• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dock leaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Are dock leaves poisonous to piggies. My mum has just fed them an enormous one and I'm worried as they are not mentioned on any of the lists of food piggies can eat.. :...

Rancor x

I think it's on the "questionable" list...will keep trying to find out for you.

Docks

Although it says not to feed them on a lot of sites I've heard that they're ok as long as they haven't flowered (and it's too early for them to have done that yet). I looked into it myself after one of mine went on the rampage two weeks ago and demolished a sizable plant....he's still here and there didn't appear to be any the worst for wear .... so you can breathe easy

I was wondering about dock too cos from looking at this site’s list of food to eat and not eat, it seems to be listed in the ‘not to eat’ category but I noticed in Peter Gurney’s book that he’d suggested it as good to eat.
p090.gif
If it’s good for them I’ll feed mine on it, it’s a common readily available plant afterall.
a050.gif

The overall view does seem to be that young, fresh, green dock leaves are safe, but the older leaves are possibly toxic.
I would not take any chances.

The problem is you would have to feed some unfortunate pig nothing but dock leaves for a while and see if there is a quantity which causes poisoning and then death.

Would you use one of your own pigs to see if dock leaves may be fatal?

"It could save the lives of many more though."

Is testing stuff on guinea pigs banned nowadays?
a040.gif
They still do it with rats and monkeys don't they?

Whilst the trend is to move away from using animals in drug tests etc rodents are still being used.
Vedra's former place at Alconbury was only a few minutes away from the Huntingdon Life Sciences Laboratories which used to be in the headlines quite frequently because they were/are a major centre for animal experiments. I found it impossible to drive past without thinking about the "inmates" compared to those animals just up the road at the CCT.

I would never feed dock leaves just recently four guinea pigs have been at my vets seriously ill having been fed them. They are in enormous pain and it is touch and go whether they will survive.

I would never feed dock leaves just recently four guinea pigs have been at my vets seriously ill having been fed them. They are in enormous pain and it is touch and go whether they will survive.
Someone better tell Peter Gurney that, his book says they're alright.
wobblyeyes.gif

If I know there is even a chance of it being poisonous, why risk the life of a pig when there is so much more safe stuff available like plantain? :)

I honestly can't imagine wanting to feed a pig a toxic food until it dies in the name of research, no matter how many lives it could potentially save - if there is a risk at all then surely it's better to simply avoid rather than killing an animal to prove it? :(

If I know there is even a chance of it being poisonous, why risk the life of a pig when there is so much more safe stuff available like plantain? :)

I honestly can't imagine wanting to feed a pig a toxic food until it dies in the name of research, no matter how many lives it could potentially save - if there is a risk at all then surely it's better to simply avoid rather than killing an animal to prove it? :(

I agree totally. There is simply no need. Guineas love plantain and dandilion leaves and grass plus many many other things. Surely doc leaves aren't necessary.

I'd never known that, I threw it in with grass and dandelions for years to bulk it up.

they were almost invariably left at the end, so I suppose if there's something even a guinea pig won't eat it must be bad!

My guinea pig tried to eat paper the other day. but not dock.

Is testing stuff on guinea pigs banned nowadays?
a040.gif
They still do it with rats and monkeys don't they?

Medical research still uses guinea pigs (and other animals) when there is absolutely no other alternative. This is regulated very strictly with tight guidelines so that no unneccesary loss of life occurs.

I still don't like the idea of any animals being used in this way (and I used to be a scientist).

I certainly wouldn't want to use any poor guinea pig-as a guinea pig-to see if they're toxic to dock leaves. I can't believe that, as a guinea pig owner, you actually think that that would be ok! mallethead

"no unneccesary loss of life occurs"

How about no unnecessary suffering?

Let's not turn this thread into a debate about animal testing..

I believe PG's book was written a few years ago now? Every day we guinea pig owners are learning new things about caring for our animals and if the recent research suggests even a whiff that something may be bad for my guineas, I don't do it. Steer clear of dock leaves and stick to what you know, it would be unimaginable to lose a pig because of poisoning :(

"Let's not turn this thread into a debate about animal testing.."

Nobody is, unless..........

I'd never known that, I threw it in with grass and dandelions for years to bulk it up.
& that's why I think research is needed because people can give animals stuff with no thought.
a050.gif
How many guinea pigs have died or gotten ill since they became a household pets hundreds of years ago because the owners have fed them the wrong things unaware?
a050.gif
Lots may be dead due to a direct link with dock leaves and unless it's proven and warnings go out to owners in books and the internet then it can happen again and again for decades into the future.
a020.gif
Sometimes research is needed for the good of the rest of species IMO.
a010.gif

& that's why I think research is needed because people can give animals stuff with no thought.
a050.gif
How many guinea pigs have died or gotten ill since they became a household pets hundreds of years ago because the owners have fed them the wrong things unaware?
a050.gif
Lots may be dead due to a direct link with dock leaves and unless it's proven and warnings go out to owners in books and the internet then it can happen again and again for decades into the future.
a020.gif
Sometimes research is needed for the good of the rest of species IMO.
a010.gif
Oops.
f010.gif
Sorry I posted that before realising there was a page 3 to this thread.
k015.gif
Where's the delete button on this site?
c028.gif
I wasn't purposefully arguing.
a100.gif

& you can’t edit old posts.
a050.gif
That’s a blow cos I often edit old posts cos I often make spelling or word blunders, and I’ve just noticed one too.
e021.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back