Dumped Cornwall piggies - What happened next

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember all the drama about the little piggy family living rough in Cornwall that @Bill & Ted took several days to catch in late August?
Three guinea pigs have been dumped near me

Well, here is the next chapter in their story...

After having another relentless stampede to the Rainbow Bridge and no longer coping well with it all, I did give in to temptation and enquired at the shelter whether Maria would consider rehoming the three dumped piggies together, provided - and it was a big proviso since I am definitely not fit to travel that far - that transport from Cornwall to the West Midlands could be arranged whenever the piggies were ready for adoption. As rescue coordinator for Guinea Pig Magazine I have been aware of their quite desperate situation for a while now and was in no doubt whatsoever that the group would have very little chance of finding a home together (or even split up), especially in the current circumstances.

One thing let to another, not least because of the two babies that had arrived in September, and I ended up adopting the whole lot, lock, stock and barrel; much, much sooner than planned, including more possible babies.

The family with the daughter's two tiny babies at the rescue
Maria's - Ruffles Peggy and Dolly with pups-1_edited-1.jpg

My huge thanks go to @Bill & Ted and her hub without whose help the whole thing would not have been possible and who not only did the first leg of the transport as promised but did actually bring all five piggies the all the way up on 8th October. I hope that @Bill & Ted has enjoyed seeing the future home of the piggies she rescued and being allowed to cuddle a number of Tribe piggies - I have certainly enjoyed meeting her in person and having a long nonstop chat!

It was quite a scramble and a fight with my Long Covid to get everything ready and set up in time with me syringe feeding around the clock and then having to pts Dylan on the Friday and having to bury him just hours before the big delivery on the Saturday.

The newly arrived family settling in with mummy Millyn on the left, ginger dad and granny (pregnant again) at the top. The tiny white fluff ball is a girl and the ginger aby with the white pants a boy with their new Tribe names.
I am going with a flower theme for any girls and a bird theme for the boys - that will give me enough wiggle room for any further arrivals.

DSCN4582_edited-2.jpg

Cai's sudden death right in the middle of the family settling in and me trying to work out the best way forward for Boncath 'Buzzard', the little baby son (who was around separation age but still small enough to stay on a week longer) and the by then definitely highly pregnant matriarch contracting an eye injury (which is healing well) have made for another turbulent week. Thankfully, Tudur and Heilin did bond with Carys and Tegeirian after Dylan's widows were a fail earlier in the weel to free up an urgently needed extra baby boar creche cage.

One last family line up before dad (who was neutered shortly after his arrival in rescue) and son had to leave the girls. Barcud 'Red Kite' will return to the family once all sons of his are sorted out.
DSCN6476_edited-1.jpg

Gentle Modron, the granny on the right, has gone from possibly pregnant to definitely preggers since I started the process and is now filling out quite quickly so things are going to get rather exciting again in the coming days. Please keep your fingers firmly crossed that all goes well for mother and pups!

The family are still showing the physical signs of their ordeal: They are all smaller and thinner than they should be even though they were thankfully not in the worst of states on their arrival in rescue.
But the babies are also very small, especially little Blodwen 'White Flower' since shy mum Millyn 'Sweet Violet' (who is very small and thin herself) obviously didn't have lots of milk so soon after her arrival in rescue and had already dried up by the time she came here. They will all take some months to catch up but all are doing well and are putting on weight nicely.

Wow Wiebke! How lovely that they can all stay together and have a wonderful life with you and your other piggies. Thanks too to 'Bill and Ted' for the hard work and transport. I love happy endings and look forward to seeing lots more pics as they grow.
Hope you begin to feel much better soon x

Isn’t it wonderful news :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:I couldn’t be happier for them!

After we caught them and handed them into Maria’s animal shelter I really thought their future as a family was probably over and they would all be split up. I didn’t think we would actually see them again, which felt quite sad. How wrong could I have been, it’s amazing that Wibke has taken them in and I’ll be able to read their updates, I couldn’t be happier, thank you so much Wiebke

It was a pleasure to bring them up to @Wiebke as I knew they would have a lovely home and become members of “the tribe”. Thank you for a super afternoon with your piggies, I got lots of cuddles! and for a yummy lunch too x

I cannot wait now for the arrival of Modron’s babies, it’s all so exciting 😊

PS: As Maria has told me, their place have been taken by 6 skinnies whose owner can no longer afford to pay for hay and food as the next urgent case on their waiting list of over 100 piggies looking for a rescue surrender... :(

PS: As Maria has told me, their place have been taken by 6 skinnies whose owner can no longer afford to pay for hay and food as the next urgent case on their waiting list of over 100 piggies looking for a rescue surrender... :(
Such a shame! Maria’s like most rescues are really struggling, they have a huge waiting list for incoming rabbits and piggies 🤨 There are some beautiful piggies needing adoption but sadly some have been there for quite a while now

It’s wonderful news, isn’t it 😄

After a really horrible time here piggie wise lately it's really lifted my spirits. My heart is singing. After a horrible start in life those piggies are in the most amazing home.

Well done to you and hubby for not only rescuing them but driving them all that way.

After a really horrible time here piggie wise lately it's really lifted my spirits. My heart is singing. After a horrible start in life those piggies are in the most amazing home.

Well done to you and hubby for not only rescuing them but driving them all that way.

@Bill & Ted and her hub are my heros because without them getting the piggies out of Cornwall, the whole adoption scheme would have been dead in the water. I've been liaising with Bill & Ted right from the start in order to bring it off.
Maria had been wanting me to visit her rescue for a while now, so I was pretty sure that she would be happy about my adoption request; especially under the circumstances. The big hurdle was organising transport over such a distance.

PS: Serendipitously, Coventry were playing Mr. Bill & Ted's favourite football team from up North that afternoon, so all of a sudden it was not quite such a big problem of driving that far! Everybody has got something out of it, including a homemade dinner and freshly baked chocolate muffins to take to the match... :D

What a wonderful end to this story. They have all fallen on their paws with you @Wiebke.

Thanks for making it happen @Bill & Ted.

Only that for me it is not the end but just the start of my own story with the family, and most definitely just a new chapter for the family themselves... :D

I am so chuffed that the ginger and white family have made it to you @Wiebke They are going to have the best life and I look forward to meeting them one day. They couldn’t have asked for a better home and it’s just lovely that the family get to stay together 😍❤️ After all the recent upset, it’s the best news ever

Thank you @Bill & Ted for making it happen xx

@Bill & Ted and her hub are my heros because without them getting the piggies out of Cornwall, the whole adoption scheme would have been dead in the water. I've been liaising with Bill & Ted right from the start in order to bring it off. Maria had been wanting me to visit the rescue and to adopt from her for a while now, so I was pretty sure that she would be happy about my adoption request; the big hurdle was organising transport.

PS: Serendipitously, Coventry were playing Mr. Bill & Ted's favourite football team from up North that afternoon, so all of a sudden it was not quite such a big problem of driving that far! Everybody has got something out of it, including a homemade dinner and chocolate muffins to take to the match... :D
😆 Yes, it was worth the journey just for the lovely grub 😋 and Burnley won which was an added bonus for OH! 😆 Seriously though I am so grateful to Wiebke for taking them in, it’s a big responsibility but I hope they will bring her some joy after such sad times lately :hug:

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, what absolutely amazing news, totally made my day too! :luv: I’ve been wondering about this beautiful family and what would happen with them since @Bill & Ted found them, so pleased they’ve come to you @Wiebke!:hug:Especially as I can see pictures of them on here then too as I was rather smitten, such a gorgeous little group of brave piglets!
Hope all goes well for Modron with her pregnancy and birth, her and her family couldn’t be in a better home than with you @Wiebke! xx

Oh my goodness, what absolutely amazing news, totally made my day too! :luv: I’ve been wondering about this beautiful family and what would happen with them since @Bill & Ted found them, so pleased they’ve come to you @Wiebke!:hug:Especially as I can see pictures of them on here then too as I was rather smitten, such a gorgeous little group of brave piglets!
Hope all goes well for Modron with her pregnancy and birth, her and her family couldn’t be in a better home than with you @Wiebke! xx
I hope you aren’t cross with me for not letting you into our “little secret” Becci, I’ve been bursting to tell you! But I thought it was only fair for @Wiebke to announce the wonderful news when she was good and ready x

I hope you aren’t cross with me for not letting you into our “little secret” Becci, I’ve been bursting to tell you! But I thought it was only fair for @Wiebke to announce the wonderful news when she was good and ready x
Haha no of course not, totally chuffed for you and the piggies they’ve got such a great home! :D:love:
I was kind of expecting a msg from you saying you’d adopted a pair from the group yourself to be honest, especially as they could have been Ginger’s long lost family and I knew you loved them too! :)):wub::wub: Yay, such lovely news! x

It’s just the lovely story we all need - the world is going thru a difficult time so we need lovely news -
Bill & Ted you are amazing as without you this little family would not have got to their forever perfect home.
Wiebke I hope you feel better soon and thank you for taking this little family on and for everything you do for guinea piggies. You are all inspirational people 🥰

Back