• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloat

• Thread starter Thread starter cavy love
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
you did a terrific job and thank goodness your baby is on the improve. could some one please tell me what causes bloat? as we lost our baby to it 2.5 years ago. you are so lucky your vets are guinea pig savvy. poor petal wasted 2 days on useless vet care and when we did find a vet who knew about guinea pigs they sedated her and put a tube down her thoart to get rid of the bloat. which worked but the stress we all think caused her to have a heart attack and she went to piggy heaven, she was an amazing guinea pig and her passing always haunts me. if only we knew like you did what to do, if only vets here in australia knew what to do. it tore us up when she passed on and still miss her live crazy.
but so glad your angel is on the mends. :)

it's either a build up of gas from certain foods i would think, like brassicas and stuff or something they've chewed (material, plastic etc.)
that has caused a blockage in the gut. I don't think i'll ever know which with pansy, but i'll be cutting down on the amount of brassicas and watching if she eats material, and that goes for all of them! :D
She seems quite tired, which is natural i guess, i *think* she's pooing normally now, have not seen any abnormal poo around and she is drinking loads and having hay and dried food. as the vet said, today we gave her a few little bits of celery which she enjoyed! :)
so we'll see how she goes. i also *think* the bloat has gone completely now, because it's not distended anymore and if you flick it gently it doesn't sound hollow anymore, and it doesn't feel tight. so fingers crossed she's nearly there O0

that is wonderful news, pardon my igoranance but what is brassicas? maybe we call it something else here in australia? like timothy hay, here in australia we have meadow hay, oaten hay, and lucerne hay. so what is timothy hay?
sending love and prayers tto your angel and a job well done! my husband would love pansy as he loves the pansy flowers. good work to both of you! O0

That is wonderful news, you did such a good job and only caught up with this now.

Brassicas are things like sprouts and cabbage etc.....they are quite gassy vegetables ::) I rarely give mine sprouts and they fart afterwards ;D

yeah it's like sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower as lavenderjade said gassy xx0
i hardly ever give them sprouts but there's this lady i know and she's so sweet she gives me stuff for them, at the moment she's giving us sprouts and i don't want to waste it! have to keep off them though i think! :P

why not eat the sprouts yourself? our piggies don't get cabbage, brussel sprouts or things like that. we feed them carrot, silverbeet, celery, spinach, carrottops, grass, brocoli, and parsley. use to give them apples, water and rock melon rind but the vet said no sweets. they get NO dry food as was told by many vets dry food has no nutritional value it is like feeding a child icecream 24/7. they also get straw and hay(oaten) and dandelions when they are around have tried things like parsnip, snow peas, etc but the girls won't have a bar of it.
good to hear your angel is getting better. good job! :smitten:

well it's like the 'scraps' plus none of us like them :P we never fed sprouts to them before, and they won't be again i don't think.
they have a good alround diet. and mine have pellets, which i thought was good for them, cos they'd have grasses and forage in the wild? anyway they're less fattening and better for them than pellets.
she seems fine after the celery so i've just given her a little bit of red pepper, and hopefully, the dihorrea has gone now, if we just gradually re-introduce all the foods. O0 the bloat i'm pretty sure has gone, it doesn't feel tight or anything, and it's gone completely, she looks like a normal healthy piggie. she's still a bit tired, but running and stuff in floor time today as well as resting.
so fingers crossed, she's better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back