Flying between the UK and the US

Reaction score
We're planning on moving to New York in the summer and we'd really like to bring the piggies with us. The problem is that from what we've heard guinea pigs don't usually like to travel by plane and it would be an 8 hour flight plus check in etc. Would there be any way to bring them over and are some airlines better than others.

I would speak to the airline but I think you may have to use a pet transport company rather than taking them with you on the flight.

I vaguely remember someone flying and having to move their piggies. If you do a search you may be able to find the thread.

We're planning on moving to New York in the summer and we'd really like to bring the piggies with us. The problem is that from what we've heard guinea pigs don't usually like to travel by plane and it would be an 8 hour flight plus check in etc. Would there be any way to bring them over and are some airlines better than others.

Hi

Please also check any possible quarantine and travel documentation etc. requirements on the UK and US government websites.

We had a piggy at the rescue who had come over a few years back, with his companion from the USA. He did really well, however he was getting older and had lost his companion when they had to return home, so they surrendered him to us.

Hi - we are doing the opposite - from NYC to the UK! Would be grateful if you could share any info you find it. The guides on this site are really old so not overly helpful in terms of current rules and providers. Good luck!

Hi - we are doing the opposite - from NYC to the UK! Would be grateful if you could share any info you find it. The guides on this site are really old so not overly helpful in terms of current rules and providers. Good luck!

The best thing is to check the government website for up to date information including quarantine.
Rules are changing all the time so it’s hard for us to keep guides updated

We've decided to return them to the rescue we originally bought them from because it's quite expensive to fly them over especially for 3 piggies and we don't think it's worth the stress they'll have during the trip.

I am very sorry that you have had to make that decision. It is sadly a very common outcome.

Back