garden weeds?

hi everyone, sorry to jump back on this post i just really need some advice. so the garden the pigs have access too is absolutely covered in all sorts and i’m getting quite overwhelmed trying to identify them and check if they are poisonous.. the list i’ve found stating poisonous plants and weeds is absolutely huge so i’m so afraid of misidentification and the possibility of them having access to things they shouldn’t have, if they where to eat something on this list, would it be deadly or more just tummy upset? i’m trying to only put the run in areas with the least things growing however as i’ve said it’s basically impossible, i’m pulling / digging up as much as i can but still worry. also i’ve noticed the whole lawn seems to be covered in a layer of moss, is this something i should be concerned about?
Hi

No problem in using a previous thread of yours with new questions on the same theme. ;)

Most of the poisonous plants piggies need to eat quite an amount at once or a little on a daily basis to do some real damage, but a few like ragwort, dock and foxglove can be fatal in small quantities; foxglove leaves unfortunately do not taste bad to piggies.

Buttercup they need to eat more of; just one small creeping buttercup on the lawn won't kill and daisies are simply not good in large quantities.
Moss is generally avoided by piggies as it tastes bad to them. I have moss on my lawn but have never had an issue with my piggies.

Please don’t ever be sorry for posting. This is your thread and you can ask questions on it whenever you want!

It depends what weed it is and how much they eat - a little of something poisonous may cause a tummy upset but eat a lot and it could have more serious consequences. Equally some things are toxic and much more harmful in much smaller quantities.
Moss is harmful (although I believe it doesn’t taste nice and a lot will avoid it), you also don’t want them eating celandine, buttercup, daisies (although I think one or two daisies isnt too bad but you don’t want them eating a lot of them so best avoided) - to name just a couple of the harmful common lawn weeds

thankyou so much!
yes of corse, wow okay thats a worry about moss then as it honestly covers the whole garden🤯 i don’t put them on any flowers (that i can see anyway) and if there’s any there i will pull them out the ground before putting the girls out. really not sure what i’m going to do.. might be a case of just sitting in the run once we’ve got a good position and just pulling everything up/out and trying to remove this layer of moss!

It's difficult isn't it. Do you have space inside for them to stretch their legs? Mine can't go on the lawn mostly because we have many birds of prey visiting the garden (mostly buzzards and red kites) so I go out with a bowl and scissors and cut grass and bring it in for the pigs. You could plant some cat grass in trays for your pigs. That way then you won't have to worry about what's in it 😊

it really is! yes they have indoor play time daily however i’d love to be able to work our way up to days on the grass. wow that is a huge worry i don’t blame you! i already hand pick grass for them when they’ve not been out however i sit there for a good ten minutes going through the blades to ensure theres no rouge leaves or weeds🤣

Hi

No problem in using a previous thread of yours with new questions on the same theme. ;)

Most of the poisonous plants piggies need to eat quite an amount at once or a little on a daily basis to do some real damage, but a few like ragwort, dock and foxglove can be fatal in small quantities; foxglove leaves unfortunately do not taste bad to piggies.

Buttercup they need to eat more of; just one small creeping buttercup on the lawn won't kill and daisies are simply not good in large quantities.
Moss is generally avoided by piggies as it tastes bad to them. I have moss on my lawn but have never had an issue with my piggies.

thanks so much!
okay will definitely keep an eye out for them weeds, to be honest i don’t put the run on anything like that i can see growing, its more when you actually get in the grass you find all sorts lol, lots of tiny little flowers, a coating off moss and lots of weedy leaves and things.

thanks so much!
okay will definitely keep an eye out for them weeds, to be honest i don’t put the run on anything like that i can see growing, its more when you actually get in the grass you find all sorts lol, lots of tiny little flowers, a coating off moss and lots of weedy leaves and things.

Foxgloves, ragwort and dock are pretty large and grow very fast; they are also quite distinctive. Unless you got ragwort seeds blown onto the lawn (I have had that happening a few years ago but we are adjoining open land), you need not worry about them on the grass.
Just don't plant foxgloves anywhere near a lawn or not at all in your garden. The other two are more pasture and roadside plants.
Buttercups are quite distinctive, so dig out any you find on the lawn or near it. Learn how their leaves look and look for similar ones nearby; they tend to see around around. Then eliminate them over the coming years by digging them out. All members of that family (ranunculacae) are not good for piggies and rabbits.

Foxgloves, ragwort and dock are pretty large and grow very fast; they are also quite distinctive. Unless you got ragwort seeds blown onto the lawn (I have had that happening a few years ago but we are adjoining open land), you need not worry about them on the grass.
Just don't plant foxgloves anywhere near a lawn or not at all in your garden. The other two are more pasture and roadside plants.
Buttercups are quite distinctive, so dig out any you find on the lawn or near it. Learn how their leaves look and look for similar ones nearby; they tend to see around around. Then eliminate them over the coming years by digging them out. All members of that family (ranunculacae) are not good for piggies and rabbits.

we’ve had a few ragwort that i (fingers crossed) manage to pull all out - if it grows back i’ll know i wasn’t successful lol! its more the smaller weeds and leaves growing in amongst the garden i think i’m worried about. thanks so much for the tips!

I have such a small shady garden that grass dies off in a couple of winters so I actually have to re-turf about every second year. But on the plus side it only takes 4 or 5 strips so it comes in at 25-30 quid. This year was the first time we had a problem: the explosive spring growth caused a bout of bloat in my big fluffy girl although the other 2 were completely fine. They get meadow grass all year round but it looks like the turf grass was somehow richer. She's OK on it now and has a little every day. But she is wary, and prefers the meadow grass (we actively search out plantain and dandelion and a tiny sprinkle of clover leaf to add to it!)

So why am I telling you all this? Well one option if you're panicking is to dig out everything - grass and weeds - on a small area and lay a few strips of turf to see how it goes? Might be easier than growing a tray indoors. Just keep it moist while the roots go down and keep the pigs off it until you see active growth which should be 4 or 5 days in good weather.

I have such a small shady garden that grass dies off in a couple of winters so I actually have to re-turf about every second year. But on the plus side it only takes 4 or 5 strips so it comes in at 25-30 quid. This year was the first time we had a problem: the explosive spring growth caused a bout of bloat in my big fluffy girl although the other 2 were completely fine. They get meadow grass all year round but it looks like the turf grass was somehow richer. She's OK on it now and has a little every day. But she is wary, and prefers the meadow grass (we actively search out plantain and dandelion and a tiny sprinkle of clover leaf to add to it!)

So why am I telling you all this? Well one option if you're panicking is to dig out everything - grass and weeds - on a small area and lay a few strips of turf to see how it goes? Might be easier than growing a tray indoors. Just keep it moist while the roots go down and keep the pigs off it until you see active growth which should be 4 or 5 days in good weather.

what a great idea! may have to ask and see if this would be allowed, thanks so much!

Back