• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fluid coming out of its mouth

• Thread starter Thread starter Christel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christel

Sylvester is 4 and eventhough I am aware of that guinea pigs cant vomit, why is my sylvester bringing up fluids?

My T-shirt is soaked in fluids from his mouth as he looks like he is choking =( I have lost many guinea pigs through my life and it is as sad every time.

My little Sylvester has lost a lot of weight recently, and my boyfriend whom I live with don't really like guinea pigs and dont understand how I can be attached to these wonderful animals.

I think it's Sylvester's time to go to Rainbow Bridge, it's just sad seeing him go and I don't like to potentially see him in pain. I live far from any city, in the countryside and there isnt a vet nearby and its midnight.

Pray a little pray for Sylvester will you :'(

I'm thinking of you , dont know what to suggest , other than cuddling him and talking to him.sx

Oh no is there no emergency vet you could call to get their opinion? I really dont know what to suggest but i hope the little fella pulls through and i'll pray for him :( xxxxxx

Thanks for your reply.

He is lying on me right now, hopefully making him feel a tiny bit better. He dont usually lye on his back and let me cuddle his tummy, so soemthing isnt right!

The distinctive smell from his mouth only reminds me of my other guinea pigs whom Ive lost as well to cancer etc .. aahh what a sad night and I am supposed to be at work in 7 hours.

Hi Christel,

Welcome to the forum. To me he sounds as if he is drooling which could mean his molars are too long. Is he showing an interest in food but not eating? Is there not an emergency vet and do you have any sloppy foods in? Perhaps mix some of his pellets (if he is on them) to make a paste or blend up some veggies for him, if you don't have a syringe you could try spoon feeding him while he is wrapped in a towel. I've found that works a treat for wriggly pigs.

Good luck with him, but personally I would get him to a vet as soon as you can.

Louise
x

Louise is right, if he isnt eating syringe or spoon feed something, do you have any vegetable baby food? But pellets in warm water are best, really hope he's ok x

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Hi Christel,

Welcome to the forum. To me he sounds as if he is drooling which could mean his molars are too long. Is he showing an interest in food but not eating? Is there not an emergency vet and do you have any sloppy foods in? Perhaps mix some of his pellets (if he is on them) to make a paste or blend up some veggies for him, if you don't have a syringe you could try spoon feeding him while he is wrapped in a towel. I've found that works a treat for wriggly pigs.

Good luck with him, but personally I would get him to a vet as soon as you can.

Louise
x

I'm afraid it's not drool. He would stand all curved and try to vomit alltho they arent supposed to be able to.. and then he would make a choking sound and i would see fluids coming out of his mouth and they have left white stains all over me. He was at the vet 10 days ago as his gut "stalled" as they called it. They gave him 2 injections. antibiotics and something to get his poops going again.

Yesterday..he was fine..hopping around squeeking. This morning, his eyes were all closed and his fur looked strange and he shows no interest in the world. It's just he has detorieted so quickly! and havent eaten or drank any in 1 day and he refuses to do so. He looks dehydrated.

I am worried that if i force him to drink etc..i will only prolonge his illness and discomfort.

Sorry to hear he is that bad. I don't know what to suggest now. :'( Poor little man. Maybe it is the end of the road for him. Sadly, as you know they go down hill so quickly and if he hasn't eaten for a day his little body will be shutting down.

Maybe just keep him comfortable is all you can do.

Hugs,

Louise
x

:) Does sound like dental probs, but if that distinctive smell is the one I imagine then rushing him to a vet or syringe feeding will only make his last few hours ones of agony and fighting you. I think you know whether his time has come or not :( I hope I've got the wrong pigture here but when mine are like this I just make them warm and comfortable unless they are obviously in pain.

If you feel he's up to taking syringed food and water then go for it- if he can get through tonight post where you are and we'll try and recommend a vet/rodentologist nearby :)

Well.

I know i am new here and all, but thanks for the support.

I will go off the PC now to give him my full attention.

I will update yous in the morning on how he is doing.

Good night everyone.

Sylvester looks gorgeous.
How's he doing this morning?
Anne.

He is a handsome boy,how is he this morning?,hopefully speak to you later... :)

He is adorable :smitten:
So sorry to read this, please let us know what happens :-\

Only just seen this post sounds exactly how my Murphy was last week. Bringing up fluid as if being sick. He was put on science recovery and given vitamin c drops for me to syringe feed him and now he is back to normal and eating on his own.

I didnt notice a funny smell when he heaved up the fluid so i dont know if your piggy has something else wrong too.

How is he today? :)

Oh no I just read this thread and am nearly in tears.... I feel so bad for you and poor lil Sylvester. :( :( :(
How is he today? I hope he is recovering...
Fingers and paws crossed or both of you.
Irene

It's been 24 hours since I wrote about Sylvester.

He made it thru the night and since I had to go to work, my boyfriend took care of him.

According to him, he hasn't eated much during the day and he hasnt made 1 poop in 10 hours! I'm not in a positiion to take him to a vet because of where I live and I dont even have a syringe! I am so worried about him :-\

Where do you work,is there no way you could get some advice...you should be able to get a syringe from a chemist...

He is absolutely beautiful.

But you must get to a vet. This is very important. Have a look at the recommended vet section on the forum.

Yeah you can get syringes from chemists. Also have you tried the PDSA? Not sure on your area, if you let us know then we can look it up for you. :)

Glad your little man made it through the night.

Louise
x

Hi, he's not pooping because he's not eating. If you can't get a syringe then chop veggies up- mine seem to go for strips of veg but try everything, grass and dandelions are good tempters too. Can you blend some veg for him and offer it on a spoon?

Soak the pellets from his dry mix and offer that...

Whereabouts are you? I think because he's got through last night and today you should see a vet.

He's going to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm in the UK for those of you who asked.

He's area "down there" is quite swollen as well.. I managed to gently pull out pooh that was stuck in there. Now there is white stuff coming out of his bum.. and the smell is horrendous :-\

He may have bowel cancer or testicular cancer because of the symptoms.. His eyes are very sunken in too which could be because of dehydration.

If he manages to pull throuh this night too, he would be the biggest little piggie fighter ever. A part of me thinks he wont as he hasnt eaten at all in 12 hours and by syringe feeding him, I will only keep blocking his system.

Sometimes the kindest thing to do is to let go, so if the vet suggests that tomorrow, then I will, eventhough it is heartbreaking. He is my last remaining guinea pig and I will miss him dearly.. :'(

Sounds as if he was impacted, one of mine has had this trouble with his bum, did you get it all out? I know it smells horrible but he'll be very uncomfortable if it's stuck there. Can you not give him fluid and food at all? I know what you mean about letting go but at the same time it's best that you try to get him better because he made it through a whole day :-\ what do you mean about blocking his system? x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back