cage build so far, thoughts, tips, critisism welcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to be fleecing the ramp too, what's max height the average pig can climb? I saved ;) a breeze block from side of road earlier & also misses donated some smaller bricks from her back garden. Was going to put breeze block under ramp bottom but looks a bit heigh now & rough so wasn;t sure at what point roughness is good for claw wearing down or it just becomes annoying to their feet?

No fleece today just lots of science thingy food, bowls, toys & castle home thing (dont ask the misses has imaginary dragons in her head er i mean as pets so likes castles 98) lol) got 2 missed deliveries from parcelfarce today thou so more goodies me thinks :D Went on pampered piggies site today & spent yet more hard earner on future flat mates ;)

Latest pix including the different brick options:
bricks1.jpg

build6.jpg

Si

Right latest pix below:

Had to cut a bit more out of ramp entrance at top as way too low with the fleece plus lined it with fleece partly because i could & partly cause it wasn't 100% smooth & i only had hacksaw not sandpaper :D lol

build7.jpg

build8.jpg

build9.jpg

build10.jpg

build11.jpg

Any cunning plans on layout whether too much stuff or placement? Trying to leave space round outside of area so free to run round like loonies? Plus too many beds (2 huts, 2 proped open fleece pocket thingies & 1 snuggle without the plastic insert to hold opening open, also got a tent thing not currently in there, 2 bottle, 1 hay rack, 1 hay spinning ball thingy & 1 hanging thing to fill with hay &/or treats, 1 wooden chew ball with holes for sticking things in, 1 straw type ball, 1 bowl, need another bowl one broke in post :( ) less is more or all good? Any improvements AKA constructive critisism welcome :)

Also any thoughts on the ramp whether i should trim fleece back so it's just on the flat bit to avoid potential climbing up sides & jumping off thing?

Obviously got to add a bit of hay for play & eating but no point till the lill oinkers are on their way......

Ta
Si

omigod that is amazing! You could certainly fit a herd in there (checks requirements) you could fit 3 in a 5x2 c&c, so yours is 5x3....maybe 4 pigs? :D
Rescue pigs won't know they're born when they get into that cage! Don't be offended if they hide in one of the houses and don't come out for a few days. They prob won't know what to do with the space! When I made mine a ramp (which they had never had before) they ignored it for a few days, you might find yours do. Once they get going they love rushing up and down though :D

i think in theiry if i gave bear minimum space it would allow for 10 but no danger of that........lol
Si

That is ace you've done a cracking job! Your piggies will be loving it! Have you decided what sex to get? Or will you wait and decide on the day?
And can I ask is that fleece or vetbed?

it's vetbed goodies c/o ebay bought 3 of the big ones & got another different coloured one free :D

Not decided yet there was a male recovering from the snip, the RSPCA were going to try putting with female after the 2 week wait post op. Either way i'll take whatever ones, ideally 3 or 4 eventually that can go together & the RSPCA have.

Si

are the bricks definately a good idea just seems a bit harsh & not too stabble on the soft vetbed?
Si

IMO the bricks should be fine, the run underneath our guinea pig hutch (for summer use) is on slabs. I asked the same question worried about the slabs, but everyone assured me they were fine for their feet. I don't know how old the piggies are you will be getting but ours are about 1 1/2 years old now and they can get on top of the house in their indoor cage which is much higher than the bricks - you'll be surprised how they stretch to have a nosey around! As for them being stable on the vetbed, I can't help with that I'm afraid, sorry :-\

I'm sure they'll be stable as they are down long ways so can't imagine them tipping piggies are excessively heavy. They will be good for there nails as well. I have a high wooden bridge in my cage and they climb up onto it and is it quiet hugh they also can get onto upper rack where hay is in one jump they don't even use the ramp lol tho it's not that high but high enough to scare me ;D

really not that hard to make just a mass of cable tie abuse & some imagination :D
Si

Well i think thats brilliant, the Piggys will love it

Have you decided on any yet ?

currently waiting for a couple at local RSPCA to get through their ailments & post neutering to be paired up etc etc......
Si

does anyone know anyone that could make a c and c cage for 2 piggies as i am disabled and couldnt do it i live in leicestershire

That looks fab!
I'm faffing around with shed once they are all out for summer planning clear out scrub down(in side of shed ;D ) and i like the idea of c&c all in side 3 layers to make up at least 3 runs each level but thats still in the planing in me haed stage!
Well done with yours thou!
ROn

& finally got 2 girls making themselves at home before the boar at RSPCA is sufficiently over his neutreing to join them. Misses already has earmarked getting another 2 girls & 1 boy. Will post sum pix later.........

Sally how big you thinking?
Si

WOW, that cage looks great, it has given me a idea for mine, as I have just started to make a new cage for my piggies. :) :)

scooby_si said:
& finally got 2 girls making themselves at home before the boar at RSPCA is sufficiently over his neutreing to join them. Misses already has earmarked getting another 2 girls & 1 boy. Will post sum pix later.........

Sally how big you thinking?
Si

about 4-5 ft long by about 3 ft wide its for my 2 boys

sally gill said:
does anyone know anyone that could make a c and c cage for 2 piggies as i am disabled and couldnt do it i live in leicestershire

Maybe you could start a seperate post about this? Your question has probably got a bit lost in this thread :) I would but I am in Surrey :-\

they seem to be enjoying running up & down the ramp now they've overcome fears of it. I'll get some better pix up later as i borrowed camera from work :D
Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back