cage build so far, thoughts, tips, critisism welcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Yet to buy any piggies but midway through my build now based largely on the first cage images i saw.

Thought it would be cunning to ask for any hints tips, critisisms or thoughts before i bolt her all together only to of missed something obvious or worse dangerous. So your thoughts please folks:

Basic principle of 5x3 with 3x2 2nd floor, cable tied with 3 ties on walls & 2 on each side for flooring + correx cut to shape:

build2.jpg

Wasn't sure of how to best support second floor beyond cable ties so figured a couple of bars which i'll put ends on & against the wall to stop them sliding out would be a good back up & potential to hang toys/food off:

build1.jpg

With regards seond floor also going to fully enclose it with ramp joining it in the middle of a grid so no potential piggie suicide attempts. Decided to do it in middle to allow free runnign round outside of cage downstairs & to save on having to do more grids down the side. Looks a bit low thou so figure i should cut another section higher to allow free running, will line it all with fleece so they wont catch on it at all:

build3.jpg

Maybe stick the ramp through more so no gaps at all?

build4.jpg

Got vetbed fleece stuff on order + the essentials then it's off to local rescue home to save some squeaky piggies.

Your thoughts please folks?

Ta

Si

It looks super. It's so nice to see folks sorting out piggy accommodation before the piggies arrive. Did you cut the hole out of the grid yourself? I agree with you and think you could maybe cut another square or two higher. Did you manage to get the sharp edges off? I would also stick the ramp through like you said so that there's no risk of little feet getting caught.

Just a wee hint for the ramp. Do you mean you'd put vetbed on it? If you mean fleece like blankets then I wouldn't - it's a pain as it can slip and roll down or fall through the grids. Vetbed should be fine on it, though.

O0 O0

Wow, very nice cage, looks similar to mine. I am going to add a second level to my cage as well sometime soon, just need to get some more grids and correx.

yeah just been abusing hacksaw privledges although do need to smooth off edges still, cut extra square out now & looks far better, will be correx & vetbed fleecing the ramp too.....
Ta
Si

Brilliant Si well done! :D It's a Jigsaw puzzle isn't it! C&C has confused me for months...lol But I've finally got to grips with it now I think! :) Can't wait until your cage is full of pigs! :D

i quite enjoy it but then i am an analytical bore & used to love technic lego as a kid....lol.

Scarey how many cable ties i've used thou :o

Can't wait to get it more homely now.

Si

I loved the lego too! Must be why I love making cages! ;D I used twine on mine but it took forever to do! Keep us posted on it, looks fab so far! :D

Probably an obvious question but i notice a lot of the ramps seem to be placed on bricks etc at the bottom, presumably so they can go right underneath without hitting heads etc?

Just wondered if this was case & if it's better to have a big brick so they can walk all over it or just a small one to raise the base of the ramp? Any types of bricks prefered or best avoided if that's not a silly question?

Ta

Si

I don't have any bricks at the bottom of my ramps..I always thought it was to make the ramps less steep? I used to have a few bricks in my cage but took them out, they just ignored them anyway. They were just regular bricks from Wicks - one's without the holes in them of course.

The cage is look great O0

saw some bricks/kerbs at side of road driving home might go & liberate them tomorrow :D

Silly question but is there anything you can or should do to the cable ties to make them less sharp where cut down as they seem a bit harsh at the minute?
Ta
Si

latest pikky, bedding should arrive within a couple of days so then final touches before piggie hunting a proper starts.....
build5.jpg

Si

Well what can i say except thats great :D well done to you O0 I'm soooo jealous now ::) ;D

Wow that is awesome, you have done an amazing job! I've just showed my hubby and he wants one like that now ;D
Will have to wait for our conservatory tho as not enought room for a monstrosity like that! Well done you bet your so excited now about getting your piggies x :smitten:

Wow what a gorgeous cage! You've done a fantastic job! I'm sure your new Piggys will be in seventh heaven in that mansion! lol

Have you got any ideas on where you're getting your babies from yet? Have a look in the rescue section there are always piggys looking for homes in there. Or perhaps try guineapigrehome? Wherebouts are you? I'm sure there are lots of great piggys in rescue centres around you who would love a forever home :)

Good luck and again GREAT cage!

RSPCA place near me in Coventry is looking most likely at least for first few ;)

Lots of rescues & lots of piggies so dont worry no fear of me allowing people to profit from pig abuse & my quest for such cute animals!

Si

RSPCA place near me in Coventry is looking most likely at least for first few

Oh oh. That sounds like the start of something big lol. You looking for a herd? :P

scooby_si said:
RSPCA place near me in Coventry is looking most likely at least for first few ;)

Lots of rescues & lots of piggies so dont worry no fear of me allowing people to profit from pig abuse & my quest for such cute animals!

Si

You right by me then there is a guinea pig rescue in Kersely Village as well only just found out about that O0

yeah went to "RAGS" Rabbit & guinea pig sanctuary, they did have more to choose from & probably more already paired up etc etc. Was cool & bizarre so many saved animals in one back garden. Just feel more like going RSPCA & not just cause thew woman there looking after the small animals was pretty fit (si looks over shoulder to see if misses will read this thread) lol.

Bit soon to be after a herd but after many years office work reminded me there are jobs out there i would love, althou i said i'd end up doing time for what i'd do to the neglegent owners you must encounter.

Did do fantasy farm shopping on net all i need is a few hundred grand more now to pay the bills then i can consider it more realistically........... ^-^

Si

that woman looking after the piggie in RSPCA is my neighbour ;D ;D

I haven't been to RAGS yet but gonna go for a nosey, so it's just a womans garden then :D cool!

Basically yeah, more Rabbit focused but still all good in doing what it can for piggies.

You aint seen me roight.....lol
Si

Love the layout - if you ever get bored of the office job... ;D

Carrie x

Just finished cable tieing 2nd floor on having put a few bath mats underneath to stop it all slipping on the floor.

Missed a package today which i'll pick up tomorrow & all goign well it'll be the fleece bedding with a few more packages to turn up later in week it'll be fine tuning time & then operation bring on le squeakages

Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back