Hot Topic Book Reviews and Recommendations

• Thread starter Thread starter DM090820
  • Start date Start date
Next up I'm reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. It's an American young adult novel about an indigenous boy who lives on a reservation and goes to an all white school.

A shame what we did and do to native Americans. A lot of them still don't have electricity or Internet and we pushed them all onto reservations.

Have you ever read Anne McCaffrey’s books - they’re fantasy / sci-fi and very good.
I also like a lot of Jasper Fford’s books.
I would describe them as ‘ off the wall ‘ but great fun.

No, I'll have to check those out.

I've had to do so much reading for my master's I haven't been able to do much personal reading. But I have a break coming up.

Have you ever read Anne McCaffrey’s books - they’re fantasy / sci-fi and very good.
I also like a lot of Jasper Fford’s books.
I would describe them as ‘ off the wall ‘ but great fun.
I've read Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.
Great books.

So I bought The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian and an Anne McCaffrey book, Dragonflight. Not sure when I'll be able to read them.

I also got a middle eastern cookbook and a vegan cookbook to motivate myself to cook more. I'm going to start with a cream dessert if I can find orange blossom water.

Thanks for the recommendation of Robin Hobb, I’ll have a look for them.

I love cook books. My husband wouldn’t let me one I saw in a garden centre. He reminded me that we were trying to downsize and pack for moving house.

I don’t know if they’re available in the USA. but Delia Smith’s cook books are good

Just googled Delia Smith. Looks like she has some good lamb recipes. I like Donna Hay. She's Australian and her recipes remind me of neo-american/Australian cooking. I made lamb, eggplant, feta moussaka for my ex and he said it was the best he ever tasted, and he's middle eastern.

@fluffysal I took your Robin Hobb suggestion and bought the Assassin's Apprentice. I read the first chapter and am digging the way it's written.

My top three books ever are:

Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck
The Stranger by Camus
The Octopus by Frank Norris

They are all classics, two American and one French.

I read The Plague, and also enjoyed it.

I got a British magazine you may have heard of, Philosophy Now. I haven't started reading it.

Also got a book about an American theory called critical race theory about systemic racism in America. But I have to be in the mood for nonfiction, I'll probably read little bits at a time.

I’ve heard of Philosophy Now but never read it.
I did do a philosophy course at a summer school one year which was very interesting.

These days any studying I do is for personal interest and not too taxing.

I studied philosophy for a year in France, think I had like six different philosophy classes a semester. I was terrible at metaphysics and Descartes, just didn't like those classes. I excelled at philosophy of science like studying the different types of reason humans possess and what that means for science, whether science is a social construct etc

I studied philosophy for a year in France, think I had like six different philosophy classes a semester. I was terrible at metaphysics and Descartes, just didn't like those classes. I excelled at philosophy of science like studying the different types of reason humans possess and what that means for science, whether science is a social construct etc
I quite enjoyed the existential philosophers.
I like Jean Paul Sartre as well as Camus.
My interest is more about philosophy and religion

I don't know if you ,ll call these books, l do as you have to read the subs. There chinese drama films, one l into àt the moment, is "love like the galaxy " so good, reading it again, 56 episodes (chapters) the lead male, is eye canny!

I don't know if you ,ll call these books, l do as you have to read the subs. There chinese drama films, one l into àt the moment, is "love like the galaxy " so good, reading it again, 56 episodes (chapters) the lead male, is eye canny!
Good to see you @teddymouse . Hope you’re ok.
Must look out for Love like the Galaxy

Back