finally the day has come! (shelter and hutch)

Try and get those with two exits. You’re doing well. I hope you’re in dream land and not worrying too much about them ☺️

will do! maybe the wooden bridges you can get, i used to have these for my previous girls!

Given you don’t have a cover for the run part, you’ve done the right thing by covering it if it is go into be chilly where you are tonight. Have you had chance to get a thermometer in there?
You probably won’t need a duvet for long. I’ve not got my hutch covers down at all tonight but I know my shed is definitely warm enough and my piggies aren’t youngsters.
I take covers off when I go out to feed/let out etc. This can be anywhere from 6.30-8.00am.

Its difficult to know what to do for the best given they are in different places. Personally this is why I prefer large single level hutches because they can get away from each other but not be totally separate if there is a risk that they can’t/won’t use ramps. I know you say one has gone down already but down and up are two different things .

hi sorry to ask another question! just checked the temp this morning and its around 8 degrees, not getting past 15 till 12pm, is it still okay to take off the duvet and roll up the thermal cover this morning, while its still colder than 15 degrees? i don’t know if its different in the mornings because it warms up whereas as night it gets colder!

I don’t really look at my thermometer anymore. If it’s really cold I remove the duvet and leave a see through plastic cover over the front so they can see out but still have something protecting them from any drafts. Then I will warm up their heat pads. I’ve stopped heat pads in the day now. I just use them at night now as it’s getting a little warmer.

I would remove the covers. The only times I keep covers down during the day is if it is absolutely bitterly freezing in mid winter.
I think you’ve said they have always been outside so while it is chilly and youngsters are more susceptible to the cold, it’s not a dreadful shock to them plus they are in your shelter so protected.

I don’t really look at my thermometer anymore. If it’s really cold I remove the duvet and leave a see through plastic cover over the front so they can see out but still have something protecting them from any drafts. Then I will warm up their heat pads. I’ve stopped heat pads in the day now. I just use them at night now as it’s getting a little warmer.

thanks! do you have any recommendations where i can get this see through plastic from? i’ve seen pictures but never know where to look!

I would remove the covers. The only times I keep covers down during the day is if it is absolutely bitterly freezing in mid winter.
I think you’ve said they have always been outside so while it is chilly and youngsters are more susceptible to the cold, it’s not a dreadful shock to them plus they are in your shelter so protected.

thanks! what about the door, is that also okay to keep open from the time the covers come off, letting more light in etc? of corse!

thanks! what about the door, is that also okay to keep open from the time the covers come off, letting more light in etc? of corse!

if its considerably colder outside than in the shed then it might be wise to keep the door at least partially closed for a little further into the day once you’ve taken the covers off. I would open if a little though for light and ventilation

My boys haven’t had their covers down last night but they are of course older and used to being out and my shed is warmer than yours is showing. I have a stable doors with internal mesh doors and at the moment theirs is half and half - solid bottom half and mesh top half so it is ventilating but not draughty but mine is also in sunlight so it warms up so quickly (which is also why I have issues keeping them cool - works fabulously in winter to keep them warm but a nightmare in summer!)

You will find the balance and how your shed works over time. I remember being terrified when mine were new that they would be cold etc but I’m a lot more relaxed now I know what temperatures outside causes the inside temperatures to do.

if its considerably colder outside than in the shed then it might be wise to keep the door at least partially closed for a little further into the day once you’ve taken the covers off. I would open if a little though for light and ventilation

My boys haven’t had their covers down last night but they are of course older and used to being out and my shed is warmer than yours is showing. I have a stable doors with internal mesh doors and at the moment theirs is half and half - solid bottom half and mesh top half so it is ventilating but not draughty but mine is also in sunlight so it warms up so quickly (which is also why I have issues keeping them cool - works fabulously in winter to keep them warm but a nightmare in summer!)

You will find the balance and how your shed works over time. I remember being terrified when mine were new that they would be cold etc but I’m a lot more relaxed now I know what temperatures outside causes the inside temperatures to do.

okay! thanks so much, like you say as time goes on ill start to relax a bit, well hopefully!🤣

You will! It’s so very new at the moment.

How have you found them this morning? Are they both together or is one still up and one down?

still separate☹️ they haven’t moved at all by the looks of it, no veg has been eaten, food and water hasn’t gone either, should i be concerned? i know they will be very vary and shy to begin with but i still want them to be eating and drinking properly!

Ok, I would put them together now - if they can’t find the other and havent attempted to, then they may be too scared to try/can’t figure out the ramp.
I would put them both downstairs and cover the entire floor area with hay including inside the hides (if you haven’t already done so), so they can eat freely wherever they are if they choose not to come out of hides etc

You may never notice the water going down considerably though as they will get water from their veg.

Ok, I would put them together now - if they can’t find the other and havent attempted to, then they may be too scared to try/can’t figure out the ramp.
I would put them both downstairs and cover the entire floor area with hay including inside the hides (if you haven’t already done so), so they can eat freely wherever they are if they choose not to come out of hides etc

You may never notice the water going down considerably though as they will get water from their veg.

okay so this morning i am off out to grab another food bowl and waterbottle so theres 1 on each floor, once we’ve got them ill see if they’ve moved and if not do what you’ve said and put them both down the stairs together. i’ve also taken out the old veg they didn’t touch so it doesn’t go manky, maybe ill do two rounds of smaller amounts of veg today, i have read that celery has to be cut in a certain way, is this true and if so how should i cut it? thinking that will hold a fair bit of water!

okay so this morning i am off out to grab another food bowl and waterbottle so theres 1 on each floor, once we’ve got them ill see if they’ve moved and if not do what you’ve said and put them both down the stairs together. i’ve also taken out the old veg they didn’t touch so it doesn’t go manky, maybe ill do two rounds of smaller amounts of veg today, i have read that celery has to be cut in a certain way, is this true and if so how should i cut it? thinking that will hold a fair bit of water!

One up and one down is fine but I would personally put both bowls/all food downstairs.
It’ll take a little time to figure out but if one chooses not to use the ramp and the other does, then you’ve got one piggy who is going to be able to run around and eat everything and the piggy who won’t get their share.

I don’t tend to feed celery a lot but I cut it across so they make little half moons. I personally give cucumber for the water content.

My garage was 12 degrees this morning. I was curious as I never check. They didn’t have the duvet last night. I keep the garage door shut unless it’s nice and warm. Yesterday was gorgeous so it was open all day.

The plastic is a very large bag that had hay in it. When I used up the hay I cut the bag and it works great on the very cold weather as obviously I can’t leave the duvet on all day or they’d get no light.

One up and one down is fine but I would personally put both bowls/all food downstairs.
It’ll take a little time to figure out but if one chooses not to use the ramp and the other does, then you’ve got one piggy who is going to be able to run around and eat everything and the piggy who won’t get their share.

I don’t tend to feed celery a lot but I cut it across so they make little half moons. I personally give cucumber for the water content.

okay will do! thanks so much

My garage was 12 degrees this morning. I was curious as I never check. They didn’t have the duvet last night. I keep the garage door shut unless it’s nice and warm. Yesterday was gorgeous so it was open all day.

The plastic is a very large bag that had hay in it. When I used up the hay I cut the bag and it works great on the very cold weather as obviously I can’t leave the duvet on all day or they’d get no light.

thanks and of corse!

Reusing a hay bag is a brilliant idea.
You might also be able to buy a clear tarpaulin, Amazon maybe, if you can get such a bag
I previously bought clear plastic sheeting off the roll from a garden centre (i used it to line their hutch to protect the wood and have used it as a floor protection for when they come indoors in their c&c) so that might be a possibility also

Reusing a hay bag is a brilliant idea.
You might also be able to buy a clear tarpaulin, Amazon maybe, if you can get such a bag
I previously bought clear plastic sheeting off the roll from a garden centre (i used it to line their hutch to protect the wood and have used it as a floor protection for when they come indoors in their c&c) so that might be a possibility also

fabulous thankyou!

just moved her down the stairs with her sister, put loads more hay in there, hopefully being together they get the courage to investigate a bit more!

tell me about it lol! as soon as we’ve got the space they will be indoor piggies😝
Ha ha, I still don’t have space for indoor piggies, instead of a lounge carpet I have a C&C cage 😂. They only went there for an evening 5 or 6 years ago as we needed room in the kids playroom/dining room for something one day. There they stayed 😂

Looking forward to seeing your girls when they’re settled.
It does take time and patience.
They sound as if they’ve landed on their paws with you and will have a wonderful home.

Ha ha, I still don’t have space for indoor piggies, instead of a lounge carpet I have a C&C cage 😂. They only went there for an evening 5 or 6 years ago as we needed room in the kids playroom/dining room for something one day. There they stayed 😂

haha who needs a carpet!🤣 guinea pig takeover!😝

Looking forward to seeing your girls when they’re settled.
It does take time and patience.
They sound as if they’ve landed on their paws with you and will have a wonderful home.

yes i will get lots of pics and introduce them both to you all when they are settled. of corse, aw thankyou so much, they are my world already and i love them so much😊

Back