Farm hay

I buy bales of horse hay for mine, I go through a bale every 2 weeks so it's a necessity now! Make sure you ask if the field is ragwort free and not sprayed or fertilised. When inspecting the bales they should be green and fresh smelling, like walking in a field. Avoid anything musty smelling as its likely mouldy. Make sure its been stored inside or under cover so it hasn't been rained on, damp hay = mould. Give the bale a bit of a slap on top to see how much, if any, dust flies up and dig your fingers down into it to check for damp areas.

I find my allergies fare much better the more local the hay is. My latest bales as an example.

20220123_203057.webp

I buy bales of horse hay for mine, I go through a bale every 2 weeks so it's a necessity now! Make sure you ask if the field is ragwort free and not sprayed or fertilised. When inspecting the bales they should be green and fresh smelling, like walking in a field. Avoid anything musty smelling as its likely mouldy. Make sure its been stored inside or under cover so it hasn't been rained on, damp hay = mould. Give the bale a bit of a slap on top to see how much, if any, dust flies up and dig your fingers down into it to check for damp areas.

I find my allergies fare much better the more local the hay is. My latest bales as an example.

View attachment 194604
wow that's alot of hay! Thank you so much, your reply is very helpful. I'll keep this all in mind when I go to the farm:)

If anyone here has gonnen a bale of Timothy hay before, how much did it cost? The owner of the farm said to just pay as much as I want as a donation to the farm but I don't want to pay too little.

I just got back from the farm and i wanted to know if this looks like its good quality. It mostly smells like horses not sweet, but it doesent smell moudly.

Attachments

• 20220124_140538.webp
    20220124_140538.webp
    133.7 KB · Views: 11
That looks great. I pay 5 pounds for a bale. Get through one a month with 6 rabbits and 3 guinea pigs.

It looks nice to me! I usually pay about £3.50-£4 for a bale, but that's meadow hay, over here Timothy is less available so more expensive.

Back