Good signs should I move them in?

Yes its totally normal behaviour. It's your older one asserting their dominance
Thank you. I just hope I see them become more friendlier with each other. They look for each other when they're apart

Thank you. I just hope I see them become more friendlier with each other. They look for each other when they're apart

Dominance is friendly. They may never share a bed, cuddle etc as it is normal for piggies not to. As long as there aren’t any fights, then it’s all good between them

I got three girls, 1 and her daughter and Maisie, there is never a dull moment with them, they like their own space/bed and own space in piled hay, they rumble and sway their bums and nipper charges from one end to the next, so funny but when your new to it, it’s stressful but you get used to it after a bit, their whiskers touch and they grumble, won’t share food, funny little cavies

Yes entirely normal.
The full bonding process takes two weeks but seeing rumbling (and other dominance) will happen lifelong, particularly when they are in season
Thank you. Just want to see them play and be a little closer. I'm sure they will get there

Dominance is friendly. They may never share a bed, cuddle etc as it is normal for piggies not to. As long as there aren’t any fights, then it’s all good between them
Thank you. I'm getting them a c&c cage for more space too

Thank you. I'm getting them a c&c cage for more space too

Thats great.
Make sure to use soiled bedding from their old cage when you move them to a new cage. A new cage is a new territory so will cause them reestablish their relationship (this will happen in any new environment). By using soiled bedding it means the new cage will still smell of them when you move them into it and it can go towards mitigating the effects of moving to a new territory.

I got three girls, 1 and her daughter and Maisie, there is never a dull moment with them, they like their own space/bed and own space in piled hay, they rumble and sway their bums and nipper charges from one end to the next, so funny but when your new to it, it’s stressful but you get used to it after a bit, their whiskers touch and they grumble, won’t share food, funny little cavies
Oh my. It is weird it's natural to want to protect the little one but I'm getting used to it. X

Will do thank you.
Thats great.
Make sure to use soiled bedding from their old cage when you move them to a new cage. A new cage is a new territory so will cause them reestablish their relationship (this will happen in any new environment). By using soiled bedding it means the new cage will still smell of them when you move them into it and it can go towards mitigating the effects of moving to a new territory.

Although it’s difficult, try not to put ‘human expectations’ on them. What I mean is they may not ‘play’ how you think they would. Popcorning and zooming is playing to them. Or hiding inside a nice big pile of hay and eating their way out. Or sitting inside a paper bag chomping on the hay/treats stuffed in there. It’s all enrichment, which is more then than play.

As for being close, you said they call for each other. That’s being close. I don’t want you to be disappointed if you expect them to cuddle and they don’t. My boys have been together since I got them…almost five years ago. They’ve rarely been in the same hide for long - I can count the number of times on one hand - but they have a good close bond. The top pig will look for his friend if he’s out the hutch.

Just enjoy the fun things they do and their individual characters. They sound like they’re getting on well 🙂

Although it’s difficult, try not to put ‘human expectations’ on them. What I mean is they may not ‘play’ how you think they would. Popcorning and zooming is playing to them. Or hiding inside a nice big pile of hay and eating their way out. Or sitting inside a paper bag chomping on the hay/treats stuffed in there. It’s all enrichment, which is more then than play.

As for being close, you said they call for each other. That’s being close. I don’t want you to be disappointed if you expect them to cuddle and they don’t. My boys have been together since I got them…almost five years ago. They’ve rarely been in the same hide for long - I can count the number of times on one hand - but they have a good close bond. The top pig will look for his friend if he’s out the hutch.

Just enjoy the fun things they do and their individual characters. They sound like they’re getting on well 🙂
Thank you that's really helpful and good to remember. We had them out again today and they do follow each other about and look for each other and when you said hide under a pile of hay that made me laugh as the little one does that. It's like watching a ball of hay run around then she stops to chomp and moves on again. So funny.

Back