• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fluid coming out of its mouth

• Thread starter Thread starter Christel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely sounds like anal impaction, when you get it out offer it to him to eat as thats what he'd do normally but impacted pigs can't. Try and get some food down him by mushing it/blending it/grating it.

Can you get him to drink by offering the water bottle or putting water on your finger/soaking fabric or something for him to lick/suck off? I got a baby to take water from a soaked cotton bud once because I didn't want to syringe feed him. Try offering it on a spoon too.

If it is only impaction this isn't a reason for having him put to sleep, I know its tough though and I can't see him :)

If he is dehydrated give him some Dialyrite or similar,make it up as per instructions on the packet,then syringe little and often.If you cannot get a syringe,use a dropper or even the handle of a teaspoon.When piggies are sick we have to improvise and not give up.You must get some food into him as his system will already be starting to break down.Piggies are grazers so cannot go long without food.

Oh how terribly sad and worring for you :'( How is the little fella now? Hope he's OK and perking up a bit :smitten: Sending lots of good wishes and piggy hugs :smitten: :-*

My heart goes out to you, its so heartbreaking when they are poorly. I do hope things may be improving for both of you. Sylvester knows how much you love him. Let us know how things are going.

Just an update.

Sylvester has just passed away, and I have just come back from his funeral.

He actually got better since his visit to the vet, and he was doing perfectly fine until I woke up in the morning and heard crying sounds. I took 1 look at him and saw him throwing up liquid, and there was a strange "clicking" sound in his mouth/throat.

I took him up, but he was very wet and probably exchausted from all this, and whispered in his ear I would always love him. I knew his time had come, and all I could do was to love him.

I packed him into a towel and hay, and 30 mins later he had passed away very quietly. Now Sylvester has met all his friends at Rainbow Bridge, and do not need to suffer anymore. I am heartbroken, but glad to know he is ok.

Anyone who wants to pray a little prayer for him are welcome to.

Sylvester. Aug 2003 - Nov 2007 :'(

I'm so sorry for your loss :'(
sweet dreams little man 0:)

Really sorry to hear Sylvester has gone to the bridge :-\
Have fun there gorgeous boy 0:) :smitten:

So sorry to hear about Sylvester!

Sleep peacefully little man, have fun with our Cuzzy! :smitten:

Louise
x

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and support.

I've had guinea pig half of my life, and right now, having none is very hard. Only one that has had a guinea pig knows how amazing little animals they truly are. So full of life, fun, and love.

Anyone wanting to hear how incredible they are, visit this link to see a baby piggy looking for its mum. It sounds sad at the same time you can hear its incredible noise :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wAgGo8A49ls&feature=related

You are right Christel. I'm relatively new to pigs but love them so much and will have them forever. What was I doing without pigs, I would have got them sooner if I would have known how great they were!

x

I'm so very sorry about your little Sylvester :'( :'( :'(, what a beautiful little guy he was :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
RIP Sylvester you'll be at the bridge playing with all your family members and i'm sure some from here will greet you as well, popcorn away little guy and have fun munching on all the lovely green grass 0:) 0:) 0:)
Hugs and piggie kisses from Duke to help comfort you :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back