Could my piggies live under my bed?

Could they? (please read the topic before voting!)

• Yes, definately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but a few changes to your plan are needed

• I'm not sure but it looks like a good idea

• I'm not sure but it looks like a bad idea

• Other...?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Before you worry, no I don't mean an average height bed and shoving the piggies under there :P

Anyway, I saw pics of someone who had built a guinea pig cage from wood and then put a mattress on top...soo, it got me thinking.

At the moment my bedroom looks like this:
bedroomnow.png

(oh, on the pic I forgot to add, where Tic and Tacs cage is that is also my draws which can stay there ;)

As you can see, yes it is rather crowded lol..well, really, it's not as bad as it looks but still quite crowded.

So, I was thinking, it could look more like this:
bedroomfuture.png

My bed is kind of like one of those high sleeper thingies..it is a bunk bed but with the bottom bed missing. I can fit a 2x6 underneath it easily. It would be harder to get to, but I could then have it on the floor, not on a stand, because all supplies can go on the same shelves that the hamsters are on.

So, really, it's all round goodness...can anyone think of any bad points? I can't see any but all feedback is appreciated whether good or bad. If it's negative can you please suggest how I can improve it :) If it's positive then still, suggestions on how it could be better are appreciated.

This would also mean that I can put a playpen round the computer and round the shelves for the hamsters and they can all have floor time running around the whole room! (seperately, of course)

Please reply :)

Jane

Hi Jane,

Yep it can be done but you probably won't sleep!...lol I have been sleeping in the living room to keep an eye on Cuzzy and the girls keep me awake with their constant drinking and wheeking at one another. If your pigs are generally quieter of the night, and my boys are, then it won't be a problem! :)

Where are they kept at the moment?

Louise
x

If you look in the first picture they are already in my room ;) They're only about a metre and a half away from my bed anyway, so I doubt being underneath will bother me that much ;D

Thanks for the feedback :D

Thanks :) Like I said the noise they make doesn't bother me at all - I already listen to four hamster wheels going at once, or one of the hamsters chewing on the bars/climbing up the sides etc so yeah if I couldn't hear noise at night I'd be worried ;D

Oh goodness hamsters and there wheels....i remember that noise vividly as i had hamsters all thru my teen years.... i took the wheel out at night

Hi jane soz i didnt reply to msn, lol i wasnt there i left it logged in accidently :P

Ayway i think your plan looks great so you should definatly try it O0

Sounds great. Send us some pics when your all set up. How do you sleep? lol Had Murphy in my room other night when he was ill and the noise was terrible lol. I am a terrible light sleeper though. :)

Sounds like a great space saver to me. O0
As you have the piggies in with you anyway, I wouldn't think they would disturb you.
As for hamster wheels, how do you get any sleep? :)

Thanks everyone :) I was lying in bed for an hour last night thinking about this haha :D I thought of two problems...
1) Will it be too dark under there? It's not that dark, but maybe I could put some lighting on the bottom of my bed...it will still be about 1 1/2 meters away from the piggies. Maybe I could use rope lights? I've seen some pictures of cages with ropes lights around the actual top of the grids (which I don't like the idea of) but surely if that's safe then they'll be okay up there?
2) This one isn't piggy related but thought you'd like to know anyway ;D I only have one plug socket and it's under my bed but hey I'm sure my dad can sort something out.

I think I'm gunna do it next weekend hopefully :D

Alfie said:
As for hamster wheels, how do you get any sleep? :)

;D They don't bother me at all! My syrian, Charlie, has a wodent wheel which is nearly silent. Tic and Tac have a silent spinner which is silent (for now ::)) and a habitrail wheel which squeaks a bit but I get used to it...Toe doesn't run in his wheel much but it's pretty quiet when he does ;) If I didn't hear the noise at night I'd be worried :D

O0 sounds like a great idea to me, we put our C&C cage on Lino so we can just pull it forward to clean out behind it (there is a COREX inner)

Ask your dad to run a fused four way switchable extension lead from the socket :D

post some piccies when it is all done

Umm what's one of those lol :D Is it just one of those extention block thingies with four sockets? If so I dunno whether that would work, well, it would, but then I would have a wire going across the middle of my room?

I dunno what he`s on about either 98) ;D

Sounds like a good idea to me though but like pp2 says, if you put the cages on lino or a big mat, you could just pull it out to clean it. I wanted my cages on an mdf base with 4 lockable wheels but my OH said no :'(

Ooh you could get some of those pink fluffy lights to go round your bed to make a bit more light they would look lovely!! :smitten:

If i was young again and had my own room like you i would get some. Love all things girly and pink lol :smitten: :smitten:

My dad says he knows how I can do the electric to there so yeah *shrug* lol

They're on about doing it today! Ahhhhh. My bedroom is such a tip lol. I need to get tidying lol.

Don't have anything to put the cage on at the moment :-\ but I will get something someday lol.

I can't wait - it will be a lot better :) Lots more room, the animals can have floor time really easily without it being awkward and also I wont be so cramped underneath here. :D

At the moment my computer desk is screwed into my bed ? lol dunno why I think it's supporting the ladder so dad is going to do something to that too.

Lindsay - eww I don't want pink fluffyness lol ;D Do you think fairy lights would be okay? I thought they wouldn't be bright enough..

any ideas on whether rope lights (or fairy lights) would be okay?

I'm sure they would be fine without the pink fluffyness. I should think now would be a good time to look as lots of fancy ones will be coming out for Christmas. Shame i couldnt convince you pink is best (only joking) lol :smitten:

Do you think fairy lights will be bright enough though? I think I'll get dad to get ours out of the loft for the xmas tree and see if they're okay - if they are I'll buy soe, if not I'll get another idea ;D

I should go tidy now..wahh.

Just looked on ebay put in fairy lights and all the pink fluffy ones came up first lol. They have got lots of others as well. Tried to provided a link but dont know how to do it from ebay.

Wow! Jane you are sooo lucky to have a famioly that cares and loved your pets! My mum wont let me even have my pigs inside!
I think the rope lighting is brill idea! What about the yellow/gold rope lights?
And what about a theme for your cage to tie in with the lights?
Your pigs are lucky!
I want pics when its done! :D

I would say yes it would definatly be ok.
I know someone who has a 6ft Bosc monitor vivarium fitted under the bed

Thanks guys. Well, if anyone thinks it's a bad idea I'm afraid it's done now ;D

Well, I still have random bits and bobs to find places for, and besides the fact that at the moment I can't get into my bed....but hey ;)

Sounds like you have been working hard today Jane to get everything moved for your piggies. Dont forget we would like to see pics if thats possible.

I have been busy all day doing my piggy shed its nearly finished will post pics when its all complete. Its all hard work but fun and def worth it for our pets :smitten:

Yep have taken loads of pics over the day and will take some more tomorrow when it's tidy(er!) then will post them tomorrow :)

Ooh this sounds great Jane! It will give you loads more room, can't wait to see piccies! :)

first i didnt know whether it would be a good idea because i didnt realise your bed was high off ground lol. but now i think its a fab idea. i changed round my bedroom yesterday well 4am this morning lol and I'm loving the new changes :D

I would think it would be a great space saver as long as they have natural light :) The only thing I would mention (and you probably have it covered) is that a mattress/bed can produce an awful lot of dust/dust mites under it so that dust may end up on the piggies unless there is something solid under the mattress where you sleep. It sounds like you may have that sorted already as you said you had wood under your mattress though? I mean so there is a barrier between your mattress and your piggies, does that make sense?! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back