finally the day has come! (shelter and hutch)

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
on our way to get my babies!:luv:

heres a few photos of their shelter and hutch, the door opens up and can be held back to make a wall so in the day it can be opened and then shut at night for security. the platform the hutch is sat on is in halves, so the front half can be removed for easier cleaning and access to the back half - it is held up in the middle and on wooden lips either side. plenty of storage underneath for boxes containing all piggie bits. multiple hides, piles of hay and a few toys to play with. i hope this is okay for my new babies, any questions/ suggestions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Attachments

• 86DDF9F4-2503-4F62-9AB3-17D717FDE00E.webp
    86DDF9F4-2503-4F62-9AB3-17D717FDE00E.webp
    104.1 KB · Views: 24
  • E53F2C9F-B433-4893-8F24-AD6C771B3205.webp
    E53F2C9F-B433-4893-8F24-AD6C771B3205.webp
    170.7 KB · Views: 18
  • F57D1A5F-1574-43F3-926C-06FAA1BC4223.webp
    F57D1A5F-1574-43F3-926C-06FAA1BC4223.webp
    86.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 0F14F55B-9F97-4676-A096-955FD15FB85C.webp
    0F14F55B-9F97-4676-A096-955FD15FB85C.webp
    80 KB · Views: 23
  • 68AAC603-9000-4FE6-B430-13D46D3FC89C.webp
    68AAC603-9000-4FE6-B430-13D46D3FC89C.webp
    99.2 KB · Views: 25
Looks really good! It’ll do a really good job of protecting them from the elements.

Just a few points that will help going forward.

I’d add lots and lots of hay for outdoor piggies to snuggle into - not just in the bedroom area.

All your hides only have one exit. Two exit hides are best as with only a single door there is a risk one piggy can get cornered inside by the other and this is where there is a risk of defensive injuries occurring. You may find you need to replace the hides with two exit hideys by the time they hit their teens.

It looks like you’ve only got one water bottle. Its best to have as many items (every item) as you have piggies, so do get another bottle and ensure it is put in the downstairs area (actually, I’d put two in the downstairs area and one upstairs).

It’s only the downstairs area which counts towards their living space (upper levels as bonus spaces only), and I’m not sure on the measurements of the top part of the hutch (I’m imagining it’s not very big but I know the website doesn’t show the measurements for just the top and only gives the downstairs area measurements) so it may be they cant be locked in the top half at all.

Last edited:
What does the bottom half measure? You will likely have to make a cover for the bottom half. Unless the cover you have also covers the bottom in which case you’re fine. Do you also have heat pads? Have the piggies been living in- or outside

Looks really good! It’ll do a really good job of protecting them from the elements.

Just a few points that will help going forward.

I’d add lots and lots of hay for outdoor piggies to snuggle into - not just in the bedroom area.

All your hides only have one exit. Two exit hides are best as with only a single door there is a risk one piggy can get cornered inside by the other and this is where there is a risk of defensive injuries occurring. You may find you need to replace the hides with two exit hideys by the time they hit their teens.

It looks like you’ve only got one water bottle. Its best to have as many items (every item) as you have piggies, so do get another bottle and ensure it is put in the downstairs area (actually, I’d put two in the downstairs area and one upstairs).

It’s only the downstairs area which counts towards their living space (upper levels as bonus spaces only), and I’m not sure on the measurements of the top part of the hutch (I’m imagining it’s not very big but I know the website doesn’t show the measurements for just the top and only gives the downstairs area measurements) so it may be they cant be locked in the top half at all.
will definitely do that! i see ill definitely get some two exit hides then, sorry i didn’t realise! ill definitely get another bottle too!
yes so we decided because its now in the shed we don’t actually need a ‘trap door’ separating them, they will have free roam 24/7!

What does the bottom half measure? You will likely have to make a cover for the bottom half. Unless the cover you have also covers the bottom in which case you’re fine. Do you also have heat pads? Have the piggies been living in- or outside
oh really? is this to keep it warm enough? pets at home don’t sell a cover that fits the run too unfortunately, i will get heat pads! they have been living outside x

A lot of people don’t know to get two exit hides, and let’s face it, pet shops sell the single ones so nobody would think anything of it. Definitely important though.

It’s good you don’t plan on shutting the trap door for space reasons, but it does mean the run part will need to be kept just as warm as the top part. If you can’t get the actual cover, then throwing a tarpaulin with blankets underneath of the run part will work just as well. As you have the protection of the shed from the elements, you are just looking to keep warm air in and cold air out as much as possible. It’s going to be much less of an issue from now on though given it is hopefully warming up (you may find a blanket over the run will do for the next few weeks) but it’ll give you time to think about next autumn/winter when measures will become important.
The heatpads don’t warm the air but they do provide somewhere for them to sit. Pop then under the hides, stuff the hides with hay and the piggies will have plenty of places to be cosy whether they choose to stay in the downstairs part or go upstairs.
I have four heatpads between my two boys. It takes an absolute age to heat them all up but it’s worth it knowing they have plenty of warm spots all night during winter.

A lot of people don’t know to get two exit hides, and let’s face it, pet shops sell the single ones so nobody would think anything of it. Definitely important though.

It’s good you don’t plan on shutting the trap door for space reasons, but it does mean the run part will need to be kept just as warm as the top part. If you can’t get the actual cover, then throwing a tarpaulin with blankets underneath of the run part will work just as well. As you have the protection of the shed from the elements, you are just looking to keep warm air in and cold air out as much as possible. It’s going to be much less of an issue from now on though given it is hopefully warming up (you may find a blanket over the run will do for the next few weeks) but it’ll give you time to think about next autumn/winter when measures will become important.
The heatpads don’t warm the air but they do provide somewhere for them to sit. Pop then under the hides, stuff the hides with hay and the piggies will have plenty of places to be cosy whether they choose to stay in the downstairs part or go upstairs.
I have four heatpads between my two boys. It takes an absolute age to heat them all up but it’s worth it knowing they have plenty of warm spots all night during winter.
silly isn’t it, you’d think they would know!

okay i’ll grab some tarp, will any blanket do? should it be a duvet in the winter? ill definitely get a head pad too!

silly isn’t it, you’d think they would know!

okay i’ll grab some tarp, will any blanket do? should it be a duvet in the winter? ill definitely get a head pad too!

There are so many things which pet shops sell are either unsafe or not recommended - they are in it for profit though.

I use fleece blankets under my hutch covers, and then a duvet on top in mid winter (so it goes thermal cover (no front), two fleece blankets (over top, sides and front), hutch cover, duvet). I add measures (including the heatpads) incrementally as the temperature drops

we’ve put a fairly thick duvet over the run part to help keep the warmth in, as well as more hay piles. i’m a bit concerned as one is down the stairs not seeming to be going in any of the hides or hay piles, i don’t want her to be out all night, she would be able to figure out these things provide warmth won’t she? her sister is upstairs in the sleeping area of the hutch, i’m hoping they will both investigate a bit throughout the night after being left alone. put in some lettuce and peppers for tonight so will check if its gone tomorrow. will be out first thing tomorrow morning to check on them, when will be the best time to take the duvet off? i don’t want to leave it on too long and it get too hot! bless them both i wish i could stay out with them!

There are so many things which pet shops sell are either unsafe or not recommended - they are in it for profit though.

I use fleece blankets under my hutch covers, and then a duvet on top in mid winter (so it goes thermal cover (no front), two fleece blankets (over top, sides and front), hutch cover, duvet). I add measures (including the heatpads) incrementally as the temperature drops

i know it’s awful! thanks for the information!

I used to take the duvet off at about 8am. I’m not using it at the moment as its warmed up a bit.

I used to take the duvet off at about 8am. I’m not using it at the moment as its warmed up a bit.

does your hutch have a cover over the whole thing? mine only has one over the top bit of the hutch, and one of my girls is currently down the stairs so i don’t want her to get too cold!

Attachments

• E1A87FF6-5E38-44C3-BE5D-4C214A494A71.webp
    E1A87FF6-5E38-44C3-BE5D-4C214A494A71.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 12
Given you don’t have a cover for the run part, you’ve done the right thing by covering it if it is go into be chilly where you are tonight. Have you had chance to get a thermometer in there?
You probably won’t need a duvet for long. I’ve not got my hutch covers down at all tonight but I know my shed is definitely warm enough and my piggies aren’t youngsters.
I take covers off when I go out to feed/let out etc. This can be anywhere from 6.30-8.00am.

Its difficult to know what to do for the best given they are in different places. Personally this is why I prefer large single level hutches because they can get away from each other but not be totally separate if there is a risk that they can’t/won’t use ramps. I know you say one has gone down already but down and up are two different things .

Given you don’t have a cover for the run part, you’ve done the right thing by covering it if it is go into be chilly where you are tonight. Have you had chance to get a thermometer in there?
You probably won’t need a duvet for long. I’ve not got my hutch covers down at all tonight but I know my shed is definitely warm enough and my piggies aren’t youngsters.
I take covers off when I go out to feed/let out etc. This can be anywhere from 6.30-8.00am.

Its difficult to know what to do for the best given they are in different places. Personally this is why I prefer large single level hutches because they can get away from each other but not be totally separate if there is a risk that they can’t/won’t use ramps. I know you say one has gone down already but down and up are two different things .

yes iv got a thermometer up! its saying its about 15 degrees in the shed, about 3 degrees up from the actual temperature, i’m hoping the duvet will be enough. okay i’ll probably leave it till about 8am when it starts to warm up again. yes i completely understand that, i’m hoping (as i have mentioned before sorry if it was a reply to you lol) that once i can handle them, i can teach them to use the ramp, if not, well we will cross that bridge IF it comes to it lol! fingers crossed🤞🏻

yes iv got a thermometer up! its saying its about 15 degrees in the shed, about 3 degrees up from the actual temperature, i’m hoping the duvet will be enough. okay i’ll probably leave it till about 8am when it starts to warm up again. yes i completely understand that, i’m hoping (as i have mentioned before sorry if it was a reply to you lol) that once i can handle them, i can teach them to use the ramp, if not, well we will cross that bridge IF it comes to it lol! fingers crossed🤞🏻

15 is their bottom limit, so I would leave it on.

Yep, youll have to see how things go with the ramp.
Is the ramp just plain wood? If so, then that will put a lot of piggies off using it as they are usually too slippery. I covered my ramps with vetbed which I use Velcro to attach. That way I could remove it to wash but the vetbed provided grip. (i dong actually use both levels of the hutch now)

Can you pop her upstairs just for this evening so they are together.

I had to “teach” my two to use the ramp. They didn’t use it for two weeks and I thought this is silly so I kind of encouraged them use it. Give them time to settle though.

Also are those pink pigloos downstairs? I have pigloos that I use to carry them in for playtime or to the vets separately. But I don’t leave them in the hutch all of the time as I had two piggies fall out big time over a pigloo a few years ago. I will NEVER let two piggies in one pigloo again. EVER. I will just say there was a lot of blood ☹️

Oh and another factor with pigloos (as well as them being single exit) is that they will get exceedingly hot inside in summer with them being made of plastic and will likely cause damp and condensation in winter (cold air and warm piggies). Basically, outdoor piggies are better off with wooden hides.

15 is their bottom limit, so I would leave it on.

Yep, youll have to see how things go with the ramp.
Is the ramp just plain wood? If so, then that will put a lot of piggies off using it as they are usually too slippery. I covered my ramps with vetbed which I use Velcro to attach. That way I could remove it to wash but the vetbed provided grip. (i dong actually use both levels of the hutch now)

i will do! yes it is, ill look into that, thanks!

Can you pop her upstairs just for this evening so they are together.

I had to “teach” my two to use the ramp. They didn’t use it for two weeks and I thought this is silly so I kind of encouraged them use it. Give them time to settle though.

Also are those pink pigloos downstairs? I have pigloos that I use to carry them in for playtime or to the vets separately. But I don’t leave them in the hutch all of the time as I had two piggies fall out big time over a pigloo a few years ago. I will NEVER let two piggies in one pigloo again. EVER. I will just say there was a lot of blood ☹️

i wasn’t sure wether to or not as i didn’t want to freak her out so i’ve just left her too it, there’s plenty of hideys and hay for warmth, i’m hoping she might even make her way up over night! yes i definitely will, this was my plan. oh no that sounds horrible i hope they where okay!🥺

Oh and another factor with pigloos (as well as them being single exit) is that they will get exceedingly hot inside in summer with them being made of plastic and will likely cause damp and condensation in winter (cold air and warm piggies). Basically, outdoor piggies are better off with wooden hides.

ah i see! i’ll get some more wooden ones then, thankyou!

Back