• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Clarice has lymphoma

I’m so sorry, Clarice has been helped over the Rainbow Bridge but she will have known just how much you cared and loved her. It’s such a hard decision but made from love. Take care x

Sleep tight little Clarice 🌈

Thank you all for the outpouring of support and well wishes. Clarice took her final journey across the rainbow bridge around 3pm today 😢 my heart is broken x

BIG HUGS

Be sad and take your time to grieve but please keep in mind that you have not failed Clarice in any way. None of us can ever choose when and what from a piggy dies but we can spare them the last hours and days of suffering. As heart-breaking as your decision was, it was the right one and the most loving gift you could give Clarice. I hope that you will find peace in that in the longer term once your heart and your head come back together again eventually.

If you or your husband feel overwhelmed by unexpected emotions or find yourself trapped in a bad thought pattern, you may find the advice and resources in this link here helpful: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Here is what you can do for any companions of Clarice: Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

BIG HUGS

Be sad and take your time to grieve but please keep in mind that you have not failed Clarice in any way. None of us can ever choose when and what from a piggy dies but we can spare them the last hours and days of suffering. As heart-breaking as your decision was, it was the right one and the most loving gift you could give Clarice. I hope that you will find peace in that in the longer term once your heart and your head come back together again eventually.

If you or your husband feel overwhelmed by unexpected emotions or find yourself trapped in a bad thought pattern, you may find the advice and resources in this link here helpful: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Here is what you can do for any companions of Clarice: Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Thank you so much Wiebke. You have been so helpful, as everyone has always been on the forum. I also think we are truly blessed that we adopt from Suzy at GGPR. She has been like a grief counsellor for me on several occasions..!

As soon as we had Clarice’s diagnosis, we arranged to have our single boy Peter neutered as they’ve all lived next door to each other for 11 months now they’re quite fond of each other. We’ll take bonding advice for Pete and Cora when Cora has had some time to process the loss of Clarice 😢 x

Give yourselves time to grieve.

Good that you have already got a further plan for Cora; that means a lot less emotional stress for yourself since you already have a bond to Peter that is not touched by your loss of Clarice.
The time to introduce Peter and Cora is when you notice them interacting more through the bars and Cora hanging out more at the divider.

Give yourselves time to grieve.

Good that you have already got a further plan for Cora; that means a lot less stress for yourself since you already have a bond to Peter that is not touched by your loss of Clarice.
The time to introduce Peter and Cora is when you notice them interacting more through the bars and Cora hanging out more at the divider.

Yes definitely. Cora and Pete were very fond of one another anyway - Peter has been checking on Cora all afternoon at the divider 😢 when she’s ready to spend time with him again, we’ll look at the bonding advice ❤️ x

PS: You are a very caring and considering piggy mum. I am a planner-ahead, like you; so I can fully appreciate your deapth of care. :)

Unfortunately, the pain of the loss never gets any less - especially when you have been caring for a terminally ill or special needs piggy for a long time and have built up a much closer bond. But you will find that seeing Cora with Peter is more like the start of a new, very different journey than the end of the old one and that it will give you consolation to see Cora happy and busy again rather than a stab of pain. It is of course always difficult and painful when you have to retrain yourself in your daily routine to accommodate the loss of one you have cared for much more closely but taking your remaining piggies into a ver different direction will actually help this process.

PS: You are a very caring and considering piggy mum. I am a planner-ahead, like you; so I can fully appreciate your deapth of care. :)

Unfortunately, the pain of the loss never gets any less - especially when you have been caring for a terminally ill or special needs piggy for a long time and have built up a much closer bond. But you will find that seeing Cora with Peter is more like the start of a new, very different journey than the end of the old one and that it will give you consolation to see Cora happy and busy again rather than a stab of pain. It is of course always difficult and painful when you have to retrain yourself in your daily routine to accommodate the loss of one you have cared for much more closely but taking your remaining piggies into a ver different direction will actually help this process.

Thank you so much for saying this. I admit the guilt has hit me hard with this one as she was eating on and off again but she just seemed uncomfortable, unable to settle but not moving properly either etc. It has been a hard day but that’s because I love her so much.
I already cannot wait to see how Cora and Peter get along. Cora has eaten her supper like a little champion but broke my heart as she seemed to be sniffing around in Clarice’s bed for her, as if she thought I had managed to bring her home again 😭 I am checking the camera in their bedroom constantly. It hurts to love them so much 😢

Back