Bonding help

It’s a clash in character and the new pig was probably stressed from leaving her herd.
I’m sorry it didn’t work out - hopefully another pig will be a better match.
thank you . Is this a bad idea to get one from a herd like hers as she does have 6 more to choose from. Or do you think this is just bad luck with this piggy.

thank you . Is this a bad idea to get one from a herd like hers as she does have 6 more to choose from. Or do you think this is just bad luck with this piggy.

Any bond is compatibility - character and mutual liking - these two just didn’t have it.
You can certainly try another of your sister in law’s pigs and see what happens.

It would be best if you try and find a way to have her and a new pig live side by side for a few days before trying to bond them.
This allows the new pig time to calm and settle and for them both to get to know each other between the bars before going through the stresses of bonding.
If you can’t do side by side for a few days beforehand, that is fine though. I know it’s not easy with them being outside in a hutch

The rescue advised me when I got the boys that I should make sure I provide two of everything so they have their own private space and can drink/eat etc without having to negotiate the dominant pig - even with two hammocks/beds etc I notice that Stan will often end up in Squirrel's bed (Stan is the top piggy) and then Squirrel goes in his bed. It is really horrible seeing them sort themselves out. There is some great information on here talking about the various levels of acceptance and tolerance and when to separate. I don't know if you just have the two piggies or more and I can only speak from my very limited experience (which is not long at all). Good luck !

The rescue advised me when I got the boys that I should make sure I provide two of everything so they have their own private space and can drink/eat etc without having to negotiate the dominant pig - even with two hammocks/beds etc I notice that Stan will often end up in Squirrel's bed (Stan is the top piggy) and then Squirrel goes in his bed. It is really horrible seeing them sort themselves out. There is some great information on here talking about the various levels of acceptance and tolerance and when to separate. I don't know if you just have the two piggies or more and I can only speak from my very limited experience (which is not long at all). Good luck !
Yeah ive read the information about having 2 of everything and they just don’t seem to want to interact they will just sit miserable in seperate hides all day. And when they are together it’s constant meanness from the new pig . When she’s not even in the way she will launch herself at her (like in the video) and just chase her away from wherever she is . She just wants to chill . Thank you I hope next time is the one !

Yeah ive read the information about having 2 of everything and they just don’t seem to want to interact they will just sit miserable in seperate hides all day. And when they are together it’s constant meanness from the new pig . When she’s not even in the way she will launch herself at her (like in the video) and just chase her away from wherever she is . She just wants to chill . Thank you I hope next time is the one !

Lunging at another pig is defensive rather than aggression so I’m not sure that she is actually being mean as such. It’s also normal for them to not want to be in the same hide but constant refusal to interact and unhappiness when they do is not a good sign.
The key is that your pig was happier when you separated them so that is sadly the answer.

Any bond is compatibility - character and mutual liking - these two just didn’t have it.
You can certainly try another of your sister in law’s pigs and see what happens.

It would be best if you try and find a way to have her and a new pig live side by side for a few days before trying to bond them.
This allows the new pig time to calm and settle and for them both to get to know each other between the bars before going through the stresses of bonding.
If you can’t do side by side for a few days beforehand, that is fine though. I know it’s not easy with them being outside in a hutch
Would it be okay to bond the pigs in an indoor run so I can watch them for. Few days on a camrea . And then move into the hutch? I just find it really hard to watch them when they are outsixe. Would this be okay or would it stress them changing their environment?

Would it be okay to bond the pigs in an indoor run so I can watch them for. Few days on a camrea . And then move into the hutch? I just find it really hard to watch them when they are outsixe. Would this be okay or would it stress them changing their environment?

That’s absolutely fine. It’s normal for piggies to be bonded in one neutral area and then moved to their permanent cage.

You are ok to have them indoors and then move them outside at this time of year as there is no temperature fluctuation. You just can’t do that in winter.

Back