back the opening sentence, I would never blame my vet I’m not that kind of person. If anything he saved him from an agony he was bound to have in the future if the medication hadn’t defected it sooner xx

You are a very kind and fair person and very obviously a very loving and dedicated owner. Eddie was blessed to have found you. 😍

People often react without thinking in their first shock and pain. Vets are the profession with the highest rate of suicide and there are many who drop out again after just a few years because it is mentally and physically so taxing.

My remark was not meant personally but it is also for our many visitors looking at this thread to please think twice when they put two and two together in order to make sense but end up with 125 after a sudden loss. Vets are not gods in scrubs, they are more like detectives who all too often have to try and solve a cybercrime with a magnifying lens and fingerprint powder... but they sadly get all too often blamed when things go wrong.

Thought I’d let you all know, Teddie wasn’t doing very well without Eddie, he stopped eating and would just lay in a hide not moving. So after 41 rescue centres and pet shops finding if they have odd number boars, we got him a little brother Errik.
I’m so proud of my Teddie, he’s such a gentle soul, Errik’s been on his back whilst Teddie takes him around. He’s been teaching him so much around the cage and plays with him in such a gentle way.
I can tell Errik is going to be an absolute cheeky chappy, just like my Eddie was.
Thank you everyone I have found this forum so valuable, I’ve studied this whole forum and I don’t know think Eddie or Teddie would have done so well without this forum.
Picture of Teddie & Errik in the bonding cage, but now moved into their forever home Xx

Attachments

• 3D3AA373-7FDE-4397-8E8C-A17912FE0629.webp
    3D3AA373-7FDE-4397-8E8C-A17912FE0629.webp
    108.8 KB · Views: 8
Back