Couldn't Say No!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there again.
Cool move that young man! She's beautiful, its hard to walk away from such beautiful little creatures. All my girl clan have all lived together. We got the first two with the third coming about a month to 5 weeks later. They pushed her out to my astonishment at the time because I thought they were large group animals and would all muck in. She stayed under the ramp downstairs In the two storey cage because they wouldn't let her join in. She got poorly, cold, so she came in and got love, attention and extra cuddles from the human family. I moved the cage to a different area in the play room so she wasn't opposite a door for drafts and reintroduced them on neutral territory, my living room floor! After that all went well, till my son pulled the exact same trick on me in a pet store, falling in love with a beautiful chocolate and white girl with red eyes! Boys, tough aren't they? She wasn't alone though but she melted his heart enough for me to say, phone your Dad, ask him. Alas, having my daughter with me meant I got the 'well, if he can I should be able to!' routine. So I said if you both are I am as well! And so the next three came home, the 3 went to our first little clan of 6, a new shed purchased for living quarters and kitted out entirely for them and we've never looked back! Intro's went alright, stuck them all together in one made up cage to start with, with just a divider of mesh down the middle, so they could see and smell one another but not harm or bully.
The original 6 are sadly no longer with us. When we were down to four, we got four rescue, so we had 8! When we were down to four again this March, we got another 4 babies. Made mistake of going to a pet shop chain and couldn't walk out without them! Sadly, they all came infested heavily in mites and two have had recurring illnesses of one thing or another ever since. I never quarantined any of my previous lot as I was blissfully ignorant of the fact I was supposed to! Never had a minutes problem with any of them. But this new lot! So glad I decided weather was too cold, or all 8 would have had health issues. Just walked in today to find one of the new ones dead. Absolutely heart broken.
Best of luck with your girls. I hope they get along just fine. Helene.
( I said your cage set up was good and how pretty Nancy and your daughter were!)

They're all SO cute! :love: If in the future they started to get snippy with each other and you thought of making 3 into 4 it would be worth considering a neutered boar - when we lost Rocket the girls were quite catty with each other but bringing Eddie in calmed things down again.
I would love to maybe do that. But I have yet to see a neutered boar in the states or at least in my state. I could always check on the cost of having it done.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Hey there again.
Cool move that young man! She's beautiful, its hard to walk away from such beautiful little creatures. All my girl clan have all lived together. We got the first two with the third coming about a month to 5 weeks later. They pushed her out to my astonishment at the time because I thought they were large group animals and would all muck in. She stayed under the ramp downstairs In the two storey cage because they wouldn't let her join in. She got poorly, cold, so she came in and got love, attention and extra cuddles from the human family. I moved the cage to a different area in the play room so she wasn't opposite a door for drafts and reintroduced them on neutral territory, my living room floor! After that all went well, till my son pulled the exact same trick on me in a pet store, falling in love with a beautiful chocolate and white girl with red eyes! Boys, tough aren't they? She wasn't alone though but she melted his heart enough for me to say, phone your Dad, ask him. Alas, having my daughter with me meant I got the 'well, if he can I should be able to!' routine. So I said if you both are I am as well! And so the next three came home, the 3 went to our first little clan of 6, a new shed purchased for living quarters and kitted out entirely for them and we've never looked back! Intro's went alright, stuck them all together in one made up cage to start with, with just a divider of mesh down the middle, so they could see and smell one another but not harm or bully.
The original 6 are sadly no longer with us. When we were down to four, we got four rescue, so we had 8! When we were down to four again this March, we got another 4 babies. Made mistake of going to a pet shop chain and couldn't walk out without them! Sadly, they all came infested heavily in mites and two have had recurring illnesses of one thing or another ever since. I never quarantined any of my previous lot as I was blissfully ignorant of the fact I was supposed to! Never had a minutes problem with any of them. But this new lot! So glad I decided weather was too cold, or all 8 would have had health issues. Just walked in today to find one of the new ones dead. Absolutely heart broken.
Best of luck with your girls. I hope they get along just fine. Helene.
( I said your cage set up was good and how pretty Nancy and your daughter were!)
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

So far everyone has been very healthy. I just can't keep them out of the darn hay bag grrrr. I made another one out of a bent grid and they go up under it now! I can't stand having a hay tray because it stinks so much more (urine). I have to figure something out. I did find a thing at the pet store I like, we will see how that works lol. They're so crafty lol. So were going to get them out for floor time and I'm going to add the loft back in and try making it for hay and then for a little while have one of the bottom as well.

I went to a flea market yesterday and got a whole stack of grids for 4$ I saw them and (so excited) was like how much. They're blue, so at some point I might take the bottom black ones off and replace them with the blue ones so the ones we see all match. I can't believe one whole wall of my house is for a piggie cage lol lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Couldn't have done it without this place and all of you. :)

Angela

OMG they seem so happy that I added the loft and more tunnels ect. They're all getting along great!

I think when and IF my husband notices there are 3 I'm just going to say "what are you talking about, we've always had 3" lol lol.

Awwww he finally noticed lol. He was sitting on the couch. They've been running and running (in a good way) since I added the loft. He says in his girly making fun of me voice lol" must look at the guinea pigs allllllll day". Then he goes there's 3 of them in there? I tried the there has been 3 and it didn't work. I said yeah for like almost a week. He didn't seem mad at least. I told him what our son did.

So it took almost a week. I told him everyone on here wanted to see how long it was going to take him to notice lol lol.

Nessie is such a beautiful little girl and how lovely to have gone to a wonderful home like yours. I absolutely adore boys/men who like guinea pigs. My boyfriend regularly gets out one of our piggies in particular, charlie, for a cuddle and talks to him like a baby. I think it shows their caring side :)

I think a lady on here called Wiebke had loads of female piggies living together (all with beautiful names!)

As for trio's, I think they possibly can work. I have three boars living together, although as ayemee says, it definately helps if one is most definately the boss pig (as my elliot is) and the other two are laid back and easy going and not that interested in ruling the piggy kingdom, and it's definately easier if there is an age gap between the two established piggies and the newcomer. My two boars were almost 3 years old when 8-wheeek-old baby charlie met them. My charlie and oscar are both extremely laid back and so, so far it's working well and all three are great friends, touch wood. Charlie is now 10 month old so I am not sure if he is past the teenage hormonal stage where he would want to fight the others, but he is a quiet, sweet natured piggy so far, and it certainly helps to have loads of room for them to move around in their homes. With oscar and elliot, they used to live in a decent sized cage, but not great and they used to rumblestrutt constanly, but since they've been in a 5 ft long downstairs and 5ft long upstairs hutch, they never rumblestrutt!

Good luck!

I hope things continue to go well! :) it's lovely when a plan (however unexpected) comes together! :) when I adopted my elderly paired boars, I didn't go out intending to. I think some piggies you just see and instantly know they're meant to be with you :)

Thanks everyone! We really do love them and they're each very different in many ways (personality). I'm still not quite sure where Nessie's sweet spot is lol. Kitty and Nancy have the same one, behind their ears. Kitty is starting to trust me more and more, so she likes a little belly scratch if I reach under with one finger lol. Chest, nope I get the paw on my finger to stop lol. The way I see it Kitty is top pig, then I think Nancy, but I think Nancy wouldn't mind being top pig and then Nessie. Kitty seems to like Nessie more than Nancy "I think" lol.

I hope things continue to go well! :) it's lovely when a plan (however unexpected) comes together! :) when I adopted my elderly paired boars, I didn't go out intending to. I think some piggies you just see and instantly know they're meant to be with you :)
I agree, the week before I saw the cutest pig at that store, and while I did want her it was easier to say no, maybe because she wasn't alone?

When we have snuggle time, I tell them that they should be happy because they could have been adopted by a little kid and had to live by themselves in a tiny cage and get picked up and squeezed and maybe not gotten fresh veggies everyday lol. Sort of like when I leave, I always put animal cops on for the dogs to watch on the tv, so they know how good they have it lol lol. Too bad they don't have a piggie patrol show on animal planet. Lol

I agree, the week before I saw the cutest pig at that store, and while I did want her it was easier to say no, maybe because she wasn't alone?

When we have snuggle time, I tell them that they should be happy because they could have been adopted by a little kid and had to live by themselves in a tiny cage and get picked up and squeezed and maybe not gotten fresh veggies everyday lol. Sort of like when I leave, I always put animal cops on for the dogs to watch on the tv, so they know how good they have it lol lol. Too bad they don't have a piggie patrol show on animal planet. Lol

Hahaha! Its true though! I find it hard in pet shops because even though I don't want to encourage them to keep replacing them like little machines, I can't help but think they kind of need rescuing too! Its not their fault that they are in that situation and it makes me feel awful.

Hahaha! Its true though! I find it hard in pet shops because even though I don't want to encourage them to keep replacing them like little machines, I can't help but think they kind of need rescuing too! Its not their fault that they are in that situation and it makes me feel awful.
Couldn't have said it better and feel the same way. I asked my husband if we could just get rid of the kitchen table that no one eats at and just block off the entrances and make it a piggie room lol. He said no :(

Couldn't have said it better and feel the same way. I asked my husband if we could just get rid of the kitchen table that no one eats at and just block off the entrances and make it a piggie room lol. He said no :(

Aww thats a shame :( I've already told my boyfriend once we get a house we need one with a pig enough spare room for a piggie room! I'm currently floating between my home with my mum and student accommodation. So I can't have a piggie room either :(

Let them either meet pre-fully-committed-intro through grids or commit fully to an introduction! Once they are together, they will start working through the bonding protocol and every separation is basically an abortion of that protocol! Highly irritating and counterproductive for the piggies when they are not allowed to get on with finding out whether they like each other or not and where in the hierarchy they come!

Imagine yourself meeting your potential Mr. Right through prison bars in a supervised visitor cell for half an hour once a week... ;)[/QUOT
Thanks everyone! We really do love them and they're each very different in many ways (personality). I'm still not quite sure where Nessie's sweet spot is lol. Kitty and Nancy have the same one, behind their ears. Kitty is starting to trust me more and more, so she likes a little belly scratch if I reach under with one finger lol. Chest, nope I get the paw on my finger to stop lol. The way I see it Kitty is top pig, then I think Nancy, but I think Nancy wouldn't mind being top pig and then Nessie. Kitty seems to like Nessie more than Nancy "I think" lol.

Aww, poor Nancy, I think she's beautiful! I hope all three become good friends, or you get a newbie again that hopefully Nancy warms to. Doesn't always work that way though does it, she may get pushed out or feel threatened again! Give her a little hug from me. And a scratch on the sweet spot for Nellie and Kitty!

Aww, poor Nancy, I think she's beautiful! I hope all three become good friends, or you get a newbie again that hopefully Nancy warms to. Doesn't always work that way though does it, she may get pushed out or feel threatened again! Give her a little hug from me. And a scratch on the sweet spot for Nellie and Kitty!
Awww I will. I don't really see anyone being pushed out as of yet. None of them snuggle together. But I had never seen Kitty power groom nancy, but maybe that's because they came at the same time, from the same place. My hunch is that she likes Nessie a little more. They all seem to get along fine so far. :D

Be back later going to see the new Purdge movie. Can you imagine if the world really had 12 hours a year like that?!? Yikes!

Gotta stop and pick up veggies on the way. I'll have to put them in a cooler while at the movie lol. Veggies in a cooler for my pigs while at the movie, I can't believe it lol.

Ok something weird is going on. Nancy keeps following Kitty around and humping her, she's not really bothering Nessy too much. So is she trying to take over as leader? Or just feeling frisky? @Wiebke Kitty gets annoyed and rumbles at her I've only seen her snap at her once. Pigs are so complicated lol.

It could be that she is in season. My Katie is causing chaos at the moment for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back